BC Boards

dixie's gone.....

i adopted dixie 2 1/2 years ago. she came to the cleveland kennel in pretty bad shape. they knew she had to be over 10 years old, she was missing fur and starving when they picked her up. she was rescued by some wonderful folks at the kennel and the senior sanctuary for dogs.

i was so lucky to have had her these few years. she was so funny and sweet, she won everyone over and as my friend becca said, she had more "fans" at the kennel then any other dog.

she was even on the local news once, as a "spokes-dog" for adoting senior dogs. it was halloween and she got to wear her pink dress and tiara. now most dogs don't like costumes, but dixie totally hammed it up. she pranced around and loved all the attention. they even showed video footage of her on the nightly news later that week.

i wrote about her on my blog and incuded some amazing pics. go take a look and see how beautiful (and funny) she was.

she was my heart dog and i was so lucky to have had her in my life there last 2 1/2 years.

link to dixie's send off....

ok, i am crying at work again, time to go!

My heart aches for you. I know to well the loss of a special friend.

It is obvious your life paths were ment to cross, how very special for both of you to have found each other, if only for a way to short time.

Everyone here on these boards hurt and feel your saddness, when we have to say a "temporary" good bye to another precious friend, even if we only knew her through cyber space...

((((( hugs)))))

I'm sooo sorry :rolleyes:

Hugs from the McD pack, Dixie was a goreous girl and I am sure you gave her the best years of her life. I see that everyday from our old Buddy we aquired. He will live his last years in comfort and love just as your beautiful girl did. Bless you.

I am so sorry for your loss, and so glad that you took Dixie into your heart and home. I am especially happy that she acted as a spokesdog for adopting elderly dogs. Old dogs are great. Thank you so much for sharing your love of Dixie with us. Hugs from Jester and me.

So sorry for your loss. Not right now, but later you will find comfort in the joy you got from her! Know that we are all there with you and feeling some of your pain. You gave her a wonderful life for a short while, but it was probly what she would remember the most. Bless you all, take care.

I'm so sorry. I have nothing to add to what the others have said, because it's the simple truth: She was very, very lucky.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking in a 'senior' girl and loving her even though you knew the time might be too short. It takes a special person to do that. Everyone loves a puppy...but there are not enough people who see the magic of a senior. Thank you for giving her some truly golden years. She will remain forever with you in your heart.

I am so sorry for your loss. Dixie was a lovely girl and she was very lucky to have you make her golden years so loving and special. Making the "right" decision for our old infirm ones is never easy but I'm sure Dixie would thank you for it if she could. I'm sure that you will remember her with joy as your grief eases.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Like Sandra said I don't have much to add. I know that Dixie enjoyed the last few years of her life with you, without you she wouldn't have had that. I know it's hard not to think about losing her, but try to remember all the fun and love you guys had together. You both are very special. Stay strong and rememebr, she'll always be with you no matter what. God Bless you, and Dixie

thanks so much, everyone, for the kind words.

don't be sorry for me. it was painful to lose her, but my gosh, i was lucky!

i had 2 1/2 years with the most amazing dog. and someday i will adopt another senior dog again.

someone from the cleveland kennel rescue group wrote this to me, and it meant so much:

"You noticed those little, special things about her that no one else would have noticed. Her hairy fancy feet, her 'wild' side, the way she 'twisted' & 'spinned', her sensitivity, the special way she looked at you with love, and her sense of humor! I always pictured Dixie as a 'stand up comedian'...if only she were human. Those are just some of the special things about her that you appreciated. She was always smiling and laughing...and I know that she is doing that now. Dixie is so grateful that she was given the second chance to have a LOVING family-who laughed with her every day, and not to mention the biggest 'fan club' any other dog from the Cleveland Kennel has ever had!"