BC Boards

Nutty Outbursts

Hi

Scampi has these "moments" which I think can be a known behaviour in Collies..from what Ive read, their so called Loonie Behaviour?

He is 10 months now and very good with his training and is very well behaved on walks and his heel training is coming on nicely, still needing some work but he is much better now.

The thing is, say for instance I am doing the rubbish and shaking a black bag, or shaking out the washing, he gets very excited and starts jumping up and down snapping at thin air with a high pitched yapping.

I have to reprimand him by shaking my bottle with stones in to stop him then call him to me and distract him.. (the bottle was initially used quite a few months ago to stop his biting advised by my trainer at the time and this worked wonders)

I go to carry on and he will repeat his nutty outburst.

Is this something that happens to any of your BC's?? and do you do anything in particular to stop this behaviour?

Thanks for your help

All I have to do is go into the laundry room and touch the dial on either the washer or dryer. Fergie dashes to the den or keitchen door and barks like crazy.

She associates the laundry stuff with going out the back door to hang laundry - and chase squirrels.

I have to thank my husband for Ouzo's crazy reaction to shaking a new plastic garbage bag or any coats. Although he reacts more when Chris does it. With me, he knows I'm not provoking him like my dear beloved husband does :rolleyes: He also only nips Chris on the pants, never me (not since he was few months old, that is).

my bc mix does not like the sound of a plastic bag, whether a grocery store bag or garbage bag being opened and shaken open. the first time I did it she barked at it.

little by little her bark has turned into a whine or a goofy look. we adopted a little less than a month ago...

she has her quirks....BC for sure...

Dylan goes a bit nuts when I take cushions or rugs off the floor - barking, basically. I taught him to lie down and I don't move until he does that - he is really good now, lies there wagging his tail a million miles an hour and "complains" - whiney, yawney, growly stuff. I just told him to lie down at a distance and praised him while he stayed there. I moved very slowly and stopped moving if he moved so much as a centimetre. Then I would pick up a cushion - very slowly - and praise him for staying. If he moved, then go back to the beginning and try again without getting angry. Just took it slow. Now I can practically shake a huge rug in his face and he won't budge. He does still have occassional moments, but we take it all in good humour. I don't get "mad" at him or shake anything at him tho. - just act disappointed and stop what I'm doing.Try again. I guess you will have to teach him an alternative behaviour.I don't know what purpose distracting him would have, as it sounds like it is a temporary measure and he starts up all over again when you resume what you were doing. I suppose you need to get him to cope with what you are doing - I'm not sure Dylan would ever ignore what I am doing completely... He has to be party to everything in some way. (Dylan is also ok around the lawnmower - I did that later and trained him to stay away from it and leave it alone - we did that very slowly and in small steps. He is actually better with that 'cos I started him on it without his ever having had a reaction to it in the first place.) No expert at all here - I'm sure other people will have ideas, but this is how we coped ! Good luck.

Yeah mine too go nuts after any bags blowing in the wind. If you snap one however they are afraid of it and will duck away. We are working on that with treats though.

Hmm, my Baileys reaction is very different, if I shake out washing or a plastic bag of any kind he will run a nd hide, but if he's close by and I havent noticed he'll cower and wet himself!!! Yes they terrify him, I'm not sure which behavior I'd prefer, I feel soooo guilty everytime I scare him accidentally!!!!

wow I could write ten pages on Bc looneyness :eek: My Badger is a very rare BC, he only does a couple of nutty things, he is so laid back. My old Bc called Rooney, sadly not with me anymore, was sooo crazy, a couple of examples. When anyone sneezed he would hang of the nearest door handle, he loved to watch snooker or football on the tv and try to catch the ball, herd my ex husbands tractor up for hours as he was driving it,not Rooney driving of course, :rolleyes: he would nip at the wheels it was amazing to see how the two of them timed it to the second, Rooney lived till he was 17 i might add so it never did him any harm.

I don't stop the loonies :rolleyes: I love seeing them do their silly stuff!!

Pete for example with while and do a butt dance come food time!! them when I tell him to back up does this again but throwing himself on the ground. but he just does this dance around!! every morning and night :D:D:D

and Shelby Whoo hoo is she looney! there is the getting wet thing. after she gets wet she starts to whine and bolt as fast as she can back and forth back and forth. or if I am doing laundry she helps by taking it out of the dryer for me and bolting around with whatever she grabbed then drop it at my feet it cracks me up so I don't stop it!!

Kessie isn't very nutty. She's an addict with several addictions, but nutty...that's Kyla's territory.

What do your dogs do to express happiness after a good dinner? :rolleyes: Kyla climbs on the couch between my mum and me and tries to stand on her head.

Sometimes I'm sitting on the arm rest, so there's enough space for a somersault. But normally she just stands on her head, butt in the air, and then slides sideways, biting the blanket I've got on my feet (she's learning that chewing on us is not the right way to express her contentment, but she's got to bite SOMETHING). Meanwhile she wiggles and grunts.

I've never seen anyone enjoy the little things in life so much (guess she didn't have a sofa or a bed before...she still checks if "her" bed is there whenever she comes home), but nuts she is, no doubt about that .

All I have to do is sing to Poppy or jump on the bed and he starts doing his zoomies through the house and leaps onto his dog bed and starts spinning in circles and mauling it.

It's hysterical.

Black Jack talks to me in the morning when we're about to go out, and just before I feed him in the morning too. It sounds like a "aww woo woo woo". It's so funny. But if I make that sound when I'm looking at him he looks at me like "your crazy" licks my face, and runs around like crazy. I guess he doesn't like hearing it?

Amber attacks water as it is coming out of the hose to fill her bucket. This is her favorite game besides herding my catahoula back tome after he play fetch. If Slate does not want to play fetch Amber won'teven go after the ball. Sounds like there are some ideal canidates for stupid pet tricks. I really love the standing on the head deal. jeanne

Originally posted by amberkaster:

Amber attacks water as it is coming out of the hose to fill her bucket.

Oh yeah Popcorn herds the sprinkler! Circling it, nipping it, rushing in and subduing it! It is so funny!!!

Black bin bags - yep - Rhiw hates them and runs upstairs when I take the bag out of the bin- he hates the noise I think. I think I must have scared him accidentally when he was a pup, shaking one out too near him. Reminds me of the way cats reacts to the sound of tinfoil.

OMG-Cody after eating does this hlarious stunt wiping his face off-he must have OCD about cleanliness!!!Right after eating he runs full speed thru the dining room and slams himself down on the floor wriggling all over and wiping his face up against the couch or loveseat and rolling around snorting-we crack up everytime he does it, doesnt matter what he's eaten at meal time, either, he just does it. Either he is super clean or he is so happy and satisfied that he expresses himself in such a way, but it is sure entertaining!

I think it's fun to read about the extreme joy that food brings to some of your dogs!

Ouzo will sometimes come to me after he's eaten and lick his muzzle, but not excited, just a polite "Thanks!" He never gets excited about meal time. Treat time, that's something else. He would do all the tricks he thinks I want, just to get a treat. I think he sees his meal time just like any other physiological need, same way he wouldn't get super excited after going to the bathroom, either

He's just not crazy about food. HIS food. Our food, or the garbage, or NAPKINS!!! that's something else Given the choice between a piece of meat and a unguarded napkin, most certaintly he would go straigt for the napkin. I think it's the forbiden fruit theory that applies here...

its mainly a overexcited behaviour I am trying to get at.... if the kids start singing or they are excited themselves as they come in the room, or anything not calm.... thats when scampi starts jumping up and down catching thin air LOL!

it started in Summer but he was actually chasing flies than hahaha....now its like he is catching the flies but there isnt any...like its a habit!??

He is responding alot when i am telling him to stop now though and he comes to me and sits close to calm down!

Also he will not act like this when OH is around cos he is master! this is something I constantly work on as things started out hard as a young pup....basically I let him get away with too much - mistake learnt though and slowly, very slowly its getting better.

Georgia can't stand it when the washer doesn't spin during the spin cycle. It's an older washer... Anyway, the washer will flip to the spin setting but not spin. And Georgia come running from wherever she may be in the house barking and chasing either my husband or me towards the laundry room so we can reset it. This is the only time she behaves this way. I've thought about getting her to stop, but sometimes I get distracted and don't hear it myself. I think she thinks the washer is an uruly beast.

Originally posted by sandra s.:

But normally she just stands on her head, butt in the air, and then slides sideways, biting the blanket I've got on my feet (.

Ceana stands on her head too! I have never had a dog before her and I thought it was normal! Shows what I know She backs up into us sometimes while she is sitting on her head tushy raised to the sky. Ceana is not as coordinated though, sometimes this posture ends with her tumbling off the couch. Sometimes she does it while I am doing yoga, underneath me while of all things I am in "Downward facing dog" posture.

My favorite thing that she does though is whenever my other half and I hug she get up on her hind legs and puts her front legs on us to have a "family hug." All you have to do is say family hug and she is on two legs and extra snuggly. LOL these stories are great, what wounderful dogs.