BC Boards

Shelf Life - Natural Balance

I've been using the Natural Balance dog food that comes in the large tubes for my training sessions. It's easy to cut up and easily chewable....for my dog :rolleyes: I can cut out a portion, leaving the rest in its wrapping, and leave it in the fridge for some time. It's kind of like the sausage tubes for snacks. For easier preparation, I was wondering if anyone knew about how long it would last if I cut up the whole thing, stuck it in a ziploc and refridgerated it? Thanks!

I usually cut it into sections, and then the sections into tiny bits as needed. For me, I have had it keep for about 3 or so weeks that way (large sections in individual bags). I have not had any around longer than that, opened. I have also cut it up into tiny pieces and frozen it, then put it in the fridge the day before I planned to use it. That worked, too.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

I use the same for training most of the time, especially puppy training! It works SO well to get silly ADD puppy's attention.

I do the same as Allie. I cut up portions (which is about 2" each) of the biggest role, and keep one in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. Otherwise, they will get gross if it's in the fridge for much more than a week.

I use the Natural Balance for extra special treats, like for nail trimming and fireworks. I discovered accidentally that if I spread the tiny bits out on a plate and let them dehydrate, they stay good for flippin'ever. They did mold when I left them out in a baggie, but dried out, they do great, and the doggies still love 'em.

Ruth n the BC3

They are basically cooked meat so be careful handling them after exposure to air at room temp. It might be better to dehydrate in a cool oven (200F), or the microwave, much like you'd do with hot dog bits.

In the fridge they are probably safe for about a week - again, probably similiar to an uncooked, unsealed hot dog.

I used to use Red Barn rolls for treats and they went moldy about two weeks after opening (ick).