BC Boards

Do you sleep with your dog?

Guest jackieandryan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always said no dogs in bed. Well that rule ended the first night Lucia came home with me :rolleyes: I put a special blanket on top of the comforter and she sleeps on that. She just LOVES to snuggle. Most of the time she ends up under the bed during the night, but when my alarm goes off, she's rightnexttome for a snuggle. I used to hit the snooze to go back to sleep, now it's a snuggle button. She gets to snuggle until it goes off again and then we get up :D

Mine are all allowed on the bed, even fosters. The only condition is that they have to wait until they are invited (wait until Ive got myself in a good spot and got the blanket organised) otherwise Charlie would be straight up there and lying on my pillow. Charlie would sleep on my head if I let him- he is a snuggler and loves to get as close to me as he possibly can. Sometimes I will let him put his head on my chest if it is comfortable, otherwise he sleeps in the curve of my waist. Delta likes to do things slightly different. She sleeps under the bed! Although if it is really cold she will sleep at the end of the bed, right at the opposite corner to my head. Rose (cat) loves to sleep with me but not the dogs, so she tends to miss out. If the dogs wake early I will put them outside, grab Rose, and go back to bed. She squeezes into the tiniest spots under the blankets and you cannot roll over or you squish her.

Sasha (BCx)has slept in the bedroom for some time now. She usually snuggles (ahem, lets me snuggle) for a little bit, and then retires to my feet. She'll often get too warm, and go to the floor.

Nikolai (GSD) dreams too much, so only occasionally does he stay. He also has to be THISCLOSE, which makes it tricky because he's almost as big as I am.

Sassy (lab/setter) usually forgets that it's bedtime, and flops around, so she usually doesn't stay in.

Zoe (BC) would lick us to death, so she's crated. For now.

Current foster (BCx) Brent usually sleeps in bed with us. He was terribly undersocialized and he needs all the attention he can get. He'd stay in his crate all day and all night if we let him. We only had to drag him in once or twice before he figured out how good the bed was.

Cats are banned for being too noisy and pestering the dogs.

I work a lot of nights, and all bets are off then. I've come home to all 5 dogs (including fosters) in bed with hubby.

Though I said I would never do it, Meg has been sleeping in bed with me for almost a year. She was very hesitant about getting on the bed, but I could tell she really wanted to be there, so I called her up one night and told her to stay. The rest is history. She starts out at the foot of the bed, but when I wake up she is always pressed against my back or legs.

The funny thing is how much more content and happy she has been since she has been sleeping there. I think it reinforces her position as head bitch and confirms that she is first in my heart. She has always been more devoted to me than any dog I have ever owned.

Steward Robbins

This is a new thing for me. Only recently have I allowed the dogs in my bedroom, much less the bed. Cash, my malamute x won't sleep on the bed. He's a floor kind of guy. LT, my little black dog will sleep in an "LT-ball" curled as tightly as possible at the foot of the bed and Soda...well... she's obnoxious. She likes to sleep right next to me. Last night, as a matter of fact, I was going to bed, and Soda came and squeezed in next to me and squirmed and squiggled and moved and stretched and wiggled around for a good 2 minutes until she settled down. Then, I tried to roll over and she grumbled at me, then got up, threw herself into the couch corner with a huge sigh and gave me the stink eye like it had been SOOOO rude of me to roll over.

Ingrate.

Zoe sleeps on the bed if she wants to, but she seems to prefer it only if there's only one human in the bed. If there are two humans she either curls up between our legs or jumps off.

Zeeke isn't allowed on the bed, usually, because he has some territorial issues.

From the minute she was reliably housetrained around the age of one or two years, Godiva has slept in bed with me, but she is small, and she doesn't shed at all, AND she likes to snuggle next to me under the covers, so it is easy--she even puts her head on my pillow like a human would!! Silly dog. She is the epitome of "entitlement." :rolleyes:

A "hurricane of hair," however, doesn't quite cover the amount of fur that Mojo sheds when he is blowing his coat, which apparently lasts for an approximately two-month period in the fall, and then he sheds lightly the rest of the year. So, in the interests of preserving one small, mostly-dog-hair-free area of the house, Mojo sleeps on a dog bed on my bedroom floor, and seems quite content with that. Sometimes, he tries to "ask" permission to get on my bed--he will come over to the side of the mattress, put his head on it, and then stare at me pleadingly, but when I say no, he doesn't seem to mind going back to his own bed. Every now and then, though, I do call him up on my bed as a "treat" by my invitation only, particularly when it is cold in the house. Strangely enough, when he is on my bed, he refuses to go near the head of the bed or the pillows--he will only curl up in a ball at the foot of the bed! Even when coaxed to come to the head of the bed, he will comply, but look very nervous, and as soon as he is released, race back to the foot of the bed. Very odd!

The other weird bedroom thing Mojo does is that he will not leave the bedroom unless everyone is out of bed. Even if one person is up and the other person is still sleeping in the bedroom, Mojo will continue to sleep in there, too, whether on his dog bed or if he was allowed on my bed, until absolutely everyone is up--then he will come happily out of the bedroom and act normally. He won't bother anyone to wake up--i.e., he doesn't ask for breakfast, he doesn't ask to go out--he simply waits; he will even wait all afternoon, if one of us was working all night and is sleeping in!! I can call him out and give him a treat, or take him outside to use the bathroom, and he will look at me gratefully, but then once released, he will rush back to his post. I don't know if he thinks it's his responsibility to guard sleeping people? Again, very strange!

Guest SweetJordan

To answer your question I cannot sleep without at least one dog in my bed.

As far as my BC Riley is concerned though she will only jump in the bed to say hi. Sometimes in the morning before we get up she will stay for a little while until we do get up but that's about it. She prefers the bed when no one else is in it. At the beginning of the summer the AC was broke upstairs, so until we got it fixed a few days later we were sleeping downstairs where the AC was working. Riley on the other hand slept upstairs in my bed the whole night, and I don't think she even moved. My lab starts out in the bed at night and during the winter pretty much stays there all night. During the warmer months he will move around some at night and so he will only spend part of the night in bed. My girl who passed away never left the bed at night, if she did I knew something was wrong.

It depends. Koty, the Schnauzer, has always slept on the bed, but now that he's getting older (almost 8yrs old) it's harder for him to jump up, so he usually sleeps on the large dog bed pillow. The other 4 are bed hogs. LOL They want the bed to themselves. Usually, we end up with a couple on the bed, one on the dog bed, one stretched out in the floor, and one that has gone to a crate (we have 2 large crates still set up if needed). :rolleyes:

But of course! That's one part of owning a dog that I love best! (My last dog slept on my bed with me, for 11 yrs!! :rolleyes:)

Scritching their ears while watching a movie, snoozing with them, cuddling at night...AND it's good for your blood pressure too!! :D

Poppy loves to be up on the bed with me off and on during the day and night. Otherwise he is on his dog bed (in the bedroom). Pepper sleeps on the couch or in her crate at night, but comes up on the bed during the day.

Lance sleeps on my bed (as he has since he was housebroken) but I dont know if I could handle two dogs on the bed. Probably not. So once Mickey is done being crate trained I hope he likes the floor :rolleyes: During the day when Mickey is out and sleeping on the floor Lance joins him so they may both end up on the floor, which is fine by me.

Of my two house dogs, Diva is allowed to sleep with my husband and I whenever she wants, but usually she will only get on the bed after he leaves for work in the mornings. Especially if its cold out then she rushes in after her morning run and burrows up to my back to get warm.

Rags went from being crated in our room, to being allowed to sleep on his blankie at the foot of the bed (on the floor), and now he is allowed to jump up on the bed to snuggle for a few minutes before I get up in the mornings. But since he is still young (5mos) he is only allowed up by invitation.

Lisa h

Yep, I let Black Jack sleep up on the bed with me. I have a gate thing on my door to keep him in my room at night, since Sage has to have food whenever she wants it and a certen someone likes to steal it in the night :rolleyes: I think he feels closer to me when he gets to sleep up on the bed.

She's always welcome on the bed, but she doesn't always sleep there. As much as I detest crating, I do have a crate for long car rides, and I've removed the door from that and made a warm fluffy nest for her in there. She mostly sleeps in that these days (she goes through phases of different sleeping habits).

If we don't have to get up early, she comes to me for wake-up snuggles in the morning. That is, she plops down alongside or on my chest, gets a greeting grunt and a feeble scratch, gives me a nudge, gets another scratch....zzzzz...nudge...scratch....etc. When she's had enough (or gives up) she goes down to sleep between my feet. Sometimes she also starts the night by sleeping between my feet - inconvenient when I'd like to sleep on my side for a bit, but very comforting!

Most of my dogs would be allowed to sleep with me if there were room. However, since I sleep in a single bed only my Rat Terrier "Billy" sleeps with me regularly. All other male dogs sleep in their crates. When they get on my bed they tend to try to sleep on my face so they are only allowed up for a petting. My female Border Collie "Five" usually sleeps in the recliner. My female rat terrier sleeps in a bassinet. When I fall asleep in the recliner "Five" sleeps on the bed.

We used to have a no dogs on bed rule but about 4 months ago we got lazy about it. They aren't allowed to sleep on the bed when both me and my "DB" (dear boyfriend...dumb boyfriend...what do DH and DW mean anyways?) are there. But when there's only one of us in bed Gunnar or Rhea snags the open spot almost immediately. Masi isn't much for sleeping no the bed. There's 3 dogs beds in our bedroom too so if they're not on the bed they're usually on one of those.

I don't know if I'm getting more doggy friendly in my unconscious state or what, but recently more dogs have joined us than used to in years past, though they've all, always been welcome. Ben still won't jump up, and Gus insists on being scritched if he is on the bed so he usually gets invited OFF. However, Maggie in her old age now suddenly finds the bed indispensible for proper sleep. Ted sleeps in a crate still, but would get up here if not. Zhi sleeps up here, no ifs ands or buts. Rocky is my favorite bed dog. He's super snuggly and has the knock of sleeping just where it's the comfiest for you. The other dogs annoy Cord, except Zhi and maybe Maggie, so he generally stays down most of the night.

We've only got a queen-sized bed so there's really not enough room for everyone who wants to come up. I make it pretty clear that position on the bed is meaningless in terms of pack power and everyone must get off if requested - or stay off.

I do draw the line at the livestock guardian dogs joining us - they really belong with the flock! :rolleyes:

Z just spent her first full night loose in my room. She decided that sleeping with me was the best idea, so I had a little white ball of fur curled up between me and the wall at about knee height all night. :rolleyes:

I dont have time to read all replies, but Riven does sleep with me. I cant imagine her not being there actually lol. She is warm, cuddly and she lets me lean on her a bit when my back starts acting up and there is no position comfortable enough to lay in normally. She's a good dog :rolleyes: Now... if I could just get her to flippin quit shedding her black hair on my light green sheets....

Mr. Woo sleeps on my bed. Piper sleeps under the bed. Red Dog sleeps beside the bed and Tweed sleeps in the coffee table.

In my previous household, which I shared with ex Mr. RDM, dogs were not allowed in the bedroom or on the furniture. I don't really have strong feelings on the subject one way or another so I didn't mind. Now that I live alone, the dogs are welcome both on the furniture and in the bedroom but they are not allowed on my bed as they squabble and argue all night about who is going to be closer to me. However, when Mr. Woo came along, he simply got up on my bed and stayed there, and refused to move. In "certain" situation he does need to be crated at night, but for the most part, he and I have a bed time routine down pat that we both like. He is an excellent bed time companion as he does not wiggle, or walk around, or lay on me ... he stays on his side of the bed, and I stay on mine. When he knows I am awake in the AM, he comes over for a cuddle on my chest.

RDM