BC Boards

Ignorance is Bliss

Watching my dogs play together outside is one of my favorite things to do. I love watching the two of them play.

Boy is feeling MUCH better today and wants to play, and I'm not stopping him. I'm certainly not encouraging him either! But I'm not going to take away his happiness.

I couldn't help but worry myself sick while they played a short while ago though. He was running fast and turning quickly and having a blast while I was chewing my nails down to the quick.

I asked the vet what restrictions he should have and she said to start using a harness for when he's on a leash, and to discourage him from jumping up and down (not counting the couch and car), and to discourage wrestling between the dogs. They don't really wrestle, but will run alongside eachother or chase eachother. She said there's a level of risk there but he'd be miserable if he couldn't do that, so to let him.

I understand and agree. I have my own health problems and I'm not supposed to do alot of things. If I didn't do the things I'm not supposed to do then I'd have no life at all and would rather be dead! I'm not supposed to have two big dogs either! They could break my ankle or something. :D

I want to watch them play with a smile on my face, not with tears in my eyes. I don't know if that's going to happen for a while though. :rolleyes:

Ignorance is bliss.

Michelle, you are in such a hard place now. But I personaly think you are doing right with your boy. He only has one moment at a time. He doesn't think of the future, and he would never understand restrictions on his play. I think if he was doing stuff to cause him pain, he would stop. Probly just give him some pain meds when he has played alot.

Keep loving him, and let what ever time there is be happy times. Those are the memories you will want, and the "now" he needs.

(((((((((((hugs to you,DH, and Boy)))))))))))))

I soooo agree with Linda, it is bittersweet sometimes, but I think most of us know they just gotta be dogs. And I also agree that if it was causing him physical pain he would stop and you would know. Did the Dr. give you pain meds for him?

Right now you are feeling the pain for Boy, and although I don't want to see you in pain either, at least you and us human types understand what is going on, Boy dosen't, he's just thinking, "dogs just wanna have fun", and that is a happy thought!

You are right about ignorance being bliss, and sometimes that in itself is a blessing.

Hang in there Miz, we are all here and will be, so make sure to share all the happy moments with us as well.

My heart breaks for you Boy and your Hubby, please know I have and will say a prayer and send positive vibes your way. Wish I could do more....

(((((((((lot's of sweet gentle hugs)))))))))

miz honey, i sort of know how you feel right now though i was not able to say so the other day.

i felt the same after tikki's diagnosis. i felt like my whole world had collapsed around me and i was in a dreadfull state. i wondered if i should still let him walk when he felt up to it, if i should only let him in the garden to go to the loo. ijust felt so hopeless i didnt know what to do.

i realised though one morning that i had started to grieve for tikki, it was a bolt out of the blue. everyone around me said it was normal given his diagnosis, but i then realised it was doing me and tikki no good at all to grieve for my beloved lad whilst he was still here! it was in that moment i decided to try and carry on as normal and enjoy what time he had left. it gave me the strength to seek alternatives (in our case that was homeopathy). dont be afraid to seek different choices, everyone thought i was insane trying an alternative approach, but though i was told my dog was going to die, when i looked into his eyes i did not see a dying dog. i saw a dog who was in alot of pain and discomfort (that was very hard) but i also saw a dog who was not ready to give up the fight just yet. i dont know how long he has left, but whilst he is prepared to keep going so am i. if i had taken the vets word as gospel, i would have had to put him down before christmas. my vet is just as pleased as i am for her to be proved wrong. i'm not saying tikki will get better, but the condition has (as far as i know) only ever got worse for other dogs, not started to improve! someone said to me the other day that most diseases/conditions used to be incurable, but someone somewhere is the first to get better and find a cure.

i'm not trying to give you false hope and say that boy will be just fine, i cant do that - no one can. but if you see the same fight in boys eyes as i did in tikki's, dont be afraid to give it every last shot from every angle possible. people will probably tell you to be realistic etc etc, i was told it more than once. i just chose not to listen and give it a damn good try anyway.

i understand that boy's problems are different to tikki's as it involves the skeletal structure, but you never know you may still be able to find something to help it, or at least stop it from getting worse. if ever you need a shoulder to cry on, i have 2 ready and waiting for if you should need them.

love and hugs to you, boy, fynne and mr tiki xxx

Miz -

I feel for you so much. You know this, I've said it a thousand times, you and Boy are my inspiration. Even now through all this, you continue to inspire me,and others im sure. I do like the thought that Boy doesnt know whats really happening. He has no clue how serious his condition is. And that is comforting!! Take comfort that his days are full of fun, being normal, and happiness. And Miz, you and Mr. Tiki provide him all that. Remember that you told me dogs have to have a life too? Even though boy is sick, he does too, and its superb that you are willing to do that for him even though it causes you worry. There is a lot of support here, and I hope you always utilize it. If you need a n y t h i n g at all let me know.

Lots of love and prayers to all of you Miz, Boy, Fynne and Mr. Tiki.

Miz and Mr. Tiki,

My heart and my spirit are with you guys pretty constantly right now, I wish I was close enough to come over and give you all foot rubs and then take you out for ice cream!

Anyway, for what it's worth, I disagree with the thought that Boy will stop if he's in pain. I've seen my dogs bull their way thru lots of stuff and only acknowledge discomfort well afterward. I think that you've got to be the gatekeeper for Boy, and keep track of his activity level and learn how much he can tolerate without being miserable the next morning. It's something that you just have to learn. As good as you are at observation, you'll pick it up quickly. I wouldn't hesitate to give him whatever pain the vet prescribes, or ask if there's something you can give before hand if you know he's going to have a busy day.

I know your hearts are breaking, and that you've got a lot of work still to do. Keep posting, emailing, sending up balloons, whatever it is you need to do. We're here.

Ruth n the BC3

You guys are great, you know that? You really are and I'm so glad to have you as friends.

Boy doesn't seem to be in too bad of shape after running today. Not bad at all really.

I keep telling myself that he's had back problems for a long time, at least since last fall when it was discovered during the neuro exam. She (vet behaviorist) wasn't too concerned though, thought it might be a touch of Uncle Arthur or something, since he didn't have any typical symptoms, or findings during the exam.

He's been playing rough and hard for a long time with these problems, so I just need to remember that. Yeah, he could move wrong with horrible consequences, but heck, who knows which of us is going to get hit by a car tomorrow?

I'm gonna try my darndest to just cross that bridge when we get there. In the meantime, my baby Boy is happy and loves life, and I love him, and I'm going to enjoy him as much as I can for however long the good Lord lets me.

Ice cream sounds super! It's really hot here today and I've been outside in my new shade bed. The worms are doing a terrific job of loosening the soil for me. A couple more weeks or so and then I've got lots of plants to put in that area. Can't wait!

Ignorance really is bliss. I think if we can ever come close to having the coping mechanisms our four footed pals have...we'd be in a good place. I know that for all of the times I've been heartbroken over one diagnosis or another, and felt helpless and terrified, I eventually got my strength to cope from the one I was freaking out over.

They don't feel sorry for themselves and often can't figure out why we're so darned teary eyed...when life, for them, is good.

Enjoy Boy enjoying his life, you'll better understand his bad days, and more fully appreciate the good ones. Though I'm sorry to hear about his diagnosis...he's in good hands with you, and you with him.

Maria

Michelle,

If I was in your place, I would be feeling exactly the same way. But just remember that Boy is enjoying a life where he is loved and cared for, thats all that really matters to him. Now that you know about his condition, things can only be better for him. Nothing will change in his view, but you will understand why he acts like he does at times, and you can find ways to alieviate pain that he has.

You would have felt simply awful if you didn't know about his condition until after something major happened to him.

And remember, YOU are the best thing that ever happened to Boy!

((((Hugs to you))))

the day after i read your post about boy's diagnosis, i came home to find my dixie quite ill. she's an old girl and had been a bit lethargic lately, and i came home to find the kitchen covered in diareaha and blood. turns out she has acute pancreatis and a possible ulcer. we almost put her down (yesterday evening) but decided to give it another night and some cortisol injections.

today she's so much better! we decided i would bring her home (since she was so depressed everytime i left her at the vet's.) she's still not out of the woods and she could take a turn for the worse at any moment. but i decided to bring her home and have what fun we have left.

she might not make it past the weekend, or she might be around for months to come. so i have decided to just love her every day, enjoy our time, and see what happens.

she was so excited to leave the vet's office, she jumped right up unto the high seat of my jeep. my first reaction was to stop her and help, but she wanted to jump and i let her.

carpe diem!