BC Boards

Ducks?

Katelynn & Gang

I know some of the people on here train their dogs on ducks as well as sheep.

I have open access to a lake and land which I have the opportunity to keep ducks for the summer. I'd like to get some for my older gal to work but I also need something my sister can use at 4H (so we can sell them at the end of the summer). We had white ducks years ago for her when I had no idea how or what training a dog was all about and they did just fine but I know there are better choices to choose from now too.

Any suggestions in which breed are best for dogs? I've been looking at Indian Runners. I just need something I can send her for and that she can drive a little bit to keep her mind and body busy.

Thanks

Katelynn

Indian runner or khaki cambell are the best. The coloured Indian runners have thicker legs than the white ones so don't tire quite as quickly. I have worked Indian runner mainly and they are good. They are different to sheep to work, probably more like cattle in positioning of the dog.

probably more like cattle in positioning of the dog.

Hmmmm...not sure I see how you mean this. I have not worked lots of ducks in my day, but have certainly seen lots of them worked. I *have* worked lots of cattle. Seems to me in working ducks, the dog needs to be really back off the ducks and very calm, as they're pretty nervous and flighty. Cattle generally need to be worked much more closely, as they are more reticent to move and in general need much more persuasion,

A

I like the khaki campbells myself. The runners are good, too.

probably more like cattle in positioning of the dog.

I've worked cattle (not nearly as extensively as Anna...) and ducks, and what I always tell people is that ducks are great for really fine tuning your training. Ducks heads are very "true," and by that I simply mean that ducks' heads respond very quickly to the movement of the dog, and their body follows their heads just as fast. I notice that when working sheep, their heads don't turn quite as quickly as ducks, and cattle seem to be even slower than sheep in that department.

Jodi

Rather than get sheep, I got 7 Indian Runners to practice on. For several months they worked GREAT, when I couldn't got over to herding lessons. I learned so much just having my dog drive the ducks around my corral & back yard.

I worked 3 at a time but they got dog broke real fast. Now they sit there & don't move. There are still a few things we can work on, but not much.

I was told Indian Runners are not agressive ducks, but I have 2 that go after Riot, one of them had a mouthful of hair when I was trying to work them. Riot being such a kind dog will not go after them, I'd be happy if he would just bump them with his nose! It can be rather comical when the ducks want to go back in their run & they run over the top of Riot. One of them will go up to Riot & peck at his feet.

When my husband saw the ducks going after Riot, (I think he's finally worn down), he ask 'OK where do you want to build the shed for the sheep?"

So sheep will be here soon & the ducks will still have a home, they served there purpose.

diane

I'm not a fan of either Runners or Khakis, except as egg-layers (yum!) and foragers. They are incredibly good in that respect. Otherwise, not so much. Runners are the Barbadoes of the duck world, and the Khakis, the Border Cheviots ("Is that a fence? Goodie! Let me get a good running start and apply my head to it!").

My favorites to work were the medium sized ducks. If they are kept in good condition, they are stronger, calmer, stay fresh longer, and flock better. One year I pasture raised 40 Swedes and Buffs, and that was incredibly fun.

They work like cattle in that you've got to work the whole group - they don't necessarily "follow the leader." The dog has to react to the flow, not just work the heads. They get notions and you've got to see it coming before they even think about it, or it will be too late to do anything about it. It's an odd combination with the fact that they are very very sensitive.

I love ducks.

Replying to the 'ducks' post was my first post. Rereading it online, I came across like I don't like my ducks.

I really like my ducks, I find them entertaining & fun to watch, (except when they attack my poor dog)

They're named after the horses that ran in the Breeder Cup, don't know who is who.

diane