BC Boards

What do you use to transport?

My commuting car is a 2005 Jetta TDI wagon which I love (43mpg). Our other vehicle is a 2001 Express 2500 cargo van (14mpg not towing and 9mpg towing). We haul just about everything in it: dogs, 1-2 sheep to the butcher (crated) or stock yard, posts and fence to the farm, hay, trash to the dump, etc. The rubber matting makes it easy to clean up. Traction can be an issue, like pick-ups the rear end is light and can easily slip. The right tires, locking rear end, and weight can help; only the 1/2 vans can be had with AWD. Our next van will be diesel (I'm told 20mpg not towing and 12-14mpg towing) and a Quigley 4x4 conversion to give us that extra traction going in and out of wet fields and on the snow.

Mark

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am seeing how people are using the "seatbelts for dogs" with some of their set ups. Is there a particular brand or style that is the most safe and comfortable for the dog? I have never used them before, but really want to get one for each dog since I wont be in the market for a new car in the next year or two.

This was very entertaining!

But nobody mentioned a mini! :rolleyes:

A.

A woman on my flyball team drives a mini. She puts her dogs' crates in the cargo section. She has plastic crates that she takes apart and stacks. She puts her cooler, grill, assorted cooking utensils, and luggage in and around the crates. The dogs ride on the back seat. This weekend she took a flyball box home and had to get someone else to transport her large wheeled cooler, but only because the box took up so much room. I really am impressed that she can transport so much.

Emily

My current vehicle: 2006 Dodge Sprinter - Upside: fuel efficient Mercedes Diesel Engine, Easily fits 10 24x36 Dog crates and has room to stand up and walk down the length of it. Downside: it's rear wheel drive...

Sprinter2500.jpg

Added bonus: in a pinch, not only can you take you dogs, but you can haul the sheep in it too! (And it's heavy duty enough to pull a trailer).

sprintersheep.jpg

Truthfully - Anybody want to buy it? I have 2 vehicles and can only afford to make payments on one. Email me privately for details! Laurie

Funny this topic is going here, as I'm about to trade in my faithful Toyota Corolla for a new car this weekend. I'm looking at a Subie, either Outback or Impreza 5-door, the Toyota Rav-4, and the Volvo V50.

Speaking of Mini's, my mother has one and adores it (so do I!). It's a 6-speed S, totally a driver's car and perfect for running around town. We did fit two large German Shepherds and a Chow-mix in there all together once and managed! With the back seats folded down, you really do get a surprising amount of room. Also, check out the new 5-door Mini Clubman!! Looks like it could be a fantastic dog car without sacrificing any of the punch of the original.

I am seeing how people are using the "seatbelts for dogs" with some of their set ups. Is there a particular brand or style that is the most safe and comfortable for the dog?

A lot of people recommend the Ruff Rider Roadie belt. I have a Champion Canine seatbelt for my dogs and love it. It's very sturdy and well made, and it was the only one they didn't get tangled in, since I could link the strap to the child-seat anchors in the back seat. Also, at the time that I bought my harnesses, the Ruff Rider was designed in a manner that made it very tough to actually put on the dog - they've fixed that now, I've heard they're much improved.

I love to hear what everyone uses to transport their puppers! I drive a Nissan Xterra, which is nice because the back is entirely plastic and can be cleaned out VERY easily when muddy, wet, dirty, drooly, or any other dog is in the back. There is plenty of space and I can fit 2 crates in with the backseat up, plently more with the seats down. And it came with a rack on the top if I need to bring bigger items like an easy-up, or x-pen, or something like that. The only downside-18 mpg. On a good day!

Although my boyfriend REALLY wants a mini and I keep telling him there is no room for the dogs, but I guess I'm wrong. Maybe we should look into Mini's! They are awfully cute! Who would've thought they could fit so much stuff?!

OK. I'm confused. When we say "mini" are we talking mini-van or Mini Cooper???

Mini Coopers are soooo cute although I've never driven one.

If I moved to the U.P. and bought a Mini Cooper, I'd have a Super Duper Yooper Cooper. :rolleyes:

I drive an older version Ford Aerostar. Doesn't get me many cool points, but I've got four stacked intermediate crates and one large in it - and I can put a medium over the large. It works. I've got the setup changed and intermediates replaced the mediums from this pic, but here ya go:

crates.jpg

van.jpg

I got tired of moving crates and seats around in the SUV and when this thing fell in my lap I JUMPED at the chance.

We got a Honda Fit last summer just so I would have a better "dog car".

I love it. There is a surprising amount of room inside, too!

Conodoguinet8.jpg

I do keep the back seat down at all times so I have the benefit of all of of the room behind the driver and front passenger seats.

Also, check out the new 5-door Mini Clubman!! Looks like it could be a fantastic dog car without sacrificing any of the punch of the original.

I had heard about this new version of the Mini Cooper (not mini van :rolleyes: ) and boy, does it look amazing! Gotta get me one...if we win the lottery I'll come down to the US and get one! I don't think they're available yet in Canada.

And Emily, I'm amazed she can get that much in her Mini! Maybe we can get that cooler to fit after all -- where there's a will...

Ailsa

For serious hauling, we've got a Ram 2500 diesel. We're getting 25-26 highway mpg empty and 18-19 pulling a 15' gooseneck trailer.

We just got an 05 Pontiac Vibe (basically same as the Toyota Matrix) for commuting and lighter hauling. Really wanted a Jetta TDI wagon but couldn't find one for a decent price without a kazillion miles on it. Looked at several other hatchbacks including the Fit and Mini but couldn't fit two Border Collie size crates.

We just got an 05 Pontiac Vibe (basically same as the Toyota Matrix) for commuting and lighter hauling.

And I swear it has got to be the CUTEST wee thing ever. If I wasn't tooling around town in the supercool minivan CrazyMobile I might would have to have a vibe. They're adorable. :rolleyes:

I am seeing how people are using the "seatbelts for dogs" with some of their set ups. Is there a particular brand or style that is the most safe and comfortable for the dog?

A lot of people recommend the Ruff Rider Roadie belt. I have a Champion Canine seatbelt for my dogs and love it. It's very sturdy and well made, and it was the only one they didn't get tangled in, since I could link the strap to the child-seat anchors in the back seat. Also, at the time that I bought my harnesses, the Ruff Rider was designed in a manner that made it very tough to actually put on the dog - they've fixed that now, I've heard they're much improved.

We use the Champion seatbelt for Nellie and it works out great. She has enough room to move around some in the car, since she has to see out each window. :rolleyes: It was a must when we had the old dog vehicle, which was a Mustang Convertible.

We now have a Mazda CX-7. It gives plenty of room for Nellie and our stuff for travels, but I wouldn't call it economical it gets around 16 city and the best we have gotten on a trip was 24. Of course it also requires premium so it has been a painful toy for the DW. I told her we needed to keep my Mustang, it would get 30 on a trip and that was with the V-8.

If Nellie had her choice, we would have a pickup. Last year when we were remodeling the bathrooms, I rented a truck to get a lot of the supplies to the house. As soon as she saw it she ran out and wanted in. Took her for a ride and she just curled up and went to sleep in the floorboard. She was in heaven.

That's funny. My mom actually drives a Vibe, when she picked me up on saturday to have some "bonding" time, I started eyeing out her car. First I asked "Can the back seats fold down flat?" She said "Yes, straight accross flat, and the back of the seats are made out of the same type of material as the dash board." I said "So you can fit a lot of stuff in here and you won't wreck any fabric?!" She said "Yes?" So I said, "How many dogs could you fit back there?" She said, "You aren't puttin ANY dogs in the back of my car!" LOL I then explained that if I got more dogs I would need a more roomy vehicle that's all! I thought her reaction was pretty funny. It's bad enough I am going to buy a house with her and she thinks one BC is crazy enough never mind putting 3 or 4 of them in the back of HER car!

If I moved to the U.P. and bought a Mini Cooper, I'd have a Super Duper Yooper Cooper. :rolleyes:

Yah, you betchya!

Of course the problem with the Mini in the UP is that you wouldn't be able to find it after about the second snowstorm.

The nice thing about a Honda Fit is that if you should ever use up the tank of gas that it comes with, you can fold it up and put it in your pocket to carry it to the next gas station.

Belle rides in a modified crate, set lengthwise in the back seat of my Saturn Ion. Wanting to protect the car interior (it's not paid off yet), I've also got what's called a "pet hammock" covering the back seat. Bought that for a very reasonable price on Ebay.

The crate was tall enough to block the views through the back windows, so my fella cut out "windows" in the top of the crate, then attached plexiglass in the openings. Works great, and Belle really enjoys looking at the traffic in town, and cows and other critters out in the country.

DogCarrier9Dec07009.jpg

I can carry up to 5 dogs in my 1997 Saturn SL sedan for daily commuting. I have my eye on the Mazda 5 for a replacement car, but would settle for a used Ford Focus wagon (or sedan, whatever happens to be available for a good price. I don't live in the land of car payments.). I am compelled to buy American-made or American-owned (like Mazda).

I dirve a Saturn Vue- it's great. I have put two large, and one intermediate crates in the back, with seats folded down. The front passenger seat also flips forward- and lays flat- this is great for when you have lots to haul. Right now I have two medium metal crates at the back for my two goose dogs (32, 35 lbs) and I can still use the back seat. So, I love the storage. It has lots of get up and go, and is good in snow- it is not 4 wheel drive. It is an 05.

I used to drive an original MGB in racing green. Meg would ride in the front seat.

My first car was a 1966 MGB in racing green. It was so cool that I didn't care that it didn't have first gear or reverse. I just parked where I could pull out, or I pushed it back out of the parking space. And I could start it up in second. It cost me $200 and lasted for a whole year before the floorboards entirely rusted out.

Bill

My bil had the same car- I remember when he showed up to pick up my sister in it, thinking he was sooo cool.

J

My first car was a 1966 MGB in racing green. It was so cool that I didn't care that it didn't have first gear or reverse. I just parked where I could pull out, or I pushed it back out of the parking space. And I could start it up in second. It cost me $200 and lasted for a whole year before the floorboards entirely rusted out.

I replaced the shell window screens with heavy-duty security screens and the dogs stay safe while the back stays cool in the summer. I can fit three crates back there, and Taz rides in this crate in the half-back seat:

Where do you buy security screens? My Silverado has the screens gone because of the sheep/goats I hauled in the back. Also once I was doing a sheepdog demo and had my best dog escape his crate and go through the partially open window (due to no screens). Fortunately he is social with people and a person that knew me and my dog brought him to me. I would love to replace the screens with something like this. Actually I would love to replace the whole truck with a smaller one like yours. I used to have a 91 Toyota p/u with a shell, that I loved. The one thing I will say about my 2001 Silverado though, is that it is great on long trips. It rides like a luxury car and holds practically anything I need, including 6 people and at least 5 dogs, Plus all the paraphernalia involved.