BC Boards

Leather field/hunt collars

I use Gun Dog Supply or Gun Dogs Online. I can't remember which one gives the most lines on the brass plate, but whichever one it is, that's the one I use. The leather hunt (ring-in-center) collars are quite nice, though most of my dogs have changed to the plastic coated nylon ones because of the amount of time they spend in the water....

J.

I've gotten collars from J and J, Border Springs, and Bill Boatman. Of those I liked J and J the best (I've still got the leather collars I got from them for my first two Border Collies). And I liked Border Springs the least - the plates didn't last two months and the collars fell apart a couple months after that. Bill Boatman's options opened me to the possibility of using the vinyl coated nylon - they are more attractive than you might think, and last forever.

I now get mine from Wholesale Kennel Supply in Siler City (NC). I can pick them up and save on shipping - they also provide free plates. I do the coated nylon with them - they have nice colors. And they really do stand up to serious abuse - I left one out on a fencepost accidentally all summer and it still looks brand new.

Hmmmm...guess I'll be making the trip to Siler City (all of what, 10 miles) for some new collars. I need new name plates for everyone anyway, and I really do dislike the blaze orange that a couple of mine wear (although it's safe at this time of year). Thaks for the reminder Becca!

J.

My dogs are wearing coated nylon collars from this place

http://216.36.250.99/nixdogcollars/

that i've had for oh, 10 or 12 years? And my dogs abuse collars swimming and such at the farm. He can be a little hard to get an email response from but the collars are nice and the nameplates good. And seriously cheap. He usually has other colors than what he lists as well. I have blue, purple, red and orange. I got some of the same style from Gundogsupply but don't like the buckles, they're hard to get on and off.

I now get mine from Wholesale Kennel Supply in Siler City (NC). I can pick them up and save on shipping - they also provide free plates. I do the coated nylon with them - they have nice colors. And they really do stand up to serious abuse - I left one out on a fencepost accidentally all summer and it still looks brand new.

A friend of mine in college was from Siler City.

Thanks for the info!

It's been my experience that leather smells much, much better on a wet dog that nylon. Nylon holds on to the smell. I moved to a house on a lake this summer so my dogs were basically wet all day, every day. I gave up on their pretty BC print nylon collars and put leather on all of them. I actually need to get some new leather collars for the pups. I had Sage try some on in Petsmart today but he was between a 16 and 18.

I do like those gun dog collars, though I can't figure out why some of the collars from the supplier are $3.95 but the others, which look almost the same, are $16.95. (It doesn't say the cheaper ones don't come with a name plate.)