BC Boards

Not sure where to start

I personally don't want to start herding with Joy...I think it's a little dull. But I also think it's somthing Joy would excel at, so I'm going to pull on my big girl pants, not be selfish, and do this for Joy.

The only issue is...I have no idea where to get started. Her breeder (in S. wisconsin) does private lessons for $25 for a 1/2 hour. I was also thinking of getting lessons from Tammie at DarnFar. I have no idea whatsoever what I should look for in a herding trainer.

Does anyone know of a good trainer for me and Joy? We're around the NW suburbs of chicago. Anything else I should know before getting started? What are some good websites?

Thanks!

Don't do it. If you don't think you will enjoy this don't even start it. Your dog will enjoy agility or flyball with all of the enthusiasm that border collies are bred to bring to livestock work and it will be a much easier sport for both of you to participate in living in an urban area as you do.

A working border collie is an obsessive/compulsive doing their thing. Sure they love it, but you aren't going to be able to take your dog to do this kind of work very often all you will do is create an interest in your dog that neither one of you can satisfy and you don't even want to do.

I would strongly recommend that you do something else with Joy that will bring you both joy. She will never know the difference unless you take her to stock and show her that there is one.

Beverly

PS There is also the danger that you could come to enjoy herding and ruin your life so have a care.