BC Boards

Male dogs

I've always prefered females more than males because I believe that females are more affectionte and smart. Plus, they aren't obnoxious. But...am I wrong? Are males dogs also extremely loving and sweet just as females? (I've been planning to try to get a female, but am I going to be missing out on a wonderful male?) If males are affectionate, just how do they show affection? Females, at least mine, tend to lay on your lap and cuddle, lay next to you, and lick you. Other females I met do that, too. But males usually don't...so I'm just curious about them. And, are all males obnoxious? Is the male dog(s) that you own obnoxious and dominant? Just tell me....how awesome is your male dog?

Thanks. I appreciate it!

post-8162-1204069192_thumb.jpg

If what you said is true about males then I have a female dog trapped in a male's body. Tiga is extremely affectionate and not at all obnoxious. I also had ideas about what a male dog would be like and always said that I would only have female dogs, but when we found Tiga we knew we had to have him.

Here's a "can of worms' question. :rolleyes:

Seriously, so much depends on the individual dog. If I had to generalise from mine, past and present, I think the key thing about males is that they tend to be WYSIWYG - what you see is what you get. Yes, they can be obnoxious - but they tend to be openly obnoxious. My females have tended to be a bit more devious, and to some extent, more inclined to run their own agenda - a bit 'leave a message and I'll get back to you'. I'd say, if anything, males might be more openly affectionate.

From my very small sample, I'd say that females may be slightly quicker on the uptake when learning new stuff - but then, maybe that's just fresh in my mind because my boy is such a doofus - a gorgeous. loving doofus - but his brain does tend to go AWOL with little or no warning at times - at least in training situations. As a pet dog, he's much more willing to follow the rules than my girl.

Just my observations - wild generalisations - but it's fun to generalise sometimes. Personally, I like to have one of each - then you have the best of both worlds. :D

ET fix typos - what a surprise. I had one of those office desk sayings one time - "I live like I type - fast and with a lot of mistakes"

In BC's I think males are usally more affectionte. IMO.

Yup I always wanted a female but friends dogs and things said online made me think again

Ben is the typical loving goofy male

May not be as bright as some of the girls I know but he tries soooo hard to figure out what to do to please me - and the big dufus grin when he gets it right (and he hugs and kisses as much as I will let him)

But then I have nothing really to compare him too

I always have male BCs and female dallies. I find the males more willing to please and easier to train, but the females smarter and they are the ones I would trust to protect me. Both are affectionate.

I would tend to disagree with this just from my experience. As was already said, it depends on the individual dog. I actually prefer males but other than my Skyler was to me (probably because he was my dog) little Koda's mother was the sweetest dog I have ever met in my lifetime. So it just depends. I think males tend to be goofier and more happy go lucky on average but I really dont think you can say either with certainty.

I certainly dont think either sex is smarter either. It again depends on the dog. As for protective I dont really see that either. I think it has been your personal experience; which is all that matters :rolleyes: My boy at a trafic light almost went out my car window into another car because the guy next to us was yelling violently at me for lifting my hands when he pulled out in front of us - Thank God I had his leash on him to grab! He stopped yelling with Skyler's action and opinion made known by teeth BTW. So again, it just depends on the dog.

I say have what you like as I think all BC's are worth having. If I had my choice I would have both to compliment each other.

Although I have only owned a male bc (female other dogs) I did spend a lot of quality time with Blaze's Mother and I have to say that I would not change my boy out for anything in the world. I many times daily get hugs and kisses, and he will cuddle with us all night in bed. Drive us crazy sometimes he wants so much love. But his Mother, she just wasn't as interested. She was work, work, work. and I know that Blaze got his protectivness from her. His Dad wasn't as property line protective as his Mother.

I have both, and the females are more loveable. they all were raised from pups about the same and the male is a little more standoffish. The females come in at least once a day to play or sleep in my lap, but when we bring the male in, he wants to mark his territory and we just can't trust him. I would love to have him in more but I can't have that. Any suggestions? Ken

when we bring the male in, he wants to mark his territory and we just can't trust him. I would love to have him in more but I can't have that. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a need for house training. You can keep him on a tether attached to you when you bring him in, so he can't wander to mark and must stay near you. Likewise, you can teach him "place" or have him do a down stay near you. Or if he can be trusted in your eyesight, you can close off a room and keep him with you while he is more able to do as he likes. Or when you bring him in, you can play with or train him so he is more interested in interacting with you than marking territory.

I have both, and the females are more loveable. they all were raised from pups about the same and the male is a little more standoffish. The females come in at least once a day to play or sleep in my lap, but when we bring the male in, he wants to mark his territory and we just can't trust him. I would love to have him in more but I can't have that. Any suggestions? Ken

Ditto what Liz said, but also to add a huge one - neutering. If your dog's still intact having him neutered would probably be the biggest deterrant to excessive marking.

From my personal experience with quite a few dogs, I'd take males anyday:) But, (and you are all going to think I am weird for thingking this) I have also noticed that opposite sexed dogs to the owner seems to make a difference in the bond as well. I am sure there are exceptions to this, but its just an observation of mine and other people dogs that I know. IME males are more honest, whereas many (not all) females can be snarky, bitchy, sneaky and a bit deceitful if they can get away with it:)

Ken, if your male is more stand-offish, it might be because he is treated a bit differently - or he perceives that he is treated differently to the girls (ie not being allowed in the house like the females due to his marking). Of course the females are going to be more loving if they get more indidivual time to play and love on you - whereas the male is probably standing back a little so that he dosn't make things worse (not saying you are mean or anything, the difference to you might be slight, but could be a big thing to him). I can almost imagine some females running back outside and going 'nee-na-nee-na-nee-na' to the male and rubbing his nose in the fact that he was left outside. Having said that, maybe it comes back to the opposite sex thing (male owner-female dog?).

Taj is an absolute love bug, so are all the males of different breeds I have had, while I have had very affectionate females, most of them only gave affection on their terms.

Michelle

Girlfriend was fiercely independent, sneaky as Gollum when she wanted something we didn't want her to have, willful to the extreme. She's also the only domestic dog I ever saw in full snarl, and it was when she thought I was being threatened. She was a love bug when she wanted to be, and could shun you to death.

Little'un, though not a BC, and certainly no Einstein, is an affectionate mamma's boy. No ifs, ands, or buts. But he's also happy doing his own thing.

Belle doesn't want to be next to you; she wants to be PART of you. She is a total snuggle bunny. She'd die to please, though her education is lacking. She is simply the most loving dog I've ever known, even though she spent her first nine years in a puppy mill.

So right now, I'd have to go with female.

I have had both males and females (though only one Border Collie) and I have had mixed results with the gender so to me it really doesnt matter. My female BC is very loving and wants to be where you are at all times. Today while driving to class, I had my hand on the middle console of the car and she put her head underneath my hand and made me give her attention. She really is an affectionate dog during the "off switch" time. =)

Mudpups, I'm sure thats true. It breaks my heart not to let him in and he seems so pitiful when he has to stay outside when one of the girls runs in the house and I am sure they let him know when they go back outside. I like the lead idea that Shetlander has and making a spot for just him near a chair is a great idea, maybe with a bone or something and just for him. I do beleave that I am more attached to the females and my wife is attached to the males. Do other people see this and why? Also FoxgloveBC I have one BC that puts her head underneath my hand and makes me give her attention at times. It is so cute. Thanks for the great info. Ken

Do other people see this and why?
I do see this with our animals. We have 1 BC, 1 indoor cat and 1 outside cat. The BC and indoor cat are both male and all mine. The outside cat is a female and wants NOTHING to do with me or any of my girlfriends but will let my DH and his buddies play with her and pick her up all day long. oh and she ADORES Blaze. and Blaze ADORES her. she is part of his flock and he is VERY protective of her.

So... I would almost say that the animal chooses for us to an extent.

I have always had male BCs (but female Cocker Spaniels :D ) and have always found them affectionate. In fact, my 10y.o. boy Snorri stays about like a bit of stepped-on gum ( :rolleyes: ). There's no way he's going anywhere without his people. I did find that the female Spaniels could be a bit stand-offish, but then, they weren't Border Collies!

Snorri