BC Boards

Informal Clicker Survey

I am in the process of revising my clicker class curriculum and I am interested in getting some information from those of you who use the clicker to train, or incorporate clicker into your training program.

1. How were you first introduced to clicker training? (Examples: on this message board, Internet, in a training class, etc)

2. Why did you decide to continue to incorporate the clicker in your training as time went on?

3. When training a new behavior, how frequently do you incorporate the clicker into your training?

A. Always B. Usually C. Sometimes D. Occasionally

4. Have you ever taken a training class that was a specific clicker class?

5. Have you ever taken another type of training class where clicker instruction was incorporated into the curriculum? (Example: Rally, Agility, Freestyle, CGC, Obedience) If yes, what was the topic of the class?

Thanks for taking the survey! :rolleyes:

1. How were you first introduced to clicker training? By our first at hom instructor.

2. Why did you decide to continue to incorporate the clicker in your training as time went on? Because we feel that it is a positive training method and we saw from the beginning that it was the fastest learning method for him. He picked up on things in almost no time when using the clicker compared to when not.

3. When training a new behavior, how frequently do you incorporate the clicker into your training? C: It depends on what the behavior is that we are wanting to teach.

4. Have you ever taken a training class that was a specific clicker class? No, not necissarily because we had a in-home trainer for 6 weeks that trained ONLY with a clicker and gave us materials to read on it and instructions/training just for us on how and when to use it.

5. Have you ever taken another type of training class where clicker instruction was incorporated into the curriculum? (Example: Rally, Agility, Freestyle, CGC, Obedience) If yes, what was the topic of the class? No not at this time.

1. How were you first introduced to clicker training? (Examples: on this message board, Internet, in a training class, etc)

I took Happy to privet lessons for her fear aggression and it was taught with a clicker

2. Why did you decide to continue to incorporate the clicker in your training as time went on?

because it worked, within 2 lessons of the clicker work with Happy she went from not being able to get within 20 feet of a bulding to sleeping inside of it.

3. When training a new behavior, how frequently do you incorporate the clicker into your training?

occasionally, its depends on the dogs and what exactly I am teaching. often I use the clicker just for random brain games and not to teach anything in particular.

nope

5. Have you ever taken another type of training class where clicker instruction was incorporated into the curriculum? (Example: Rally, Agility, Freestyle, CGC, Obedience) If yes, what was the topic of the class?

all training classes I have taken, with the exeption of a hunting retriever class had Clicker instruction incorperated.

In Clean Run magazine

more accurate marking of behaviors, and thus easier to shape some complex tricks. She (Daz) caught on so quick and it made all of our training noticeably more productive.

B

Nope, but I did do Internet research and looked at sites specifically about clicker training and what you can do with a clicker and so on.

Agility class (foundation jump skills class, plus just a regular agility class).

Internet (including here)

Ben gets excited when I pick the clicker up cos it means learning, and also when he does a new trick perfect and gets the click its like a click goes in his wee brain too 'ahhh thats what you want' you dont get that so well without the clicker

B. They dont use clickers at the agility classes

No - £60/hour!!

Yup, puppy obedience uses the clicker for some behaviours - like touch and round

I think on the internet, but I honestly don't know where.

It has a basis in science and I like that. It is also easy and quick and fun and accurate. The dogs get it.

B.) Usually... I'd almost say always, but in some stuff I haven't used the clicker so I think usually is more accurate.

My basic obedience classes have been clicker classes.

Agility. We didn't use it all the time, but I found the clicker helped my clicker-savvy but neurotic mix LT with things like the wobble-board and the A-Frame. Other less savvy dogs didn't use it, but I chose to knowing it would be clear to LT and give her comfort with the familiar.

Obedience class about eleven years ago - instructor had done some work directly with Karen Pryor. I'd call it more Mark/Treat because we used a marker word, not the clicker. This is how I still tend to do it. I lose clickers chronically.

It's a great way to boost confidence in rescues.

I have a set point where I'll introduce C/T concepts to a rescue, based on that dog's profile and progress.

Oops, didn't see this. Usually I guess.

No.

Agility, CGC, Obedience. I used it in a flyball class once too - but I was the only one using it.

Pam Reid showed me when she was helping me with my Aussie in agility. Then I watched her train with Cirrhan in Agility and went out an bought a Gary Wilkes's video

It is the only way I've ever been able to teach tricks. I also like it for things that don't make sense to a dog - like precise heeling, targeting, etc.

Depends on the behavior and the dog. With herding I'd have to say rarely to never. Obedience - usually to sometimes. Agility usually.

yes

yes, agility and obedience

I think the Internet. I had just acquired a spooky Thoroughbred gelding (horse) and I needed a way to train him to not be so afraid of absolutely everything.

If your timing is good, the clicker makes the moment of the correct behavior extremely clear, and so I see no reason NOT to use it in training. There wasn't nearly as much publicly-available information about clicker-training at the time that I started using a clicker with my horse (several years back) as there is now--especially in regards to horses--but I'd heard about clickers being used with dolphins (probably on some National Geographic TV program, maybe?), and the concept of clicker-training is pretty simple and logical, so once I was able to find an actual clicker and get going with it, we just went from there on our own. Within what seemed like minutes, I had taught my horse to touch things with his nose in response to the word "target" for a food reward, and then eventually to touch scary objects with his nose also for a food reward, and it made a world of difference in that horse...prior to that, he could not be cross-tied safely because any little thing would freak him out and he would break the cross-ties in a panic; once he almost went over backwards onto the concrete while rearing up in the ties. Being able to approach and touch scary objects on command, like a trick, greatly helped to assuage his fears by showing him that there was nothing to be worried about. With the clicker, I also taught him to do cute actual tricks, like put his hoof up on a bucket and pose, and to hug me with his head, and to kiss me on the cheek. :D I do dressage, but I was boarding in a predominantly Western/Quarter Horse barn at the time, and so the Western people were already annoyed with me for being a so-called dressage queen...but when I started with the clicker-training, they decided that this was the perfect excuse to make openly snide comments about me and my clicker-trained horse...but it really, really WORKED, so I didn't care how much they laughed at me. I got the horse over hoses dragging on the ground, flags waving, people shaking out blankets by flapping them in the air, etc. AFTER the horse, I tried it on Godiva--it honestly had never occurred to me to try training her with a clicker before then (she was about 8 years old at the time), and Bichons are not exactly known for being biddable, but with the clicker, she was able to learn a whole slew of new tricks that I had never dreamt of teaching her previously, so I was quite happy with the clicker! Thus, I went about clicker-training my dog in a kind of bass-ackwards way, but Godiva clearly took to it quite well, and now Mojo adores it--from the get-go, he was extremely responsive to the clicker, but he is also naturally very biddable. Notably, however, Godiva, Mojo, and my horse (Si) are all extremely food-motivated. Poor Wolfee (foster) is NOT that food- or toy-motivated, and I think that's why he really just doesn't get the clicker yet (I have tried and tried to load the clicker, but the silly boy is not making the association yet), but I hope that he eventually will.

I guess "usually." For Godiva, Mojo, and Si (the horse), for complex behaviors/tricks (e.g., pick up the remote control and bring it to me), I always use a clicker. For basic everyday stuff (like waiting at an open doorway), occasionally (depends if I have the clicker on me or not, but body blocks work just as well in those scenarios). I don't really use the clicker for behaviors that are more prolonged and not specific (like heeling). For Mojo's leash reactivity (look at the dog, look at me), always. For Wolfee, I would like to use the clicker to teach basic obedience and tricks, but since he doesn't get it yet, we are working solely with praise.

No. I have since read multiple books that describe clicker-training, though, such as Emma Parsons' book and some other horse-training books that mention clicker-training.

Yes. My current private agility trainer is a fan of using the clicker, but our lessons are not focused on how to use the clicker--we both already use clickers on our dogs and we happen to be on the same page! :D Of course, he has much more experience than I do, with his multiple multiply-titled agility dogs!! :D Of note, my previous group agility class did not use a clicker (I was the only one with a clicker in the whole class of seventeen, including the instructor). It is actually surprising how many average people have never seen or heard of a clicker--I always get asked what that sound is when we are out and about. One person actually thought it was a remote control for an electronic SHOCK collar!!! :rolleyes:

Hope that helps, Kristine!!

Pat Miller's book "The Power of Positive Dog Training", though I first incorporated a marker word (which I still revert back to when I don't have a clicker around--which is usually). At some point, I realized that "yes" wasn't as accurate for training complex behaviors

I found it was pretty useful for building confidence and training tricks. Honestly, though, as we got more dogs, I found I've used it a lot less--mostly because I kept misplacing them and I hated having them attached to me. I train far fewer tricks now . We used the basic method, but not the clicker, with our fosters.

Depends on the dog, what I'm trianing and how much I've already trained using a clicker.

Sort of--most of the classes I've taken were reinforcement based--some used clickers, but none was formally a clicker class

Companion obedience/CGC, agility, flyball

After a lifetime of "ordinary" dogs, I brought home an adolescent border collie from a shelter => Help, internet, help! => Clicker Expo => CyberAgility (because it was the only way I could apprentice to a skilled clicker trainer, given my isolation here in the wilderness - at the time, I had no interest in agility and just wanted the clicker skills)

Clear theoretical foundation, enjoyed the challenge of learning to apply the tools of operant conditioning, liked the results

What Lenajo said (i.e. nearly always when training new behaviors for which a clicker is an appropriate tool, not otherwise).

Yes, CyberAgility, and later a couple of "pet dog manners" classes. Also, Terry Ryan's "chicken camp".

Agility seminars; one reactive dog seminar.

1. How were you first introduced to clicker training? (Examples: on this message board, Internet, in a training class, etc) a border collie magazine. I was in petsmart with Joy minding my own business when this woman was bombarding me with BC info, shoving supplies and toys she should have in my arms, along with a training magazine and a BC magazine...

2. Why did you decide to continue to incorporate the clicker in your training as time went on? I saw a dramatic improvement switching her off of the prong, and using some different techniques, but I found it was easier to enhance already known behaviors, and make them better...one example is her OB heel. She's walking beautifully on leash, but for a formal heel I can't always keep her head up. The clicker has allowed me to shape this quicker then a verbal marker.

I haven't been teaching her new obedience skills or anything, but when I'm teaching new cutesy tricks once in a while, I'll use the clicker if I haven't lost it

4. Have you ever taken a training class that was a specific clicker class? Mmmm, not really. We've used clickers in private lessons for our monthly private lessons in wisconsin, but no specific classes

5. Have you ever taken another type of training class where clicker instruction was incorporated into the curriculum? (Example: Rally, Agility, Freestyle, CGC, Obedience) If yes, what was the topic of the class? Not at all

Dog's Life magazine (Australian)

After reading about it I decided it would provide a clearer marker for correct behaviours as oppose to "good girl" etc.

I've mainly used the clicker for teaching tricks but do also use it for other behaviours.

No, not many around here.

No.

First Obedience training class, by our instructor, with my terrier.

I found it as a precise and clear way to communicate with my dogs, and one that allowed them to participate in the shaping as much as I was by actively offering behaviors in order to produce that "Click!" and a reward. It's equally fun for all my dogs and I, and with the clicker, I can teach almost any behavior.

A. Always. I use the clicker in the introduction and training of every behavior. The more the clicker is used, the more quickly they catch on, and the more fun the game.

No, but the clicker is a focal point in all of our agility intructor's classes.

Yes, Obedience and Agility.

I read about them on another internet site about a year after I got Cody (my first dog). I didn't even think they sold them in Australia so I bought my first one off ebay.

I liked the idea of clicker games for Cody. I have had a few major knee operations over the last few years and I wanted a way to keep him thinking and busy while I was unable to do much. I didn't really use it to train him at first, that came much later. I pretty much used it during fetch- I didn't throw the ball until he worked out what trick I wanted him to do etc

B. Usually

I use it for most new things, depending on the behaviour really. At the moment I am using it to perfect Delta's contacts at agility and to get her turning properly on the flyball box. I don't use it for things like jumping where the dog is moving, I only use it for static skills. I also don't know how I could use it at herding.

I use it all the time to teach them random things when I am bored. I find it is great for party tricks...

Yes, it was an hour long course at an agility camp last year. Even though I had been using a clicker for about a year, I learnt alot about shaping in that class.

Yes, I have used it in agility, obedience, and flyball.

I first heard about six or seven years ago, when I had my last dog. At that time I read about clicker training somewhere, but don't remember where. My dog already knew her basic obedience and a few tricks. I bought a clicker and tried it, but gave up in about 5 minutes because the other methods I used seemed to work faster.

When I got my new dog about 4 months ago, I started out without the clicker, but incorporated it after a few weeks, because I wanted to give it a chance. I have a hard time with free-shaping because if I'm not telling my dog to do something, he will just lay down and stare at me. But I've had good success with a mix of lure/reward and clicker. I've found that my dog catches on to new things faster when I mark what he is doing right with the clicker.

B. Usually

No. Our basic obedience classes use a combination of lure/reward and the clicker.

Our basic obedience/CGC class incorporates clicker use, but kind of leaves it up to the owner how heavily they want to use it. We also have not gotten much instruction on how to use it in that class. I've always thought that it would be cool to take a clicker-heavy class with someone who really knows what they are doing with it, cause I get the feeling I'm missing something when I use it myself.

The person I got Jackson from had started him on a clicker and gave me her information and resources

Jackson was already familiar with the clicker so to help bridge the gap between skills learned in her house and behavior in mine I stuck with it. He was also afraid of mens' voices and would cringe if my DH praised him by voice. Having the clicker really helped the confidence building between them. As we learned more complicated tricks the clicker gave me more control over my timing while praising

Just about always. The only thing I don't use a clicker for is disc work. I want the disc to be the reward and the clicker is too linked to food based rewards now.

no

no

One of my first trainers when I got my giant schnauzer in 1997;

Used it a lot for training agility behaviours; also foundation type behaviours to work with some mini schnauzers that had been taught using compulsion...They had some agression issues

With my own dogs, since I do mainly herding, i rarely do...if it just sit/down, rarely...if I want a party trick...always

It would have to be D

Did Chicken camp in Arkansas with Bob Bailey, did a class at sea world training otters, did a click for obedience class

5. Have you ever taken another type of training class where clicker instruction was incorporated into the curriculum? (Example: Rally, Agility, Freestyle, CGC, Obedience) If yes, what was the topic of the class? Rally, stupid pet tricks, Clicking your way to Utility, Agility; Aggression classes; Puppy obedience...never herding though except to create behaviours outside of the scope of herding

Cynthia Palmer

I am in the process of revising my clicker class curriculum and I am interested in getting some information from those of you who use the clicker to train, or incorporate clicker into your training program.

Thanks for taking the survey! :rolleyes:

Hi Kristine:

1. from a BC magazine & an assundry of training books...although I had heard of it prior to this.

2. I'm fascinated mostly by the clicker as marker; how else to really target that specific moment when the dog responded in the way you intended / hoped. I also think the sharp sound provides a little excitement for them as well.

3. Depends on the behavior. But i will typically use it when starting something new...or moving on to next steps, and the it is not "got it right away" thing.

4. No.

5. Yes; Agility for Reactives. But we were really working on the very very basics (focus, foundation, shadow me, et al).

1. How were you first introduced to clicker training?

Read about it on the Internet, and a friend then showed me some basics.

Initially in order to work on contact behaviour in agility, then extended it to other areas.

B - Usually. I'm not nerdy in my use of it.

Yes, have attended 1 to 1 lessons, classes and workshops.

Yes - informal obedience and Agility. And I use clickers in the agility classes I teach.

I don't really remember. Everything came at me pretty fast when I got my first BC (first dog, too)-- I was enrolled in a clicker class with him the next week and had probably read about it on the internet beforehand.

It helps particularly in situations when it's hard to get the timing right on your own! I also now own a dog who pretty much lives to offer behaviors for the clicker-- his face just lights up when I bring it out.

B. Usually

Four classes that were specifically clicker-oriented.

CGC, we used the clickers to shape heeling, position changes at a distance, staying behind a marker, etc.