BC Boards

O/T Happy Mothers Day!

To All of you who are mothers, daughters, aunts or just a special someone to someone else.

Mothers

This is for the mothers who have sat up all night with sick toddlers in their arms, wiping up barf laced with Oscar Mayer wieners and cherry Kool-Aid saying, "It's okay honey, Mommy's here."

Who have sat in rocking chairs for hours on end soothing crying babies who can't be comforted.

This is for all the mothers who show up at work with spit-up in their hair and milk stains on their blouses and diapers in their purse.

For all the mothers who run carpools and make cookies and sew Halloween costumes. And all the mothers who DON'T.

This is for the mothers who gave birth to babies they'll never see. And the mothers who took those babies and gave them homes.

This is for the mothers whose priceless art collections are hanging on their refrigerator doors. And for all the mothers who froze their buns on metal bleachers at football or soccer games instead of watching from the warmth of their cars, so that when their kids asked, "Did you see me, Mom?" they could say, "Of course, I wouldn't have missed it for the world," and mean it.

This is for all the mothers who yell at their kids in the grocery store and swat them in despair when they stomp their feet and scream for ice cream before dinner. And for all the mothers who count to ten instead, but realize how child abuse happens.

This is for all the mothers who sat down with their children and explained all about making babies. And for all the (grand) mothers who wanted to, but just couldn't find the words.

This is for all the mothers who go hungry, so their children can eat. For all the mothers who read "Goodnight, Moon" twice a night for a year. And then read it again. "Just one more time."

This is for all the mothers who taught their children to tie their shoelaces before they started school. A nd for all the mothers who opted for Velcro instead.

This is for all the mothers who teach their sons to cook and their daughters to sink a jump shot.

This is for every mother whose head turns automatically when a little voice calls "Mom?" in a crowd, even though they know their own offspring are at home -- or even away at college.

This is for all the mothers who sent their kids to school with stomach aches assuring them they'd be just FINE once they got there, only to get calls from the school nurse an hour later asking them to please pick them up. Right away.

This is for mothers whose children have gone astray, who can't find the words to reach them.

This is for all the step-mothers who raised another woman's child or children, and gave their time, attention, and love... sometimes totally unappreciated!

For all the mothers who bite their lips until they bleed when their 14-year-olds dye their hair green.

This is for all the mothers who taught their children to be peaceful, and now pray they come home safely from a war.

What makes a good Mother anyway? Is it patience? Compassion? Broad hips? The ability to nurse a baby, cook dinner, and sew a button on a shirt, all at the same time? Or is it in her heart? Is it the ache you feel when you watch your son or daughter disappear down the street, walking to school alone for the very first time? The jolt that takes you from sleep to dread, from bed to crib at 2 A.M. to put your hand on the back of a sleeping baby?

The panic, years later, that comes again at 2 A.M. when you just want to hear their key in the door and know they are safe again in your home? Or the need to flee from wherever you are and hug your child when you hear news of a fire, a car accident, a child dying?

The emotions of motherhood are universal and so our thoughts are for young mothers stumbling through diaper changes and sleep deprivation...

And mature mothers learning to let go.

For working mothers and stay-at-home mothers.

Single mothers and married mothers.

Mothers with money, mothers without.

This is for you all.

For all of us.

Hang in there.

In the end we can only do the best we can.

And tell them every day that we love them.

Thanks Cheri

You brought tears to my eyes.

My Iraqy daughter is home for good as of last Sat. and coming down to AR to see me today!

What a Mother's day I will have!

How are you liking AR? I think I'm loving it! Except for the ticks. Laura (Carson Crazies) gave me a new sig. line...

Death to Ticks!

Kristen

PS. whenever your ready for a field trip, please come on down a little farther and see us. I have tons of room to romp and in a few weeks my sheep will be here. We need new friends to play with!

Thanks, Cheri. I am kind of feeling morose today and thinking Mother's Day is a bit cruel. You don't actually have time to really enjoy it until you are a grandma!!!

Ok, that was my way negative side. My normally positive side is enjoying the 30th card made for me and read to me by my 3 year old. Thank goodness, because all the cards are full of squiggles and indecipherable pictures.

For my Mother's Day all I want is a day where my kids are nice to each other for a whole day (I know it would be way easier just to get me some flowers, but I can dream can't I?)

Anyway, thanks Cheri, those are really beautiful thoughts and I am wishing mothers everywhere the appreciation they deserve no matter their circumstances.

Tammy

When my kids were young all I wanted for Mother's day was for DH to take all the kids somewhere, anywhere so I could have some peace. Then take out for dinner and I was in heaven!

My youngest is now 14 the oldest is 24. By 14 they don't need you but I'm greatful he still wants me! I get to giggle at the 24 year old when she says how old she is!

Happy Mother's day to all

Death to ticks!

Kristen

Happy Mother's Day to all of us -- even if you aren't a Mom, you had/have one!

My kiddos are 18 and 12, both girls, both homeschooled. Actually I can't call the big one homeschooled any more; she's been taking classes at the community college for a while, and now she's off to William and Mary in the fall. You'd think after 18+ years of near 24/7 parenting, I'd be glad to see her go -- sure! I thought I would be, but when the realization hit that she's finally on her way? I sat and blubbered like a baby :rolleyes: .

Top-spotted my three BC's today -- die, ticks, die!!!

Need to scoot -- gotta go call my Mom!

Yes Happy Mother's Day to us all! May it be a great one!!

May the sun be shining and may everyone here, be surrounded by their family on their special day!!

My two are a 14yr old daughter and a 2 yr old son.

:rolleyes: my mom lives in Missouri. We're really close, and I hate that she lives so far away. My brother and I live here and my other brother is in Afganistan. So I hate that she'll be without her kids. At least she has my dad though right?

I also am on my 4th year of trying for kids, and odds are it wont happen. My husband is against adoption so, I hate mothers day right now.

Happy Mothers Day all moms, I hope your day is good.

Smileyzookie,

I am so sorry you have been trying so hard. Miracles happen every day, including the miracles of husband's changing their minds! My thoughts will be with you tommorow, as it must be a difficult day for you.

Now I feel REALLY bad for whining about my lack of peace! I got over it, I promise, it just started as a dreary morning, our plans for the day fell apart d/t weather and I had a couple of very disappointed/disgruntled/take it out on your siblings children. Things got much better and it ended up being a very nice day. Off to church and a birthday party tommorrow. (who has a birthday party on Mother's Day?, but oh well, means someone else is cooking!!)

I love my kids more than life and I know I'll probably be the same way when mine go off. So proud, but sad, too. I was really, really happy for my oldest to go to kindergarten, but I cried the whole first day and worried thinking the school should really call you and tell you they got there safe. I still shed a few tears on the first day of school, now 4th grade, but oh so happy for them to go, too!!

Happy Mothers' Day to all.

Dang, Smileyzookie! I wish I could pass some of my Mother's Day blessings your way.

I know it's not the same, but if you noticed, my two are six years apart -- no. 2 was three years in the making. She made her entrance after we'd given up and moved to a new farm with a slightly dilapidated barn I'd planned to rennovate myself -- so much for planning!

Also for what it's worth, you've probably heard this before, but do you all know any adoptive couples? My husband felt the same way as yours until some folks we know adopted a super-cutie -- if our Emily hadn't arrived, who knows?

Anyhow, you've helped me appreciate my blessings that much more. I really hope next Mother's Day is a sweeter one for you.

Thanks a lot you guys, I appreciate your kind words. DH is from Guatemala, evidently his family believes if you are married and dont have kids you arent meant to have them. Basically only single people adopt there? :confused: :confused: Its just plain stupid. I guess in a way Im a mom.. Rohan and Riven are like my kids. Im not a mom in the way I wish most, but at least I do have my babies. :rolleyes:

Cheri, that was beautiful, I've got a few moms I'd like to send that to.

Smileyzookie, I know a couple who tried and were told they could never have children. Over the next four or so years they adopted three little ones and said "Three's enough." Right after that they were told she was pregnant. Number four was a very large and healthy baby boy. Don't give up.

My son was feeling bad last night that he hadn't been able to get me a gift for Mother's Day. I told him "Don't worry about it honey, I've already got the two best Mother's day presents I could ever have." A sarcastic smile crept across his face, "Darcy and Devin?" :rolleyes: A few minutes later my daughter wandered up from downstairs, she too said she felt bad that she hadn't gotten me anything. I said the same thing to her that I had said to my son. Without skipping a beat she said "Darcy and Devin?".

Do you think they're trying to tell me something. :D

Shawna: That was very cute! My three oldest are off on their own now, and absolutely know they have been replaced by Rob, Briar and Buddy. The youngest surprised me with a 75/300 lens for my new camera. And his comment was now I could take better pictures of the dogs. (teehee)

Smileyzookie, hang in there and don't give up. My very good friend can't have children and her hubby gets her a gift every year from the fur children. It made her day the first year he did it.

Kristen, I will pop you an email. We love it here, hate the ticks too and have finally settled into our new home.

Hope you all had a wonderful day.

Thanks for posting that, Cheri!

My brother had a new granite countertop installed for my mom Friday. I told her that we are starting to make up for all the years we drove her nuts!

Smileyzookie,

The couple I'm working for as a nanny tried for over 5 years to have kids before she became pregnant, and they tried just about everything. They actually told most people they weren't going to have any kids to avoid the emotional rollercoaster of questions. Then out of the blue she found out she was pregnant. Miracles do happen.

I tell people we arent having kids either. I generally dont go into detail. Too much pain and I dont like discussing it face to face. I thank you for your stories, it is encouraging. Although, at this point, I feel like Im fooling myself thinking someday it may happen. But God is in charge right? I guess he knows best.

smileyzookie - I'm so sorry to hear that. We've only been trying 6 months and it's hard, I can't imagine 4 years. (And WHAT is with the stupid things otherwise intelligent people say?!)

Happy mother's day to all you moms. And happy mothers day to all you dog-moms. I'm still trying to convince hubby that having two dogs qualifies me for flowers and a card. He disagrees.

Natalie, now I am worried I say stupid things all the time. It is so hard to say the right things with something so difficult. I hope I am sensitive to that issue. I was prepared for infertility all my growing into adult time, I lost some female parts in high school and was told I'd likely have trouble. We were super super lucky and didn't have troubles, (except two miscarriages, one twins) but whenever I talk to anyone having trouble, I always think, "But for the grace of God, there go I."

I agree that it is up to God, but I don't think infertility means you shouldn't be a parent. We can't always know what God intends and maybe it means there is a child out there waiting just for us. Now that was probably insensitive given your dh's feelings and culture, so I am sorry if it was. But I don't think you should ever lose hope. There are stories all over the place of surprise babies to people who never thought they'd have any. And of husband's hearts that change.

Tammy - :rolleyes: I wasnt offended by anyones sayings at all. I know you meant to offer your thoughts and only meant for them to help me feel better about it. I thank you for taking the time to write. Im sure some day my husband will change his mind, he's still holding out hope of getting pregnant. My mom had a miscarrage and 2 tubal pregnancies, I dont wish that on anyone and Im sorry you went through it.

Natalie - I wish you lots of luck in getting pregnant. I know every month I'd run to get pregnancy tests for a long time. Finally, I just stopped expecting it to happen. I hope yours happens quickly and it goes well for you. My husband told me happy mothers day yesterday, and I about started crying lol Gotta love him for considering me a mom even if its just to a dog and cat (well and soon another dog) anyway. Good luck to you Natalie, I hope it all happens the way you dream.

The toughest time is the first year when you don't have a mother to even call on Mothers' Day.

My Mom died just after Thanksgiving in 2001. My husband's mother died just after Thanksgiving in 2004.

My father died 5 years before my mother. Chuck's father died 11 days after his mother.

We end up sitting on our hands so we don't call our kids instead of letting them call us on Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day. Yes, all three do call. But receiving is so different from giving.

So, if you still have parents, celebrate, enjoy.

So, if you still have parents, celebrate, enjoy.
Boy, do I ever agree, Nancy. For all of the differences my mother and I had, they don't really matter. She's not going to be around for ever, so I can write soppy sentifmentalities to her in the cards I send. Better a little overkill even, than regretting not ever having done it.

The thing is, sometimes people have to get to a certain age, before they realize that nothing is forever.

What's sad is those that never do come to that realization.

Blah blah blah.

Going to bed now.

Absolutely Nancy and Vicki. I have my mom and grandma next door, I am the luckiest woman in the world and I appreciate that every day. I have a gem of a mom who always did everything she was supposed to do and never did anything she wasn't supposed to! The only grievance I can come up with is that she took WAY too good of care of me and I came to my husband a spoiled brat! I have grown up a lot since then, my mom still helps us out plenty with lots of free childcare. She is as good to my kids as she was to me. She had a health scare with a small brain bleed two years ago and it was about the scariest thing I've ever been through. I love her so much! I know every day is a treasure, for moms and kids. You never get to do it again. My mom is absolutely sure about the way I feel about her, my dh has adopted her as well, he lost his mom when he was 12. I tease him that he just married me for my mom!

I am sorry for your losses, I dread the day when I become an "orphan". My mom promises I will be ready, but I think on this one thing, she might not be right.