BC Boards

Happy Birthday Ben

Well, I'm well known for being rather bored with discussions of dog's birthdays (first birthdays are an exception as it's always interesting when a puppy passes into supposed adulthood). So I'll eat a little crow here for Ben's benefit - in light of recent events, it seems appropriate to celebrate a birthday that we came close to missing.

A year ago we were caught up in our own little problems and I totally missed Ben turning the big 1-0. His first birthday, nine years before, was spent at a herding clinic - the very first time we were on sheep. I'll never forget how happy he was. I have a great picture of him sitting outside the training pen with this big goofy grin on his face and I look at it and remember all the big dreams that were in my heart.

Time passed and Ben got the worst of my ineptness at training, and our lack of ability to find help, and my getting too caught up in rescue, and several bouts of illness of course, and several family disasters. Until last summer he had practically fallen by the wayside - then we moved and Ben stepped up and showed what he was made of - all sheepdog with a ten year old heart that was ready for anything.

But when he disappeared earlier this week, it wasn't the wonderful things he did for the farm last year I thought of. It was all the years before when Ben was just Ben.

I'm so grateful now that he's here for his eleventh birthday. Dogs have no concept, I don't think, of "special" days and special treats are just jackpots that fall from the sky unless you go out of your way to charge a particular event. But Ben got homeade organic chili for breakfast (he loves spicy food) and he's getting a yummy meatloaf tonight - the "people" are getting meatloaf but none of the other dogs are, so that will make it special in a way, I imagine.

And of course, except for a little simple work being done by Rocky, Ben's the Main Man again here while Cord recovers from his mystery injury.

Happy birthday, Ben, and many more. Enjoy your meatloaf - I'm enjoying my crow!

Rebecca what a wonderful tribute to Ben! May he reign supreme through meatloaf and all the oraganic chile he can handle. Oh and be careful flossing the feathers out of your teeth. We all have to sucumb some time :rolleyes:

Andrea D.

By the way, to Ben fans who sent funds to the Ben reward fund - we'll be picking up a new rescue tomorrow and we'll use the money to fund that trip (100 miles one way). Thank you!

Doubly sweet, to be able to celebrate an eleventh Bday in any event - but especially one that was so near to being missed.

Happy Bday to Ben from all of us (especially Pepper, who is ALSO turning eleven today, 2/2/07... hmmm, could they be littermates? Pepper DID come from the east coast... VW, I think, but I'm not sure. Heh. It would be HILARIOUS if they WERE littermates!) :rolleyes:

Happy Birthday Ben! And have many more to come.

I like spicy food to, but I don't think I could handle chili for breakfast, and meatloaf for supper :rolleyes:

Happy B-day Ben,

Rebecca, I read the thread about Ben and was so releived to hear he had 'mysteriously' come home!

I had the same thing happen to my baby cat. I rescued her eight years ago and she was an indoor cat. About four years ago I had to move and my parents agreed to keep her for a while. (She has a border collie escape artist brain) She managed to get out one day. Exactly (and this is weird) one year later I pull into my dad's driveway and as I am shutting off the engine--a little peach cat wanders up to meet me at the front door. Doubting that it is my little baby at first because she if filthy and scrawny. I noticed she was still wearing the collar I had bought her. Needless to say, I grabbed her and carried her inside. Then we went home to Mommy's new apartment that had a no pet policy. I still have my little girl--still possessing of the same snotty attitude!

I am glad you didn't have to wait that long to get your baby back!!! It makes you cherish them more than ever to be without them even a day....