BC Boards

Vet? Or wait a little longer?

Chesney's Girl

Chesney has been vomiting and having diarrhea since yesterday afternoon. The first three times he vomited up vial, rancid smelling meat and bones. All morning before throwing up he had very stinky gas and nasty burps. I could tell he wasn't feeling good today as he was kind of slower moving on our walk and just wanted to lay about in the house. After playing a short game of tug (maybe a minute) with the puppy he started throwing up. After his first poop in the afternoon it all became pretty runny. He threw up about ten minutes ago and the first two bits that came up were yellow liquid the third was kind of an orangy-pink color and thats what kind of bothered be. He has an appetite as I offered him a Kix last night before bed and he wanted it.

I'm starting to worry that his meal on Sunday after the park was too boney or if he might have picked something up at the park/lake that upset his tummy making digestion hard that night? I don't know if I should wait another day or what. Usually I wait out things like this but the color of his vomit just a little while ago kind of bothered me a little.

P.S. for those who don't know Chesney eats a raw diet mostly consisting of beef, duck, tuna, and canned salmon as of late just because that's what's available in my freezer at the moment. There is liver and kidney added to that on his organ days. He has been having a sensitive stomach the last month or so as he has had a day or two of a runny butt so I have digestive enzymes on the way to see if we can't get him back on track and help his system out a bit more.

Anyways, advice is welcome.

When I read your post, it sounded very similar to the symptoms of my blocked Kelpie. She was quiet, and ever time she moved she puked- apparently, that is a sign. She had eaten part of a toy, which was sitting in her stomach, and she had fiber filling in her small intestine which blocked that. I would most definitely bring him in. They can do an x-ray and see if anything is there that shouldn't be there. Take him this morning. I know, I am a worry wart.

If he is still throwing up/having diarrhea when your vet opens, call to get him in this morning, if possible. I know I over-react but that sounds like pretty severe symptoms to be going on for over 12 hours straight. Last September, my Lhasa started throwing up and having diarrhea. I really feel the only reason he's alive today is that I did take him in so quickly. They never did figure out what the underlying cause was but he started going into shock less than 24 hours after his symptoms started. Fortunately that happened while he was under the vet's care.

Not saying your dog would have the same experience as my guy, but better safe than sorry is my general motto with these things. With the Lhasa, my alarmist tendencies truly paid off.

Well this morning around 5:30am he was kind of dry heaving, and nothing else was coming up. I can't imagine there is anything in his stomach to come back up. I took him out at this time and he pooped it was a little soft but had shape to it. This morning I looked at it and there was some chunks of bone in it.

He was lively this morning and hungry. I listened and he has gut sounds, does this have any relation to a blockage? Does anyone know? I played tug with him for about ten minutes and he didn't look/act sick afterwards like he did last night. I am really on the fence with this one. While I am still a worried, he is acting like he feels better and his belly isn't sensitive to palpations which I read that if there is a blockage sensitivity happens within 12-24 hours. I think I might see how he is this afternoon.

Should I give him a little something to eat? Something that is easy on his stomach and see if that comes back up or even better if it comes out the other end?

Chesney has been vomiting and having diarrhea since yesterday afternoon. ...

P.S. for those who don't know Chesney eats a raw diet ...

Anyways, advice is welcome.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a vet, so please don't take this as medical advise, just my own opinion.)

Does your other dog eat the same diet? Is he OK? If they ate the same items, and only one is sick, I would take him in for a look-see. Might be nothing, but better safe than sorry. I had a nasty case of food poisoning with all my dogs the first of January. Every one had eaten pork necks for dinner, and everyone produced a version of loose stool and/or vomit overnight. So I knew it was the food, and was able to treat them all by fasting a day, and then giving bland small portions of rice/cooked chicken/pumpkin for a couple days or so. I also gave the dogs who were continuing after the overnight episode a few doses of Parvaid and Metronidazole (Flagyl)- great stuff to keep on hand for emergency gastric problems. Laurie

Should I give him a little something to eat? Something that is easy on his stomach and see if that comes back up or even better if it comes out the other end?

Glad he is feeling better. I would rest his GI tract and not feed him until maybe this evening, and then very lightly. I'd also keep him quiet instead of letting him play. romp.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a vet, so please don't take this as medical advise, just my own opinion.)

Does your other dog eat the same diet? Is he OK?

If you are referring to the dog in my signature, he lives in California with my parents, I go to school in Louisiana. I only have Chesney so I don't have any comparison. The puppy that is referred to in my OP is a foster so she is eating Canidae. Otherwise if it was just Chesney that was having a problem and my other dog wasn't and they ate the same thing we would have been off to the vet this morning.

Thanks!

My blocked dog had very loud gut sounds. My dog was blocked for three weeks and wasn't sensitive until things got really hairy. He may have just eaten too many bones. It would be very easy to see on a radiograph if he has excess bones in there. Since he was just dry heaving at 5:30, he is still sick. If you give him something to eat, he will then puke. Bring him to the vet- my gut says.

PS: my dog ate the same day that she had emergency surgery.

Well this morning around 5:30am he was kind of dry heaving, and nothing else was coming up. I can't imagine there is anything in his stomach to come back up. I took him out at this time and he pooped it was a little soft but had shape to it. This morning I looked at it and there was some chunks of bone in it.

He was lively this morning and hungry. I listened and he has gut sounds, does this have any relation to a blockage? Does anyone know? I played tug with him for about ten minutes and he didn't look/act sick afterwards like he did last night. I am really on the fence with this one. While I am still a worried, he is acting like he feels better and his belly isn't sensitive to palpations which I read that if there is a blockage sensitivity happens within 12-24 hours. I think I might see how he is this afternoon.

Danielle, a few months ago I gave two of my three dogs some sheep that was quite fatty. I have been feeding the sheep for months, and every other time I'd trimmed most of the fat before feeding it. I have no good answer for why I didn't trim it this time, but I didn't. Both Taz and Craig got sick from eating too much fat at once, but Craig was especially sick. I believe he had a mild case of pancreatitis. He, too, threw up multiple times, with the first few vomits including rancid meat (and probably fat). A friend who worked as a vet tech for years saw him and advised on what to do, including letting me know that if he vomited one more time to take him to the vet. Fortunately for us, he didn't vomit again after that. On her advice, after he stopped puking, I fed him nothing (including no water) for 24 hours and then one quarter-cup of rice flavored with just a touch of sauteed lean ground elk for a day or two, and very limited water, before gradually increasing it over the course of a week to about a cup of the rice/elk mixture.

I hope Chesney is feeling better. I just want to caution you to maybe go pretty slow feeding him again.

Thanks for the help everyone. I stayed home from my two morning classes to keep an eye on him. I will watch him a couple of days of course. His gut sounds are audible when I press my ear to his belly and listen carefully in a quiet room so I wouldn't call them loud, just audible. :rolleyes:

Laurae, I did the same thing with one of the other ducks I have in the freezer. I had to take off all the skin and there was a good inch layer of fat on it. I don't remember seeing it on any of the other ducks though. Its possible that that might be what did it.

There is a vet I can call if things take a turn for the worst today or tomorrow though. At this point though since he wants to play and is much perkier than he was yesterday with no more stinky coming from him so I might just wait a little while longer.

One telltale sign about Craig's pancreatitis was that his gut was rock hard for days, and then only a little softer for a few more days before it finally went back to normal. That was one way we were gauging his recovery. But it sounds like Chesney is feeling much better--so glad to hear it!

blocked gut sounds are hyperactive, often described as "tinkling". The complete absence of gut sounds is even worse. Unproductive vomiting is also a bad sign.

After this much time if rest and npo haven't solved it, I would be heading to the vet.

Don't you use the same holistic vet as me in Metairie? She has a phone service...

I don't even want to comment on stuff like this anymore because I used to be very conservative and now I'm an alarmist about it so I don't expect I am all that helpful.

When Piper did this, she was blocked up with toys.

When Briggs did this, he got pancreatitis and then died.

So I am all about Going To The Vet now. It can't HURT to go to the vet.

RDM

Wendy, Yes we have the same vet. I called them after hearing from everyone here and thinking about it more (after I emailed Julie to hear more about what she went through :rolleyes: ), just to be safe. I am waiting for them to call me back to see what I should do...

:D thanks for everyone worrying me more enough to call. I think I just needed a kick out the door so to say.

Just a quick update. I talked to our vet this afternoon (a Homeopathic vet since a lot of vets get weird when it comes to raw feed dogs) and explained Chesney to her. She did some looking around about feeding duck and she thinks that he may have gotten a bit of food poisoning since he did seem to get better after all his purging he did. I will still be keeping an eye on him and she said it would be ok to give him some rice and possibly boiled chicken or beef later tonight.

Thanks for everyones replies. Like always, they are a big help.

Julie,

He ate about a cup of rice last night oh around 7pm (central) with no problems at all. Not acting sick, just really hungry :rolleyes:

This morning I gave him another cup of just rice without incident. Today when I get to the store I'm going to pick up some chicken for him tonight with more rice. Now I'm just anxiously waiting for him to poop! I'll keep you guys posted though. Thanks for the concern. He's given me quiet a scare!