BC Boards

The Loss of Buddy

IMG_4277.jpg

Monday, Jan 21st at 2AM, we said goodbye to our old boy Buddy. Though he was only with us for 2 years he brightened each and every one of those wonderful days with him. We miss you Buddy, but know that you are waiting for us at the bridge.

I haven't been on in a long while and miss you all very much. No access at work and a busy life makes it hard. Just wanted you all to know about the loss of our wonderful old gentleman, because I know you all more than anyone would understand the big hole in my heart right now.

He went peacefully in my arms. Bless his old heart.

Oh Cheri, you filled his final couple of years with a lifetime worth of love and happiness. In your home he learned what it means to be a cherished member of the family. I was just recently wondering how you and the crew were doing since you hadn't posted here for quite awhile. I am so sorry for your loss. RIP dear Buddy.

Hey Cheri -

I was thinking about you the other day ... the "former So. Cal. ers" ...

I'm so sorry to hear about Buddy. As hard as it is for you, you gave Buddy the best couple of years of his life, and the best end a dog could hope for. My heart breaks for you, though. :-(

How are Rob Dog, Briar, and your son doing?

Jodi

Aw, Cheri, I'm so sorry. You all were so kind to take Buddy in when he "came with the house." Being part of your family made his last two years very nice for him, just as he had deserved all along. But having a tender heart means that it hurts a lot sometimes, and I sure feel for you.

I've missed seeing you online, and I hope you'll find time to check in now and again.

So sorry, Cheri. Been thinking about you and your pack. I remember the amazing transformation of Buddy, when you just got him and how in a few months he was a changed dog with a new lease on life and a great smile. You did good by him. He was a great dog.

Cheri,

I'm sorry to hear of Buddy's passing, and like others have said it warms the heart to know that you made his last couple of years so wonderful and loving for him. He knew he was special to you, and surely you will be blessed for the love and kindness you showed him in his old age. We miss you here. Check in when you can and let us know how everyone is doing.

J.

The story of Buddy is one of the best stories that I have ever read on here. It is certainly my favourite.

I am sorry that he is gone and that you are sad. I would love to see his story and pictures posted again sometime, when you feel up to it.

Thanks everyone I knew you would understand, when no one else would. I miss my shadow following me around the house. Briar and Rob keep looking for him too. It will take time. They definietly know that I need them close and they are so aware of when I need to touch a head or scratch an ear. Other than missing their Buddy they are both doing great. Briar's one kidney is still going strong and no seizures either. Rob is still my fishing pal and can read a trout stream as well as any human angler. Hope you are all doing well and I promise to check in whenever I can.

Thank you again for all your kind thoughts of Buddy.

Oh Cheri, I'm so very sorry to hear that. Dear old man - what a wonderful last couple of years you gave him - but I can imagine how much you're all missing him. It always seemed like he was meant to be yours.

Do check in when you can, and keep us posted on how you're all going. Great to hear that Briar is going so well - she's a tough little cookie. And Rob the fisherman - surely there's a career for him with tourist/anglers - or do you want to keep all his fish-finding skills to yourself. :rolleyes: . Take care.

I will never understand how people can decide that because a dog is old, they will decide to PTS instead of moving with them or dealing with them. Y'all stepped up when his owners let him down. He had a good life after y'all came into it, and I am sure those are the memories he took with him. Bless you for what you did. RIP Buddy, run free, you'll have lots of good company while you wait!

I'm so sorry for you and your family. I remember very well, when you bought your "new" house and welcomed the addition of buddy. You helped to restore my faith in humanity. I'm glad that when it was his time to pass, he did so in loving arms, its all any of us can hope for.

Sara

Cheri, my heart goes out to you. Buddy really touched my heart. You and your love transformed Buddy from a sad looking fellow to one with a gleam in his eyes. Two years certainly wasn't long enough to have him, but for him it was a lifetime of warmth and love. RIP Buddy, you were much loved by many who never had the pleasure of meeting you.

"We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree or an apple or any flowering shrub of the garden is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer or gnawed at a flavorful bone or lifted head to challenge some strange intruder.

These are good places, in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter. For if the dog be well-remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where the dog sleeps. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppy hood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pastureland, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog and all one to you, and nothing is gained and nothing is lost .... if memory lives.

But there is one best place to bury a dog. If you bury him in this spot, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they shall not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he belongs there. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master."

From the Portland Oregonian, Sept. 11, 1925. By Ben Hur Lampman