BC Boards

transitioning from fetch to cattle...

Jake is a 4 year old border collie. We rescued him as a flea bitten, scrawny 12 week old, bet we've never been an ideal home. He was a cute pup (aren't they all) and we figured he'd be better off in a less than ideal home than dead. We run, walk and play fetch, but Jake requires a larger volume of work. We found a cattle ranch that was willing to give an inexperienced dog a chance knowing that Jake showed some instinctual tendencies with sheep even though he'd never been formally trained. It's very close and the rancher is very friendly, so even though Jake might become his dog, we look at it as though he's moved out to go to college and get a job <g>. We will visit him regularly. So, here's the question: Jake's obsession has been with fetch. That's been what we've been able to do with him to satisfy his drive to work. He's only been on the ranch a few days and he has a trained Aussie to lead by example, but Jake starts to get involved and then breaks off, hunting down a stick and bringing it back to Ted to play fetch. What's the best way to get him to see the potential in working animals and decrease his obsession with fetch? Is it too late at 4? He is very comfortable around cattle and horses. I know it's going to take time, but I was wondering if there are any tips that might help transfer his attention sooner? Thanks!

Mike

post-8599-1205472781_thumb.jpg

Well I would guess that Jake's desire to play fetch is greater then his desire to get kicked by a cow. This shows good sense on Jake's part but may not work out in his new situation.

Generally, when a dog turns away from the work to pick up something, grass, poop or a stick it is an avoidance move. However, there is a lot going on in his life right now with new work and a new home, so it is possible that he will gain confidence in this new life and be ok. I suspect that only time will tell. Confidence in his new owner will also increase his self confidence which may also help.

Beverly

Thanks Beverly. It's a big change for him. He's never defined work as anything other than chasing a ball (he had an afternoon w/ sheep where he showed some natural instinct and he been around horses, but that's it). I suspect (and hope) something will "click" once he experiences one of the animals doing something at his direction. He really seems happy there. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

M

• 1 month later...
Thanks Beverly. It's a big change for him. He's never defined work as anything other than chasing a ball (he had an afternoon w/ sheep where he showed some natural instinct and he been around horses, but that's it). I suspect (and hope) something will "click" once he experiences one of the animals doing something at his direction. He really seems happy there. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

M

Thought I might also weigh in here!

Having the other dog work with your untrained Jake is telling him that he doesn't need to be "on the job" and since he is already very quick to play fetch anyway, he goes off to what he is comfortable with. Any chance to start him on some sheep (more than just showing some instinctual tendencies?) so that he can learn at his elementary level? Sounds like he's lacking in intensity, probably should be put on some dog broke sheep in a small area to see if he has enough intensity to stick with the work. If not, enjoy a nice pet!

Today, 08:24 AM