BC Boards

Need help and suggestions...our new 11 year old BC

Hi gang! Hope you all had a great weekend. I mentioned before that with the house we just bought comes an 11 year border collie that has never been in the house and has lived his life in a dog run. They were just going to dump him at the shelter and we told them we would buy the house if they threw in the dog.

Anyway, we went and spent sometime with him this weekend and he is a sweet mellow boy that loves to just follow you around. We start moving in on the 15th, but I want him to get used to us as much as he can.

I thought it would be easier on him to stay where he is at now rather than shuffle him back and forth. I want him to have some comfort in his retirement and hope to housetrain him.

We are fencing the entire yard and adding a dog door, as our two have always used that and come and go in the house as they please.

Any suggestions on housetraining our new "Buddy" would be most appreciated. Should I take the introduction to living inside slow or just go for it? He is so easying going and willing to please, I don't think it will be too hard. My biggest concern is that he may not like it inside.

We have signed him up for his health insurance and will have him vetted in a couple of weeks. He is current on his shots and is neutered. If you think of anything else we need to look for or do for our new senior boy, please let me know.

Thanks all. :rolleyes:

Wow! What a great family you are for taking him in! !!!! You already have BC's correct? I am guessing he will do great inside and love the attention, but I would take it slowly. I cannot wait to hear the progress!

Kari

FishinBC, it will be a great help that you will have a doggie door. When we started house breaking Jackson at 7wks it was slow going until 9wks when he discovered the door and what it meant! he started using it and and has since not had an accident. Even at 11 I think he will figure out that he can go out as you want him to. Probly prefer it.

I would go slow. Just having him out of the dog run will help. Maybe just kinda let him decide on using the door to come in. I would probly keep his dog run open. He may feel safe there if things get too stressful for him.

Best of luck, and congrats on new additions! (house and dog!)

I would agree with dixie girl Kirby lived a mixed life by his choice. He ws born outside in a coop.

We kept a coop on our porch because he wanted to spend so much time outdoors. esp when things were hectic in the house. His yard was his job.

He wanted to come in at night and when it was cold but, if the weather was warm he would go out after 4 or 5 hours and stay out the rest of the night.

The fenced yard will be great it will give him much more exercise area.

Fishin you rule! The only thing i can think of is make sure to give him plenty of lovin :rolleyes:

P.S

Any events in the near future? Zag only needs to meet and greet 30ish more people. Sheeze have one semi-timid BC and the Vet gives me homework! :D Heheh Zag does love meeting new people, Then he acts like a hellion, just to spite me :eek: *wink wink grin*

Cheri you and your hubby are angels!!! But I suspect you are just as happy to have rescued this senior fellow from the shelter :rolleyes: . It is something I will never understand about how some people with animals just leave them after years of owning them. Even though he will be much better off with you than before, it makes me sad. I bet he will blossom with the added attention, and the youth of Briar Rose and Rob egging him on. What kind of place did you buy if I can be nosey. Any livestock in your future ?

Andrea D.

Hey A:

I agree, to me it would be like giving a kid away! It justs makes me so angry.

When we went over to measure for the fence, we went into the dog run and I don't think these people have picked up the dog poop in the 2 years since the house was built.

Bill called them today and asked that they have it cleaned out by Saturday. Poor dog.

Three cheers for you giving this wonderful senior fellow a new lease on life! I don't have any experience housetraining a senior dog, but I wouldn't be too surprized if he prefers the outside to being inside until he gets used to the much deserved 'pampering'.

When I was growing up, we had a little pomeranian cross who ABSOLUTELY hated being inside. In the dead of winter when it would be in the -30's, Laddie refused to come inside. If we forced him inside, he retreated to the farthest corner of our basement. He lived to be somewhere around 16 yrs old and never did live indoors!

Cricket, my soon to be 3 year old BC, prefers to be outside during the day and early evening. She sometimes comes in during the day particularly if its really windy. She usually comes in at dusk, hangs out for awhile and puts herself to bed at 9:00 or so.

Once again...THANK YOU!!! I'm going to enjoy hearing all about your new place and all your 'pups'