BC Boards

How much does your BC eat?

Thanks Paula and everyone. I really appreciate the input. I will admit that 6 cups a day sounds like a lot for a non-working BC. I want to do whatever I can to keep Lewie healthy and give him as long a life as possible.

Doesn't really seem fair that our precious canines have such short life-spans, does it?

Annie's nominal weight is 40 pounds. During the winter, when her activity level is reduced, she eats 1/2 cup of kibble (IVD Intestinal HE) mixed with 1/4 can of moist (also IVD Intestinal HE) twice per day. In the more active seasons, this increases to 3/4 cup of kibble mixed with 1/4 can of moist twice per day. Her food is mixed with about 1/4 cup of low-sodium beef or chicken broth mixed with warm water (for both moisture and flavor), and in the evenings she gets a little baked chicken mixed in with her food. In addition, she gets 3 to 4 specially-formulated dog buiscuits per day.

Recon gets 1 cup of kibble mixed with 1/4 cup water and 4 teaspoons of canned food twice a day. She has to "go outside" twice a day generally. I feed chicken soup for the pet lover's soul adult formula.

FWIW, I know she's not a BC, but Sage eats 1/4 of a cup of the same food mixed with a little water and canned food and she also takes a trip outside twice a day.

Hey Gang, I just want to say thanks for all the info in this thread. And a great big thank you to Samson for starting it. There is much food for thought here (no pun intended, ararar!) and I really want to be the best mom I can be. I always thought that feeding my dogs SD was promoting good health but I certainly realize now that I may not have made the best choice for them.

I talked with the office manager of my day-care/boarding kennel yesterday and she gave some info on Canidae and a brand of organic food. I think a trip to pet store is in order to some serious label reading, which is something I've been too lazy to do.

Thanks again! (Where's the group-hug smiley??) :rolleyes:

This is a chart like the one my vet has hanging in his office...

http://www.placervillevet.com/canine%20body%20condition.htm

I've always gone by the "you should be able to feel the ribs and see a waist, but the ribs should not be protruding".

That was very interesting, great chart. Thanks for posting. I have to say...Misty is Ideal! Woo Hoo! So far, so good! lol