BC Boards
Shoofly

What's my name?

You guys come up with some wild names! :rolleyes: I guess he's going to be a Cole though. He was answering to it when we were out walking the pasture with the pack, so i suppose he's chosen it!

While I was driving tonite I thought of a few more (although I bet he stays Cole). "Darth", and "Vader", and "Ninja", and "Omen". All tough, strong "black" names, and there's always the traditional British "Sweep" (short for chimney sweep) and Smitty (short for Blacksmith). L

ETA - Oh, and I almost forgot these... "Spy" and "Sniper"

Holy crap, Darth is too good. I had a car named Darth, but it would never have occurred to me to attach it to a dog.

Holy crap, Darth is too good. I had a car named Darth, but it would never have occurred to me to attach it to a dog.

Years ago, I had a big black ex race horse I called Darth - he actually was a roarer, and he sounded like Darth Vader when he whinnied. :rolleyes: L

Tar....tho' it has bad conotations....perhaps not for you.

Bodie

Brew or Bru

Bruce.....my Ross almost had this name....Ross won out

Bruin.... also a contender for Ross....Ross won out

Doug....another on my short list.

Glen...another solid name and on the short list

Tom...a very Dependable name...think about it.

Ok....that's all I've got.

Cole or Coal is great too.

I've not held back....I've disclosed my best.

I dont think any of my dogs dont have a nick name that rhymes with their name. We've got "Roy" the boy, "Stella", not a fella, Sexy "Lexy", "Chris" the priss, "Cain," we just call "The Biggest," and with good reason, though some times he's known as Cain the pain, (and with good reason!) "Bruin", we havent got one for yet, but he's still a pup, so it will come in time. And "Andy" the pansy. (he really is!) Wonder what Cole's will be?

I like the name Cole. Good strong name, easy off the lips, and not easy to misunderstand or mix up with commands. Oh the joys of puppy rearing! Congrats on your new fella Robin, he looks like a keeper. Just dont call him Cole The Mole, and hopfully he'll remember he's a stockdog, and not a backhoe!

Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions. Darth is a pretty good one, but a little hard to get a good training "tone" with the rth at the end. I'm kinda into more traditional names anyway. Elizabeth - i really like your dog's name Rye and thought about it but decided against because it rhymes with come bye. :D

As of this morning, his name is Pavarotti, because he sure sings like him at night! :rolleyes:

Okay, really, it's Cole.

Now he needs to get busy growing because he looks like a little black dustmop right now - as wide as he is tall with all that curly black fuzz on him. :D

As of this morning, his name is Pavarotti, because he sure sings like him at night!

Id wondered how you slept last night, hence the "joys of puppy rearing" comment! Thought he should be use to the crate by now though. I spect the ole' tick tock clock and teddy bear routine didnt work? I have used a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel, and a few seemed to have liked and quieted down with that. Not had one chewed yet, but theres always the possibility.

Ebony?

Raj?

Arthur or Arty? (Both a King, and a coalminer's leader)

Nat ( King Cole)

he also looks like an Andy. Don't know why, just does.

Don't plump for something in desparation thyough - the name will announce itself or become obvious in time!

Hey Robin,

very cute pup, lots of hair, hopefully when he loses his puppy fur, he won't be as fluffy.

Cole seems to fit him. I usually pick a name from thier pedigree. What's his breeding?

Nancy O

Cole it seems it is, then. Good name. The dark one in my litter (just to call them something till they got homes and REAL names) I originally called Blackie, but thought how dull and boring that was, so it changed to Bu'wheat (if you're as old as I am, you'll get it!) :rolleyes:

A

Anna - mine was Blackie until a couple of days ago. And yes, sadly, i get it. :rolleyes:

Nancy - this one is Laura Hicks' Nell x Michelle Howard's Moss, so a half brother to Tommy's Sly (and a bunch of other good uns). I do the pedigree thing too but all the names i kept seeing were the names of friends' dogs or my own dogs. I thought pretty hard yesterday about Scott, since that's Nell's grandfather (and interestingly, the Bomber's father as well so therefore my Gael's grandfather). I may still try that out but Cole seems to be fitting today.

Poor guy, my 2 older pups (Moss and Bill) decided this morning that he was a tug toy or something. They'd been doing fine but managed to squish him when i wasn't looking this morning. I need to find a puppy raiser for a month or so, or keep them separated until he gets big enough to not smoosh quite so easily!

Oh, and to keep up with the bear theme, ahem.... Coca Cole-a Bear.... Cole-ah-la bear. Bwa ha ha!!!! :D

Life is good at Shoofly Farm! :D

92814481.jpg

But what's my name going to be?! Nothing seems to have stuck yet so we're still looking for suggestions. He looks like a little black bear but i don't want to name him Bear. If nothing else catches my fancy by tonight, he's going to be Cole. So put on your thinking caps!

right in the face this puppy looks a lot like my dog shadow. shadow would be a good name.

referring to white tips on feet tipper would be good name. as would cole. :rolleyes:

Nancy - this one is Laura Hicks' Nell x Michelle Howard's Moss, so a half brother to Tommy's Sly (and a bunch of other good uns). I do the pedigree thing too but all the names i kept seeing were the names of friends' dogs or my own dogs. I thought pretty hard yesterday about Scott, since that's Nell's grandfather (and interestingly, the Bomber's father as well so therefore my Gael's grandfather). I may still try that out but Cole seems to be fitting today.

Sounds like he should be a good un too! Congratulations.

Are you still expecting Spottie pups?

It's hard when you have a few young dogs, they like to rough house with each other. I keep my new pups separated upstairs with me and he can run with the other dogs at the farm, where I can supervise any rough play. I've been putting him downstairs in the kennels for short periods of time when I am home, to get him use to it. He just turned 5 months. He can go out without supervision with Ben, to whom he gives a wide berth. Nick he just pesters to death, but Nick won't say anything about it. He routinely goes out with the 3 house dogs, who don't bother with him at all.

Nancy O

Are you still expecting Spottie pups?

No on the Spottie pups. I wanted to do it in the fall but she's still not come into heat, and just keeps getting older every day. She still looks and acts like a 6 year old, but she was 10 in November so i've gotten less and less comfortable with the idea of puppies. The male i wanted to breed to is getting older and less fertile as well. I'll just have to breed Zac to continue that line someday. I like him as well as his mom easily.

It's hard when you have a few young dogs, they like to rough house with each other. I keep my new pups separated upstairs with me and he can run with the other dogs at the farm, where I can supervise any rough play. I've been putting him downstairs in the kennels for short periods of time when I am home, to get him use to it. He just turned 5 months. He can go out without supervision with Ben, to whom he gives a wide berth. Nick he just pesters to death, but Nick won't say anything about it. He routinely goes out with the 3 house dogs, who don't bother with him at all.

I wasn't planning to have this puppy so soon after Bill but it just worked out that way since i really wanted this breeding. I'm sure he'll be fine once he gets a little bigger. I try to space my dogs out about 2 years apart and now i have three who are 14 months or younger, yikes!

No on the Spottie pups.

I wasn't planning to have this puppy so soon after Bill but it just worked out that way since i really wanted this breeding. I'm sure he'll be fine once he gets a little bigger. I try to space my dogs out about 2 years apart and now i have three who are 14 months or younger, yikes!

Sorry to hear that you won't be having the Spottie pups you wanted. Zac's a great dog and handsome to boot!

I ended up with a bunch of youngsters also, that I hadn't planned on originally. That's the way it seems to go, everyone is getting older and then you realize you have nothing coming up, and then all of a sudden you have a bunch of pups and young dogs again.

At least you can't say you won't be busy!

Nancy O

Sorry to hear that you won't be having the Spottie pups you wanted. Zac's a great dog and handsome to boot!

Yeah, i really wish this new pup could have been a bitch, since it's a line i think Zac would cross well on. But no girls were available and i couldn't twist Laura's arm into letting me have hers. :rolleyes:

I ended up with a bunch of youngsters also, that I hadn't planned on originally. That's the way it seems to go, everyone is getting older and then you realize you have nothing coming up, and then all of a sudden you have a bunch of pups and young dogs again. At least you can't say you won't be busy!

Ain't that the truth! We'll have a couple of fun years of Nursery. :D

No name suggestions but he is a very cute little guy!! :D

I try to space my dogs out about 2 years apart and now i have three who are 14 months or younger, yikes!

:rolleyes: Now that sounds like hard work!!! but fun :D

>> this one is Laura Hicks' Nell x Michelle Howard's Moss, so a half brother to Tommy's Sly (and a bunch of other good uns). <<

He is half brother to my Nan. Nan is full sister to Tommy Wilson Sly

YEAH!!!

Diane