BC Boards

Our Emo dog

We adopted our border collie puppy from the animal shelter two weeks ago. We are not sure how old she is, the paperwork said between 8-10 months old, but some of her behavior seems younger than that. But she is definatly still a puppy. Unfortuantly we know nothing about her before showing up at the pound.

She has been a wonderful addition to our family. She is very cuddley and affectionate. Very smart and quick to learn. She is already sitting, coming and walking on a leash very well. She rides in the car perfectly. She is mostly house-broken, with only an occational accident every 3 or so days. She seems to like us, she wags her tail and likes to have her belly rubbed.

So where is the problem? Well, before we got her we had done some research into the breed (and several other breeds) to see if it was a good choice for us. So we were expecting certain things from the puppy like boundless energy, eagerness to please, and just an overall puppy enthusiasm and excitement that comes from any puppy and seems to be a characteristic of BCs in particular.

But this isn't our puppy at all. She is very calm, docile, and gentle. She behaves more like an older large breed dog it seems. She hardly ever seems excited or enthused. 3 or 4 times now for very brief periods of time she has exploded with energy. It has been so rare that it is almost shocking when she does it. For instance once when I was coming back in the house with her and our older dog she was jumping around up and down, spining in circles, tail flying and full of exuberance and happyness. This lasted for about one whole minute before she was back to calmly standing in the kitchen with her tail lazily wagging. And she has done this similar thing a few more times.

Don't get me wrong, we are not complaining, "our dog isn't excited enough", we are more concerned that something is wrong with her, like a mental problem or something. Her vet appointment isn't until next week unfortunatly to see if she may be physically sick or something, but she seems very health to us. We have thought that maybe she is just not yet adjusted to us, not trustful enough with us to open up. Or maybe this behavior is not uncommon, but we are not familiar with it.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Any insight you all can offer would be helpful.

Don't get me wrong, we are not complaining, "our dog isn't excited enough", we are more concerned that something is wrong with her, like a mental problem or something. Her vet appointment isn't until next week unfortunatly to see if she may be physically sick or something, but she seems very health to us. We have thought that maybe she is just not yet adjusted to us, not trustful enough with us to open up. Or maybe this behavior is not uncommon, but we are not familiar with it.

Welcome!

We adopted Kip, a 1.5 yr old BC, from a pound about 2 weeks ago. He's a terrific dog---but did not have the "boing" I anticipated for a young BC. Some of it certainly is related to just settling in to his new home. But, in the past 2 weeks, we have also been battling: nasty kennel cough, roundworms, and now a right rear leg injury that has been making itself more obvious. (His gait looked a bit "off" from behind when we saw him in the shelter, but he came up very lame on our first good, long walk in the woods when the weather finally broke, so back to the vet's AGAIN.)

I'd certainly get your pup checked thoroughly for parasites, injuries, etc. Then just let her settle in. Kip is the most "boing-y" when he's playing with Sollers, our other dog...it is a bit like he just needs another "kid" to play with to have fun.

It took Alex about a week or so to become the exuberant BC that she is. I got her right from the breeder. Our Lab took a little longer. He went from the breeder to the pet store to our house.

Welcome to the wonderful world of border collies!

Some of the quietness may just be settling into a new home - not knowing her background or how long she was in a shelter, a home may just be culture shock for her. A good vet check-up is a great idea and if she's okay, just let her settle in. 2 weeks is not all that long.

But it may also be that she may just be one of the quiet bc's. Out of the 3 bc's I've had, 2 have been the stereotypical high energy all of the time types but my late Meg was a couch potato - unless she saw sheep when she moved more in 2 days than she would otherwise move in 6 months! Meg saw no point in long walks, frisbee, fetching, or agility although she would do all of those things to please me. Her instincts were solely for working - and if not working, then just hanging out. So your girl may also be a quiet one w/o anything being wrong w/her at all.

Good luck w/her and keep us posted on how she does.

2 weeks is not long enough for her to show her true colors full tilt. That being said I have all kinds of BC's. Some are crazy happy dogs some are Eore type dogs. I enjoy them for what they are and really don't care which way they turn out to be. The one that we call Eore was like that from the minute I saw her at the breeders. She's never changed. She will play with a few dogs, play frisbee, and do regular things but her usual manner around the house when not engaged is totally Eore.

Enjoy the peace it may be short lived!

Kristen

I agree - you might need more time to see the real dog or, as in my case, yours may be a jekyll and hyde bc!

I got my dog Skye at about 7 weeks and she was just like a rag doll. You could pick her up and she would hang like a limp stuffed doll in your arms - if she wasn't eating or watching you, she'd be lying on the sofa. At work, she'd lie in her bed, get up occasionally and and say hi ever so gently to people so that they would say, "Oh what a lovely dog. She must be very old." :rolleyes:

Not old, just laid-back since puppy-hood.

But hold on -- get her out to the park or on a walk, especially with other friendly and exhuberant dogs, and she became a whirling dirvish!!!! A crazy, crazy dog who just wouldn't stop, until we got home and then she'd crash!

So, wait and see...

Welcome!

Ailsa

I found Scout at the town dump (where she'd been dumped, naturally) when she was about four-five months old. She seemed the most docile, gentle, laid-back BC I'd ever met . . . until two weeks later, when her leg injury healed and she had some good food and good sleep under her belt: BOIIIIING! Wild Gremlin Puppy!

This being said, some BCs are just calm dogs. My mom has a BC who has been Mr. Laid-Back since he was a baby.

I just got my first BC, and he's nothing like I thought he would be either. I did alot of research, and I actually made myself nervous that I wouldn't be able to handle a BC. Can't tell you how many times I read the words "They need a job to do, or they will invent one themselves".... :rolleyes: I think Shiner has decided that his job is to try to be in my lap as much as possible. He is unbelievably docile and well mannered. I lucked out even more, as it seems he was also crate, leash, and potty trained by someone at some point, and possibly has basic obedience as well. I eased him into the same exersize routine I do with my shelties, a daily walk, twice a week at the park to run or play ball, and a training session or a car ride here or there, and he seems as happy as can be. He's very velcro, but his favorite thing is to lay near me and chew a bone or an empty kong. I had plans for him, frisbee or agility (I thought I would have to do these things to keep him busy), and I'm still going to try it after he finishes his obedience class, but I honestly think he may lack the motivation for it. We'll see I guess.

Both my BCs are laid back. River's the only one I've had since she was 8wks and she's ALWAYS been this way. She's very intense about playing fetch and will definitely ask you play some more, but other then that, she's content to just hang out and do nothing. Diesel I got at 15mos and he's laid back as well. They both like to get moving, but in the house they sleep, lounge and follow me to the bathroom. Both are currently 2yrs old.

I think the best description of the ideal Border Collie personality is not really "energetic" "hyper" or "excited" - but rather "intense." I often feel like I have a team of debonairely attired TV detectives trailing me all day long, intently watching my every move, calculating, the wheels turning as if to put pieces of a mystery together. I can almost hear their voices:

Gus: What's that?

Me: Orange.

Gus: Get out. What do you do with that?

Me: I eat it.

Gus: You aren't eating it. You are scraping bits off it.

Me: I'm taking off the peel.

Gus: I want a peel.

Me: No you don't. Icky.

Gus: I don't believe you.

Me: Whatever. Here.

Gus: Ick.

Me: See?

Gus: No, I just didn't eat it right. Oh, ick.

Gus: Give me another one. That one was icky.

Me: [sigh] Ooookay . . .

Gus: Ick.

Me: Do you believe me now?

Gus: Where are you hiding the good orange peels?

I think the best description of the ideal Border Collie personality is not really "energetic" "hyper" or "excited" - but rather "intense."

Intense is the word, alright. And yes, I also love the fact that there is a mind struggling to figure things out. That's what makes BCs both frustrating and lovable.

TXdogs: I wouldn't worry about a new puppy being calm at first. It can take a while before her true nature comes out; she may just be sizing you up. As long as the vet gives her a clean bill of health, just be patient with her. Senneca is amazing calm and well behaved at home, but is full of energy when playing at the dog park.

Mine all wait for me to bend over and grab a pair of shoes. The shoes tell them all the info they need. Farm shoes, muck boots, or house shoes are reasons to party. Work shoes or dress shoes (they really don't know what dress shoes are cause I don't have any :rolleyes: means Mom's leaving...sad face abound!!

I think some of mine might eat the orange peels, or at least carry them to my bed for later investigation. LOL

Since starting my new job I've been gone way more than I've ever been gone before. The dogs are all bumming with my time being so limited but one day Mick talked me into taking him to work wiht me to see why I come home smelling like other dogs. (I'm working at Petco as a manager and not liking it very much) so I took him with me and had him professionaly groomed....he was all proud and happy when I first got there, on his best behavior. Then I took him into the salon area opened up a cage that had a big clear plastic door on the front and told him to kennel up. He walked in couriously then I shut the door and walked away. The look on his face was a killer. He eyed me every chance he could with his evil eye look. Then someone had the nerve to give him a bath and put him on the table for a good brushing. He could see me most of the time. Evil vibes were floating all over coming from his direction while he was having his brushing.

On the way home he told me that he now knows what I do and does not need to go back with me EVER...he also told me to take Dew his evil young sis, but leave the old girls home and he'd fill them in on what I've been doing for the last month. But he did stay out of the pond for way longer than he's ever did so I think he secretly liked his new smell!

I'm going to take my ol' Eore girl next. If she doesn't die of embarassment first she's going to love it!

Here's to the diversity of these wonderful dogs!

Kristen