BC Boards

How much can a BC care?

I was at work yesterday when I got a call that I had to take an aggressive dog we have to the vet to be euthanized. It wasn't a big surprise since she had bitten two staff members. It never really set in until I was in the parking lot at the vet's office. Then it all came to me. Losing Sage, Bo getting adopted, and now I have to take a dog to the vet to be put to sleep. It wasn't a very nice trip back to the shelter. When I got back I was feeling pretty low. Thinking I had let her down by not trying to do more for her. (she was food aggressive) When I got back a volunteer had come when I was gone, so she asked me where Baby was. That didn't help any. Even though it wasn't her fault. But the story gets better. We have a 10 mo. old female BC that never has liked being petted or loved on since she came in. She's in a kennel in front of the office. I heard the dogs out front start barking like crazy. Then I heard scratching at the front door. I opened it and saw Trxie (the BC) looking up at me. I reached down to pet her and she pretty much climbed up in my arms. She leaned on me and put her head over my shoulder. When the other employee came out she was floored. None of us had ever seen her do this before! After about ten minutes I was feeling better and had forgotten about everything that had happened. She was like and angel. She had to wiggle through her kennel door and through a gate by the office to get to the front door. She really knew I needed someone to lean on. They never seem to quit amazing me. They are truly special.

Here is Trxie (and me :rolleyes: )

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

I am convinced that some of them just "know".

Daisy is one of those dogs that bug the heck out of you when she wants attention, but when I found out my grandmother passed away, I had just gotten home from work, and I was home alone, Daisy normally would have been bananas, but she knew. I was sitting on my bed and she sat down beside me and laid her head on my lap and just stayed there until I was ready to continue on with my day.

Trixie is a nice looking pup too!

I think you should "foster" this gal. She seems to need you and you seem to need her right now. It seems like a perfect match. If not forever, at least for the moment and Black Jack would get along with an older dog much better than a puppy. JMO. Look at her- She didn't respond to anyone but YOU. With losing Sage and Bo getting re-homed, it just might be what you need.

I am thinking about it. I haddn't even thought about taking her or the other BC home since Sage was gone and Bo got adopted. But after that how can I not? I'll give it a few more days to think about it. When I went to work she was happy to see me again and Loves to cuddle in your lap. She couldn't be more like Black Jack. She is just like he was at the shelter. Laid back, easy going, playful but not pushy, and very loving. I'm thinking about seeing how they get along this weekend. I'll keep you guys posted :D

ETA: I just noticed. If you look behind me in the first pic, you can see my litte pic of Black Jack I have by my desk :rolleyes:

I am thinking about it. I haddn't even thought about taking her or the other BC home since Sage was gone and Bo got adopted. But after that how can I not? I'll give it a few more days to think about it. When I went to work she was happy to see me again and Loves to cuddle in your lap. She couldn't be more like Black Jack. She is just like he was at the shelter. Laid back, easy going, playful but not pushy, and very loving. I'm thinking about seeing how they get along this weekend. I'll keep you guys posted :D

ETA: I just noticed. If you look behind me in the first pic, you can see my litte pic of Black Jack I have by my desk :rolleyes:

I definitely believe in signs. When I went in over 15 years ago to get Riley, not only did she lean out of her cage and lie against my shoulder, but at that moment a photographer from the shelter asked to take our picture together for the yearly calendar. There was no going back! :D

I think she's making sure you notice her!

Good on you! And definitely provide updates.

Ailsa

What a sweetheart - she both looks and sounds it. Just look at that face.

I took Black Jack out to the shelter after hours so the other dogs were put up. (Kennels are in front of the building also, so lots of barking) They seemed to do pretty well. Even with all of the other smells they got a good sniff in. With only a little growl from both sides I would say it went pretty good. I'm not sure if my Mom wants another dog right away though. I talked to her about it and she's not sure yet. So I will have to make sure she is ok with me getting her first.