BC Boards

Thinking Of Adopting #2

Oh, I may be doing myself in this time. Im considering adopting another BC pup and Koda is only 5 months old. Here is the little booger: http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displa...?petid=10240151 There are alot of coincidences going on with this little guy that makes me wonder if he is supposed to be with me too. Just that little feeling like someone taping you on the shoulder if you know what I mean.

Please enlighten me on the experience of having two pups at one time and the nightmare I may be undertaking...LOL. Seriously, Am I better off just shooting myself in the foot?

He's cute! I love split faces. I had two pups at the same time, but not bc's. They're just over a year old now. I got the second one when the first one was about 3 months old. I love it, they get along great. Potty training was hard, it seemed to take forever and I think that was because of the difficulty of keeping an eye on two. It was nice when they were both finally done though and had some training behind them. Now I can just enjoy them, and they do take the edge off eachothers energy. I seperate them for training and give them one on one time, but they spend most of the day together. I actually have three the same age now, since I got Shiner a couple months ago. Vet bills are going to kill me in 10-12 years, right when my kids are starting college no less, but I've got time to work that out. :rolleyes:

I loved having two dogs. It is the perfect number! You have two arms, to hold two leashes... I say if it feels right, go for it. With three dogs I sometimes have troubles giving each individual attention, but it wasn't hard at all with two. There was just something about a pair that I loved. Not sure what it was!

However... I do have three now. I just couldn't let Jersey go! :rolleyes:

I have one 2 yr old and one pup. They are a lot of work but really worth it. If it feels right and you have the time for them I would go for it.

Your little guy looks just like mine in that pic!

Well, I have talked to the person who will be taking over the pup if he is not adopted this weekend - who just happens to live in my small home town a state away. Ive sent a request to the current holder of the dog to make a visit this coming weekend and just see how things go. If I really like the pup Im going to make a trip back (only 20 minutes away) with Koda and see how they get along. Both being males you just never know. But given that Koda is just now almost five months and this little guy is just over three it should be a great time for them to solidify a relationship.

My concerns are the training issues. As one of you mentioned specifically - potty training. Im a little concerned that it might regress Koda but on the other hand it might help the younger. I always have Koda on a leash in the house if we are not engaged in playing ball or something and he has had only one accident in about a month; which was of course my fault. I also have two chihuahuas (rather my wife does) so this would be dog four. The wife's dogs are more or less her responsibility so these two are almost completely on me. Thats not an responsibility to be taken lightly. I just want to make sure its the best choice for all involved and that they get the attention they deserve. However, it would be nice for them to have each other too.

Im leary but at the same time I feel compelled to go see this one. Wish me luck!!!

I thought I'd lost my mind when we got our second one all those years ago but it was actually easier to have two than one because I wasn't the only one for her to play with. Two is my ideal number so why have we usually had three of them? Why am I entertaining the idea of four (other than the idea that I hate to have one who is 7 or 8 spending the rest of his life in a crate of course). Sounds like you have a good plan to see what happens, please let us know how it works out for you.

Suzanne

Hey, since you are looking at a pup from Flying K9's...I take it you're local...howdy, neighbor!

We lost our old guy at age 14.5, back in December. We adopted Sollers soon after, at age 3 mos...he's now 6 mos. We just adopted Kip, who is 1.5 yrs. Kip definitely keeps Sollers company---having an older dog who will play, but who will also give Sollers some limits when he's tired of being wrestled with, is good. Kip is well house and crate trained already, so that is helpful, of course. Also, Sollers is in the butthead-puppy stage....a never-tiring spring in his backside/ lots of "boing" and never-ending puppy chewing :rolleyes: ...so it is nice to have a second dog NOT in that stage anymore.

DH and I love having the two guys, but are very glad for the age/development difference right now. Two 6 mos old boing-y, chew-y fellows would be a challenge!

Oh my gosh, he's adorable! Get'imget'emget'im!!!

Remember, he's won't be a puppy forever. And just think of how much fun you'll have! He looks like a little pistol.

I say, go for it!

As Koda is already 5 months, you've probably got him house broken, he's maturing nicely and entering the really fun time. The new pup will most likely learn good habits more quickly observing Koda. Or bad one, depending. :rolleyes:

*edit* I'm seriously thinking of getting a 2nd pup. I have a co-worker who breeds rough-coated collies and I'd love to have one even though I'm am advocate of adopting "unwanted" dogs. The current litter was whelped 2-2-8. Love watching them grow and mature.

I'm actually surprised at all the positive reinforcement you're getting. This question comes up frequently and the general consensus is that it's not a super excellent idea.

I will be the lone dissent in this thread and tell you that I think you should wait. This is my opinion - I like to have a couple of years between dogs at least. At 5 months, your puppy has not even BEGUN to show you what he is capable of becoming. He is nowhere near grown, and in another month or two a lot of your soi-disant "solid" training is going to go out the window and you'll feel like you are starting from scratch.

Two pups are easily more than twice the work. *Personally* I like one dog to be all trained up and a good example for the one coming after him or her. It makes everything a lot easier when I only have to concentrate on one of them at a time; it means they are more likely to be well trained and well rounded.

And I never want to have two dogs that are the same age because I don't want to lose them at the same time. Mine are almost 8, 5 and 2 and Briggs was not quite 11 when he passed away.

JMO, of course. I don't think blind encouragement is the best response to this question, so I offer you some of the cons for what they are worth.

RDM

I have to second what RDM said. I waited until Ru was 3 before I got Timber and I am thankful. I didn't wait near as long to get Krazy and it shows. It was more stressful on me for sure. Timber was very slow to mature and then adding Krazy to the mix less than one year later was nuts. I urge you to really think deeply about it and not just that cute face in the picture. If I had it to do over again I would have waited until Timber was matured before even thinking about another dog. I know its hard, but it may be the best thing to wait.

I have 4. (Plus fosters, but they don't count.) I have a grumpy old Shepard who is about 11, Sasha 5, Sassy 5.5, and Zoe, 1.

Having the two girls the same age made it easier as they keep each other worn out, but we didn't add Sassy until she and Sasha were 2-ish. I don't know that I could have handled two teenagers. I barely got through Sasha's puppyhood as it was.

Zoe came to us around a year old. We're not really sure how old she is, but she's definitely a teenager now. In a few years when Nik passes on, I would consider adding someone else her age as I do like the pairs. Still, I wouldn't do it until she's older.

Bottom line, I would wait. Puppies are awfully hard to resist, though.

Danielle

Another vote for "wait". I like to have my current dog(s) pretty close to fully trained/mature before I add a new one. Even if they're not pups. Right now Missy is almost 9 and Kipp is 3. And I'm to the point where I'm thinking about dog #3, but not until this fall - Kipp still has a little way to go in the "mature" and "training" departments :rolleyes:

My concerns are the training issues. As one of you mentioned specifically - potty training. Im a little concerned that it might regress Koda but on the other hand it might help the younger.

That is exactly what happened with mine, the slightly older dog regressed to where the new one was, but then I did finally get them both trained and now that it's behind me it doesn't seem like that big a deal. I actually haven't had any other training problems with mine, I should add though that I am home with them all day, and DH works nights, so there are actually two adults home with them all day, that may be part of the reason for our success. As someone else said, I would consider two the same age again in the future, as I too like pairs. I have to say though, three 1 year old dogs is a little much, we're making it work though. :rolleyes:

And I never want to have two dogs that are the same age because I don't want to lose them at the same time. Mine are almost 8, 5 and 2 and Briggs was not quite 11 when he passed away.

I was thinking this, as well.

Last year it really hit me that I was likely to lose all three of my dogs (now aged 6, 7, and 8) within a very close timeframe. Now we have Dean, aged 2, and it just feels better to have such a range of ages.

In your shoes, I probably wouldn't wait to add a dog, but I would adopt a full grown adult - maybe a 4 year old.

But that's me. If you really want to add a puppy, then I recommend waiting.

I realize I am far from the first person in the world to lose a beloved dog, but I have to say I had no idea how hard it would be and how much it would SUCK. And I can't imagine losing a couple or three in a row like that. It would be so tough. I am glad mine are spaced out quite a bit.

Although, I am on the verge of murdering Dusty and will probably never again have a puppy, no matter how many other dogs I have at home and how old they are.

RDM

To pups under a year...I'm not that brave. I agree with waiting a little bit.

Georgia was about a year & a half when I brought Tex home (at four months). I think we were right on the edge of it being too soon. She was very well trained, though...aside from her recall. But that's why God invented long lines. Georgia did regress a little bit, but it was like her going through different stages of puppy hood REALLY fast. Her bladder did not regress. Whew! Having Tex has made her much more engaging.

Tex has been an awesome puppy (thank you Debby!) but when he got to be around 6 or 7 months he lost his brain. It seemed like everyday ALL DAY these phrases was a constant: "What are you doing NOW?" "Drop it!" "Where's your daddy..." Now, recently he seems to have located his brain and is actually using it. Another thing I have to deal with is that Georgia & Texi are VERY strongly bonded to eachother and at times it's like dealing with littermates...or felons depending on the situation.

All that being said, Tex has been the perfect addition for our family. But I think it's worked out so well because of timing. The time was right for us and for Georgia.

To pups under a year...I'm not that brave. I agree with waiting a little bit.

Georgia was about a year & a half when I brought Tex home (at four months). I think we were right on the edge of it being too soon.

I think this is the case with Charlie and Skittles, too. Charlie was around a year and a half when we decided to adopt Skittles. I wish that I would have waited until Charlie was more like 3 years old, though (hindsight and all). Charles is now two and a half and is starting to act more like a grown up. He was still a little wild at one and a half and I don't think he was necessarily a good role model for Skittles. I think that some of Skittles' issues may be a result of bad behaviors that he learned from Charlie. Milo, on the other hand, was 6 years old when we adopted Charlie and I believe that he was very good for Charlie.

So, I guess my vote would be to wait as well. As many others pointed out, your dog is right on the cusp of turning into a demon dog. All dogs get stupid at around 7 or 8 months. This is the time that issues will start to show themselves and you really need to be able to focus your full attention on that dog. It will be hard to do, if you have another young puppy to deal with at the same time.

This is my own opinion of course, but I wouldn't adopt a young PUPPY right now. If you really want to add another family member I'd opt for an older dog, 1-2 years old at the least. Ghost is just barely getting over his "demon" days, and they were sooo hectic. He is coming up on 9 months now, and I can tell you that 9 months is usually a much worse stage then 5 months, you're probably going to want to build a bomb shelter in about a month or so as it is. :D

I was just in your shoes a little while ago, I was looking to add another BC to our family and was in between two girls, one that was about Ghost's age, and one that was older. I went with the older dog, and she has been GREAT. Mind, it is a lot of work, but it's well worth it. I don't think I would have survived to tell the tale of 2 teenage BCs in the same house :rolleyes:

That being said, it's completely up to you, and if you really think you can handle it then that's awesome. I think you should take what people say on these boards with a grain of salt, and ultimately make the decision yourself, as no one knows your real life situation as well as you do.

Just don't be afraid to ask for help if you do get this puppy and it's hectic. I'll defidently still be here willing to help. :D

Autumn