BC Boards

TRIMMING NAILS

It WILL happen if you clip you dog's nails. Vets do it too, it happens, life goes on. The main thing is that you just have to go on like nothing happend - the dog will recover but if you make a big deal of it, they will too.

Jack will still trust you, but maybe pretend to cut his nails again (I did it every day with Dazzle while she was a pup). Lots of treats so Jack thinks of good things when he thinks of nail clipping.

I didn't even notice when I cut Oreo's quick, because she was so politely trying to get away from me. When I noticed the blood she looked sad. I apologised and continued cutting the rest of her nails. She seemed to have forgiven me right away. Of course she still doesn't *like* having her nails cut, but she didn't like it before that once either. :rolleyes:

Try not to get too worried and uptight about it... I think your own emotions will hurt more than the fact that you cut his quick. Dogs forgive easily.

When Beau was a puppy, I cut his quick and he has never, ever forgotten it and will fight me every time I try to trim his nails. He runs and hides when I get out the nail trimmer, and will often pull away from me when I even just touch his paws.

It's been horrible in a lot of ways because his nails often get too long and break, and then we have to go to the vet and get them cut/fixed, etc. :-(

It's been almost 8 years and I still remember it like it was yesterday...

OK - I have to ask, even at the risk of sounding totally inept - if this happens, what do you do?

So far Bo has been good about having his nails trimmed, but all it takes is one quick movement!

Is there anything in particular we should have on hand?

There's a powder that can be used so it can be a good idea to have some on hand, kind of like what men use when they cut themselves shaving. I think it's called QUIK STOP or something similar.

I've often just held a paper towel to the foot until the bleeding stops.

Maria

Corn starch.

That will stop the quick from bleeding - that and a little pressure. You can get the Quick Stop stuff but the corn starch works just as well IMO. But you have to make sure they don't go run outside right after you quick a nail or it will open up again. And that DOES hurt! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Kyrasmom:

There's a powder that can be used so it can be a good idea to have some on hand, kind of like what men use when they cut themselves shaving. I think it's called QUIK STOP or something similar.

I've often just held a paper towel to the foot until the bleeding stops.

Maria

It's called Styptic powder. Works really well for all kind of minor wounds. We use it on our birds, too, if we "miss".

http://www.greenigsociety.org/firstaidkit.htm#fak12

IMM

I had a vet tell me to "play" with the dogs feet from the time you get it so they are accustom to having their feet handled.

I have cut the quick on occasion and feel terribly guilty. Now I use a dremel and our dogs don't mind but am careful to move from one nail to another so it doesn't get too hot for them.

I have used flour in the past when I made a nail bleed and it worked just fine.

I always make sure that I give a treat when the job is done.

I use a Dremel, too. It works better for me, because now that I have practice I can see the quick sort of coming up and I stop. With the clippers, one snip and that's it--no chance to back off.

Kipp is pretty patient for his toenails. Tess hates it and nothing will change her mind. I did Kipp's nails from the first week we got him. Almost the whole first year we had Tess, we lived in the city and walked on sidewalks, which ground down her nails for me. I should have trimmed them anyway, as it would have been easier to train her to tolerate it when she was smaller!!

I get their quicks every now and then. I just say "Oops! Sorry about that! Here, have some liver!!" and move on. They never seem to hold it against me.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com