BC Boards

Seeking LGD Puppy

I need some help looking for a good breeder of LGDs. My Lu is getting up there now and I'd like her to help train the new girl.

I don't like Pyrs. I just don't. It's not a logical dislike, but it's a strong one, so don't try to talk me out of it, please. :rolleyes:

Apart from that, I need someone whose dogs work similarly to mine - highly stock-oriented - my fences suck so the dog must want to stay with the flock. And I have decided to socialize the heck out of my next puppy - no more terrorizing the landlord or his wife, or the meter reader, or the mailman, or the UPS guy. Tully is close, but I still could have worked a bit more on his people skills. I'd love another Maremma, or I'd love to try another breed.

I can't pay $1000 for a pup, or much near, as I've see some of the exotic breeds priced. I don't need papers - New Girl will be spayed.

Thanks!

Becca,

Lovetree farm just posted in Sheep-L that she had two LGD pups for sale. I think the were $550. Oh wait, I think I saved that digest. Here's the info. There'd be shipping involved, but I've always been intrigued by her dogs and wish I could get one myself. They sound like they'd be ideal for a family or situation where people come around, etc.

"We have two of our 11 week LoveTree Livestock Guardian Dog pups for = sale, one male and one female.

Both pups are white with blond and pale gray spots. They have also been = reared outside since birth ( in northern Wisconsin) so they are=20 definitley winter hardy :-) These are very relaxed and confident pups and ready to be incorporated = into a flock to begin their guardian apprenticeship.

I will be attending the Indianhead Sheep Breeders Conference in Rice = Lake, Wi on Feb 9th, I can bring a pup(s) with me if needed.

The LoveTree Livestock Guardian Dogs (LLGDs) are the direct result of = our deliberate effort to create a reliable guardian=20 for the varied livestock (including poultry) on farms and ranches in our = predator intense region. The result of this breeding is=20 a very mellow dog that is relaxed and confident in his/ her strength but = is very trustworthy around family members and friends.

These bloodlines have been selected for their amiable traits around = humans by dairy shepherds for the past two thousand years, although they = are extremely=20 gentle around family and friends, they present a mighty fortress of = protection when challenged by strangers and predators. =20 You can read more about our LGD breeding program at lovetreefarm.com on = our "Dog Page".

The sale price for each pup is $ 550.00 and includes a two year health = guarantee.

If interested, email or=20

phone:=20

Mary Falk

715 488 2966

lovetreefarm"

Google Lovetree to go to her website and see about their breeding--I think they're a three-way cross with Soanish ranch mastiff and I can't remember the others.

J.

I would think that she has some good LGD's as her lines do include some of Janet McNally's lines. You can also go to Bill Fosher's sheep forum to see what might be available as there is a section there just for LGD's. The link is: http://edgefieldsheep.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=3

Kathy

I recently acquired a pup of Janet's breeding, which is related to Mary's breeding on the Spanish Ranch Mastiff side. He is just 6 months old, so too early to report on effectiveness. The other half of him is Polish Tatra. Mary's dogs include some Maremma. He isn't socialized to strangers much, but I think he would be okay once he knew what was expected. I love his nice short coat! Should help keep the foxtails down to a dull roar. Everyone I have heard reports from state these dogs are great, close guarding, good with people and show good judgment. Can't wait for mine to grow up! I think Mary's (or Janet's) dogs might be a good match for you.

Jennifer

Rebecca,

Curious as to why you dislike pyrs? No intention of talking you out of your dislike but I'm wondering why if its a reason I should consider since I too am looking for a LGD. Because they are the most affordable, thats what I've been looking for...would LOVE one of Janets or Mary's pups but its just out of my range right now and doesn't seem right to spend that kinda money on a dog when I need to put it towards fencing...and a new roof.

Jennifer

We don't like Pyrs here...most livestock people in this region don't actually.

The breed seems to come with a host of problems: hip dysplasia, skin problems, aggression towards stock and/or people, wandering/won't stay with stock, too much hair/matts easily with sticks/burrs/brambles.

The breeds of choice in this region seem to be Maremma, Akbash, Anatolian. The pry is often crossed into the last 2, usually no more than half in the dogs that turn out best.