BC Boards

Why Do You Love YOUR Border Collie So Much

I have had dogs all my life and I'm 55 years old. We got a BC for a pet from the paper "free to good home". From that, we got 3 more because we love the breed. We have 10 acres and 2 large ponds that they can run and play in all day. Why has the BC captured your heart as they have mine?

I am not sure that I could put the feelings into words. Although my DH and I will argue on a cold night about who will walkl him, I can easily say that he has brought us closer. We have formed a bond with him that I have never formed with another animal. At least 10 times a day we will look at each other and say "look at him, do you see how he is sitting, on that pillow". (change the see how he is sitting to laying, or look at that face, ro did you see the way that he just threw that toy... etc, etc, etc.) We can't help ourselves. I woke up at 6 o'clock this morning with a terrible Charlie Horse and as soon as I started screaming he was on the bed checking on me to make sure that I was okay. Licked me all over and didn't leave my side until I left for work. It's all the little things added up that you just cannot replace.

Where to even begin? I think it would take up too much space for me to even try.

They crave human attention almost as much as I crave canine attention!

I think about this often. Every dog owners seem to have their favorite breed(s) and when I talk to them, they swear their breed is the best in the world. I don't doubt that's how they feel but nobody will ever change my mind on how I feel about BCs.

I do wonder though, if I got another breed - let it be GSD, Golden, Dorbies - instead of my BC 4.5 years ago, then whatever it was would have been my favorite breed. (or would it???)

I love my BC for her quirkiness, challenges she gave me, energy and intelligence. And she is soooo damn CUTE!!!!!

I think about this often. Every dog owners seem to have their favorite breed(s) and when I talk to them, they swear their breed is the best in the world. I don't doubt that's how they feel but nobody will ever change my mind on how I feel about BCs.

I do wonder though, if I got another breed - let it be GSD, Golden, Dorbies - instead of my BC 4.5 years ago, then whatever it was would have been my favorite breed. (or would it???)

I love my BC for her quirkiness, challenges she gave me, energy and intelligence. And she is soooo damn CUTE!!!!!

I have had many other breeds and can answer without any question that the BC is the best

Because unlike other members of my house hold, my collies are always happily ready, willing and able to do anything I ask of them, go any where I want to go, and stay as long as I want to stay. No questions asked. And most of the time I dont even have to ask them. They truely understand the concept of a partnership, and are more than happy to hold up their end of the deal, even some times when I dont.

Because they constantly remind me, what it is to be a true friend.

Because they give me some thing to strive towards. If we could all be as honest and true as our dogs. You can learn a lot from a dog. I appreciate my dogs most,.... for being dogs. And by knowing them, they make me a better person.

Why do I love my border collie so much?

Because going to the bathroom alone is no fun, anyway. :rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D

I love mine because she's sooo lovey. She can stay curled up on the couch all day with me, but is ready to go go go at the drop of a hat. One of the most interesting thing about BC's overall, IMO, is they come in so many shapes colors, sizes and personalities.

I`ve always thought that a border collie is just a person with a very fuzzy face.

This reminds me of an incident with my first bc, Riley. I was in the car with her in the passenger seat next to me (she may or may not have had her paw on my hand on the shift at the time), looking straight ahead at the road. A police cruiser pulled up next to us and the driver yelled out, ``Hey lady, your husband needs a shave!``

I have never seen another breed with such an expressive face, ears, tilt of the head, body language...all of this. They are just so tuned in to whatever it is you are doing.

As the bumper sticker says, ``If it`s not a border collie, it`s just a dog.``

Having lived around horses and farming situations most of my life, I've always admired working stock and ranch dogs of all kinds. Dogs that aren't just "dogs", but a valuable working "ranch hand", as well as a guardian and companion. While every breed has it's own special attributes, Border Collies and Australian Shepards really got my attention. I don't care for little, delicate, "floppsy moppsy" breeds.

maybe with the BCs its that they WANT to be with me, they have absolutly no desire to be anywhere else, they dont stay at my side because they are trained too, they stay at my side because that WANT to. I can leave all the gates open in my yard walk into the front yard(on the busiest street in the city) and I dont have to worry at all, they will stay at my side and try to help me with what I am doing. if I am out on a walk and something happens that forces me to drop the leashes, it doesnt matter, it doesnt matter what it going on around us, they wont leave my side. Misty may pull when on the leash, but if I drop the leash she will simpley stop and watch me. they may run ahead sometimes, but they dont go far before they make sure I am watching. they WANT me around, Misty often likes to play by herself in my yard, but ONLY if I am watching, if I walk away she runs to the door, give a sharp bark, when I come back she goes back to her playing. its like a little child thats going "mom! mom! hey mom! watch what I can do!". Shadow(BC/Sheltie) was the same way, if the gate was left open over night and she was outside(which happened) she would not go anywhere, when she would slip her collar on walks, its didnt matter, she would just sit down and wait for you to come back and get her. we always took her on hikes and she would vannish into the distance, we idnt have a clue where she was half the time, we just let her of fthe leash and went about our hiking, to this day I dont know where she was while we hiked, but every half hour or so she would appear at our sides, I dont know how she always knew where we were, but she did.

Electra and Rusty arent like that, Electra sticks around because she is trained too, when she slips her collar or her harness on a walk she stops because she is scared, its how she operates, when she is scared, she freezes up. if I were to let her off leash around a bunch of birds or a rabbit or something, her recall would be out the window. she is more then happy to run around playing by herself, and she really couldnt care less wheather or not I am watching. she doesnt follow me around trying to help me anyway she can, she follows me around to tries to steal all the prime spots. Rusty cant come off leash anywhere, sure he adores me and cant stand to be away from me, but let him loose and he will promptly find someone else to adore and cant stand to be away from. he follows me around and sticks at my side because my lap is comfy and he is little enugh to curl up in it.

I'm a first time owner of a beautiful BC. She is just the cutest (mother talk here!) and such a well behaved girl! I think the behavior is the key, then the face! lol She is just such fun to be around. She's lovable, playful, and my shadow! The shadow thing can get annoying, but you could never get mad, looking into those big brown eyes! I think I love her so much, because she is just a "dream" dog. She listens (most of the time, more than not), she's funny, with some of the things she does, she's just so personable for a dog. Everyone loves Misty! Except my family, but that's another thing! Everyone down at the boat dock, love her, they keep threatening us, they're going to take her home with them, she makes up to everyone, she's just so loving. How can you resist something like that?

Guest SweetJordan

I have loved my other dogs just as much, but I've found that BCs are a few steps above other breeds. What's that saying, "if it's not a BC it's just a dog," or something like that. I think that says it all. That's not to say that I'll only share my home w/ BCs after my labby is gone(which hopefully won't be for many many years), because I will(even though I have stated to the contrary in the past). But there really is something extra special about them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had several different breeds of dogs, GSD's, Elkhounds, Labradors, and 1 Kuvasz. Without a doubt my BC Alex is the best. I've never had a bond with a dog like I have w/ Alex. She stays with me without any correction, unless one of the Labs takes off and then it's just a simple stay.

She puts all her feelings in her eyes. All I have to do is look at her and realize how devoted she is to me. I only hope I convey the same feeling to her. Of course the look also has the it's time to play frisbee again thing to it.

Disclaimer: I love my labs dearly and just as much as Scout.

I think I love Scout so much because she can be so, so, so BAD! Her round little eyes are always flickering around, looking for the next cat to "love," the next tennis ball to catch, the next person's lap to jump on. I found Scout at a really difficult time of my life and tried to find a permanent home for her for months . . . yup, she sure did find her permanent home! Not to overstate, but Scout made me feel hopeful and happy.

I have had mutts and purebreds of varying types since I was a very little boy. However, growing up around my great uncles farm I met Border Collies and Rough Collies and knew there was something different about the black and white ones...LOL. Seeing them herd, experiencing a variety of them in play and seeing how they looked back at me with eyes that said, "I cant speak but I know exactly what youre saying" is just part of it.

As soon as I was able, I purchased my first BC and havent looked back since. They tend to have a level of communication that goes beyond other breeds in my personal experience. They are simply amazing creatures physically, mentally and spiritually. I could give a thousand reasons why I like BC's but I can only think of one reason I wouldnt - the shedding. Well, a thousand to one vote says it all IMO.

I know without a doubt that I will never have another breed of dog unless I have a BC.