BC Boards

treats to use during training ???

what kind of treats would you advise ?

we need to teach him where "his" spot in the garden is . I've read that praise is not enough.

so in your experience ...what was or is the perfect treat to use during training ???

I'm a great fan of string cheese, cut in half and then pulled into strings, where you can pop off little quarter-inch bits with your fingernail. Easy on the digestive system and won't tend to give gas or loose bowels.

I've never used treats for potty training but I guess it's different strokes for different folks. I do use treats for my one dog in obedience and agility training, though. And everyone enjoys an occasionally goodie.

I highly recommend the Zukes Mini Naturals. They are a great size, they come in different flavors, and they seem to be very healthy. I use them all the time for training and I love using them out of all the treats so far! (except for training weaves, I use a popcorn like treat to roll after the weaves so it is easy to see =) )

I normally use the Zukes and they are in the Gentle Leader pouch so easy access for getting treats out during training.

Side note Re: Sue. I did use treats for potty training, and it got to the point where my 2.5 month old puppy would ask to be let outside JUST to get the treat! After he figured out that alone won't work, he proceeded to PRETEND to squat, then turn around quickly smiling and expect his treat :rolleyes::D :D

I used some small marrow bone treats for that, btw.

All these are great suggestions, and I've used most of them. However, think about WHAT you are rewarding and of course, WHEN. If you treat the dog, as someone mentioned, for 'going' and then coming to you - why bother 'going?!'

Anyway, I'd use ALL of these things. Use the 'lesser value' ones (which only your dog can determine) for 'lesser' behaviors, and use the high value ones for things that are either important to you, that you really want to 'cement' or for things that your dog has trouble with. If, for instance, you teach him a sit (OK, that's simple...) and he knows it, but then, gets to where he won't sit, up the ante - go from cheese to chicken, or chicken to steak. You get the idea!

Have you done any clicker training? I never used it until my current dog - and do believe it is (pardon the expression) the cat's meow! My guy isn't terribly food motivated - but bring out that clicker, and I do believe I can get him to do ANYTHING! Mostly done with chicken; also, chicken liver, turkey gizzards, occasional beef, and even elk!

And have fun training!

Thank you very much for all the responses !

I like hearing the voices of experience.

I like to use praise but I read that for potty training they catch on faster , we would like him to go in a specific area of the garden , but rain and snow are creating a problem .... we're constantly soaked :rolleyes:

I bought a clicker and wil read up on it ..learn to use it .

I don't mind giving him treats if that's best but we're still learning ...

My BC is not one for food - it doesn't motivate him a great deal. What worked for me, though, was a vigorous game of tug or a few throws of a tennis ball - I took him where I wanted him to relieve himself, and as soon as he did I would click and immediately take out the toys. He quickly learned the the sooner he got his job done, the sooner the play began.

For training treats for my two as young pups i mostly only used bits of kibble, i didn't use any for training to go to the toilet but what i did and still do with Zac is always take him out to the toilet on his lead and so he has to go or he goes back in. Then he gets his praise when he goes.

One thing though i don't know whether you are intending to give treats yet or not but on the puppy treats that you buy they usually put that they are not suitable to give to pups under 16weeks. Or at least the ones i used had that on. I did find some that were okay for 4weeks plus but most were not. Just a thought if you are going to buy any pre done treats.

Also i would not introduce any other treat or food to your little pup until his tummy has settled. JMO and again i don't know whether you plan to give any other food yet or not but it was just something i thought about after reading your other post. :rolleyes:

I don't think I'm going to give any treats untill his tummy is settled completely.

He's doing much better already .

I just wanted to be prepared ... for when I do need to potty train .

I did not think about the lead ..that's a good idea !

I will read up on the clicker !

I am a huge fan of Zukes mini naturals they are like crack for my dog and if I combine those treats with the clicker you can almost see her vibrate out of her fur with excitement! Also the zukes are so tiny that you don't have to worry about over feeding. I use cheese too, but too much dairy upsets tummy...

My dogs each anything, so whatever I have handy - carrots, cucumbers, lettuce,celery, cauliflower, peas, beans, oranges, apples, pears, watermelon, cantelope, strawberries, leftover cooked meat, cheese, bread crusts, etc.

I also have 8 recipes for good homemade treats that I make. My dogs are on a raw diet, and they love the "Go Natural" Salmon & Oatmeal kibble for treats, as well, as Zuke's etc.

I always make sure I use small bits of soft treats for training. She doesn't mind what flavour, peanutbutter, salmon or chicken. It's a really lucky day when I slice up some cheddar, but again, not too much! She snubs hard biscut treats most times and likes to play with them for a while before she eats them, so I don't train with biscuts.

Personally I don't like food as a reward. Our male came to us at 7 months and would do anything for food. Clicker training sounds like a good alternative to me. JMO

So...all the clicker raining I've seen (starting with Karen Pryor) is based on lick and treat...how can you not use food as a reward and say clicker training sounds like a good alternative? (I do use a toy in place of food sometimes when I do clicker training.)

Barb S