BC Boards

Hesitant on One Side

Hi,

This is for my SO's first dog- he is a coming 3 year old dog that is outrunning well at 300-400 yards with the exception of hesistating whenever he is sent to the away side. I think this started happening when my SO introduced inside flanks. . The dog will run out about 20 feet, stop and look at his handler and try to start back the opposite way. If he is stopped and asked to go away again, he will spin once and then take the away direction like normal. Sometimes the dog will stop on his own, spin and then continue on the correct way. He does not do this any other time and only on the one side.

My instinct has been to tell him to stop or lie the dog down, wait a few seconds and lean into the dog/block the opposite way and make it real clear what way he is being asked to go and not letting him continue on his outrun until he departs correctly and without hesistating. But maybe stopping him is the wrong answer- this dog is very sensitive, not in a soft way but will go to an extreme to do what he think's is right and I don't want him to continue this bad habit or make it worse!

Sorry about the duplicate posts

Hi,

This is for my SO first dog- he is a coming 3 year old dog that is outrunning well at 300-400 yards with the exception of hesistating whenever he is sent to the away side. I think this started happening when my SO introduced inside flanks. . The dog will run out about 20 feet, stop and look at his handler and try to start back the opposite way. If he is stopped and asked to go away again, he will spin once and then take the away direction like normal. Sometimes the dog will stop on his own, spin and then continue on the correct way. He does not do this any other time and only on the one side.

My instinct has been to tell him to stop or lie the dog down, wait a few seconds and lean into the dog/block the opposite way and make it real clear what way he is being asked to go and not letting him continue on his outrun until he departs correctly and without hesistating. But maybe stopping him is the wrong answer- this dog is very sensitive, not in a soft way but will go to an extreme to do what he think's is right and I don't want him to continue this bad habit or make it worse!

I would really shorten the distance of the outrun on the bad side. Shorten it down to 10 yards if you need to. Find the distance he will run out to with confidence and enthusiasm with no sign of hesitation. Do this very short outrun for a week or so until he is running out with complete confidence. Then very gradually lengthen the outrun.

This looking back, stopping or crossing can get to be a habit really easily. You want to nip it in the bud without in any way diminishing his enthusiasm for the outrun. The behavior you describe is almost always indicative of uncertainty and lack of confidence. He doesn't like running out on that side and isn't comfortable there. You need to remedy that.

Beverly