BC Boards

Do you sleep with your dog?

Guest jackieandryan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, me and hims a pack

He was crated in the bedroom as a pup and as I trusted him more I opend the door of the crate

He comes up on the bed and cuddles up - and when he cant sleep he gets off the bed and plays with my socks (hence why I went to work barefoot today)

What do you do?

Finn (BC) isn't allowed on the bed when Mike and I are both in the bed. Once Mike leaves for work, he can and does jump up and sleep on the bed until I get up. If I get up first, he jumps in the bed with Mike.

But he has to be invited up, otherwise we make him get down.

Max (Kees) never showed any interest in getting in the bed. He never was much for snuggles and only tolerates getting petted. Unless belly rubs are involved, then he's "one belly, no waiting".

Gonzo (cat) is a complete and total bed hog in the winter time. Gets under the covers with us and between us for maximum heat benefits. :rolleyes:

Some of my dogs sleep on the bed, but not in it. Anywhere from 1-4 dogs will share the bed with me, depending on whether or not DH is also in it at the time, and how warm it is.

Yup. And I love it. Ouzo jumps in bed with me when I go to bed, and falls asleep as I read, he then gets off when Chris comes to bed, and most morning we find him asleep at (or on) our feet in bed. After I take him outside in the morning and he eats, if Chris is still in bed, he hops next to him and watches me from there as I get ready for work.

When it was just Sammy(cat) and Cheyenne, Cheyenne slept on the bed, Sammy under the covers. Then we got Jackson and since he was not as careful about stepping on "lumps" under the covers, Sammy found other places. Then Cheyenne got to where it was too much trouble to jump on the bed, then we got Skip, so it was back to two animals on the bed. Then Jackson and Skip had their deal with not being on the bed at the same time. So, now, when DH is out on the road, and I have all this room on the bed, just Skip sleeps on the bed, thisclosetome! Of course, when DH comes home, and there is less room on the bed, they ALL want on the bed! :rolleyes:

Guest jackieandryan
Yup, me and hims a pack

He was crated in the bedroom as a pup and as I trusted him more I opend the door of the crate

He comes up on the bed and cuddles up - and when he cant sleep he gets off the bed and plays with my socks (hence why I went to work barefoot today)

What do you do?

All three of them do. Rylee (the bc) just started recently and hasn't had an accident yet.

I started off not letting them because I hate having hair in the bed, but I gave in.

I cannot sleep without dogs in my bed lol. Happy sleep around my head, Electra sleeps under my covers, on her back with her head on my pillow, Rusty sleep under my covers curled up to my tummy, and Misty sleep stretched against my legs, sometimes under my covers sometimes on them, depends on how cold it is. I just lay awake rolling around for hours if I dont have a dog curled up to me :rolleyes:

Keegan sleeps on the bed when we aren't in it. He sleeps on his bed which is beside our bed. However, a morning snuggle is totally his thing...so he jumps up for the last 30 minutes of sleep.

Tess sleeps between us...Becca (Irena Farm) has got to experience this first hand when sleeping with me in a hotel!!!

Then we have 3 cats but only 2 sleep with us...or should I say sleep with DH. They really prefer him over me so if he is sleeping in the guest room (like this week when he was sick), they sleep with him over me. I get the dogs!!!!

I broke my "no dogs sleeping in bed with me" rule this morning for the first time: Z woke me up whining to go outside so I took her out and then headed back to bed. She was on the floor for a bit, then hopped up and curled up at my feet - I was too comfy to make her move so we both fell asleep like that for another hour. :rolleyes: She'll sleep with me on the couch if I'm watching tv, too.

Maggie has never enjoyed being on the bed or couch with me, but she has earned my trust in the house and she can sleep where she wants. Usually she chooses the dog bed on the floor at the foot of my bed. Z is generally crated because I don't trust her housetraining yet, though it's very tempting after seeing how good she's been recently and how little I like crating her during the day *and* at night - my goal is to eventually get her weaned off the crate at night for sure and maybe during the day too, but I hesitate on that since Maggie likes her space.

Yep Holly sleeps on my bed if she wants. I don't mind but she does try and stretch out, legs in the air, laying on her back and generally taking up a lot more of my bed than she needs!!

If we shuffle about she gets off and lays on her bed on the floor but usually when i wake up she is back on mine.

Zac sleeps in a cage at the minute in the bedroom. I didn't do this with Holly but when we got Zac he had a poorly foot and we had to keep him off it as much as possible and so he has got used to being in his cage during the night. Once he is biggar and i can trust him not to chew things he will be out though and have the choice like Holly.

All my dogs sleep on my bed. The shelties were up on my bed as small puppies within a few days of coming home. The boy used to chew gently on my earlobe when he needed to go out. :rolleyes: On the other hand, Quinn was 6 months old before he was willing to stay on the bed for the night instead of finding fun stuff to do on his own. So until he was ready to hunker down all night, he slept in a crate.

Dexter is definitely a bed dog. He sleeps in his crate in the living room, but whenever he sees the bedroom door open, he makes a bee line and a flying leap! He LOVES the bed. He makes sure he's at his very cutest, too, so he can stay there. He's slept once or twice outside of his crate (he's only 4 months), and it's always in the bedroom with us. He does really well and he snuggles up. I think when he's an adult, he'll be an all-time bed dog. I have yet to fully convince my boyfriend of this, though!

Zipper gets on my bed when we first go to sleep then about 30 mins later he will get off the bed and sleep by the bed, then when its time to wake up he will then jump back in bed and lay on me and try to sleep casue he doesnt want me to wake up

Mine are all welcome on the bed whenever they can find a spot. Speedy prefers the floor, generally, but the rest tend to find a spot.

Dean just got "full house" privileges at night, and he seems to like moving around to sleep in different areas. Sometimes he ends up out on the sofa.

But I like dogs on the bed.

Either/or. Depends on my mood... and whether or not "someone" sneaks up there after I fall asleep. :rolleyes: I can't sleep with all the dogs on the bed at once - there would be squabbles and jockeying for position all night long, which I do NOT find restful - but I rotate who's crated at night and who's out. (I crate to avoid incessant thundering up and down stairs all night long after the cat.) Some mornings I wake up and think: Help! I'm paralysed! I can't move! AAACK!!! - only to realise that Finn and Pepper have spent the night one-upping each other to get closer to my face, and I have 42# of BC parked on each side of my shoulders, pinning my blankets - and hence, ME - to the bed. Usually there are long hairy noses planted one on each shoulder, the cold wet ends of which are mere microns from my vulnerable, sleep-warmed neck. Should I try to - oh, I don't know, sleep past 6 a.m. or something crazy like that - there will be judicious poking with said wet noses. At first just a little subtle nudge, something that might be mistaken for an accident due to a slight shift in position. Then there will be another, maybe a little harder, accompanied by a long-suffering, gusty sigh. If I don't start to struggle out from under dogs at that point, prolonged contact between cold wet nose and neck will occur, along with loud snuffling noises in the immediate vicintity of my ear. This is typically accompanied by a strange burning sensation as the dog(s) in question stare(s) a hole through my skull, the easier to instill its thoughts directly into my brain: Get up, get uuuuuup, get up NOW, we need out and food and 14 hours of nonstop activity! Get up nooooooowwwww, we are DYING of starvation, DYING, do you hear us, don't you love us any more? - And so on.

Sometimes I just want to stretch out unmolested and sleep as long as I want in the morning (which STILL means no later than 8 in the winter, because Ali has a yip that can penetrate the sound barrier, not to mention something as flimsy and insubstantial as my eardrums). In those cases I crate everyone and pray no one hears me turn over in bed, lest the barking begin. (If he suspects I might be awake - or believes I SHOULD be awake - Ali will reliably bark one single, piercing yip every 90 seconds til I get up to murder him - which somehow always gets delayed til AFTER they've been out, and by then I'm awake anyway, so I guess I'll let him live another day. :D This is less convenient in the summer, when Ali believes we should get up at daylight, which might be between 3 and 4 a.m. by his assessment.) :D:D

Let's see... Stormy (my bc)- starts out on my bed with me but will often go under my bed after I fall asleep- he's usually back with before I wake up in the morning, though.

Gretchen (my mom's GSD that is here right now- sleeps as someone said "thisclosetome" with her head on my pillow and her whole body pressed as close as it can get.

Oliver (huge fat orange cat)- sleeps on my head

Tinkerbell (siamese kitty)- sleeps somewhere on the bed- usually in an inconvenient spot- sometimes under covers

DAT cat (foster cat that's been here forever) - sleeps as near to me as he can get without being too near a dog.

If there's no dog on my bed then my cat Charley will sleep with us.

The aussie I found is definately crated at night. I had someone call me and someone email me about her... answered their questions and didn't hear back *sigh* Hope she goes soon!!!!

Lori

When my bf is away, I often invite the girls to sleep on the bed with me. Its a security thing. Rarely, will they all be permitted to sleep with us, due to space. If I've had a particularly rough day, my bf will let them stay, and just wriggle into whatever space in available to settle down for the night.

Otherwise, they are all crated.

Lark and Phoebe generally sleep on the bed with me every night (along with the cats Elvis and Chili Pepper). Twist joins us sometimes, usually only when it's cold. The rest of the time she sleeps under the bed with Jill (so there's always plenty of snarking under there at bed time). Willow sleeps at the foot of the bed. Pip sleeps beside the bed. He is occasionally allowed on the bed but because he is always so overcome with joy when on the bed, which makes life miserable for everyone else, he usually has to stay on the floor. Kat sleeps in a crate in the bedroom (what she prefers--the door is open), Farleigh sometimes sleeps in the bedroom and sometimes in his crate in the dog room, and Boy sleeps in the bathroom. Kat and Pip usually jump on the bed when they think I'm awake and ready to get up. On cold evenings I often have to fight my way under the covers, and if I get up, someone invariably will plop into my spot and put her head on my pillow (um, that would usually be Larky). Spoiled darn dogs....

J.