BC Boards

As an early Christmas present...

Send the cute girl some "smooth surgery"/"fast recovery" vibes - we go in tomorrow at 8am and I pick her up at 5pm (no overnight since it's through the vet at work).

Also, anyone have some good suggestions on a homemade "Bite Not" type collar? Z will be crated overnight and while I'm at work. I think an E-collar is just going to be too difficult for her to maneuver while crated, but she needs something to keep her away from the stitches when unsupervised. I've heard of using a split plastic container and vet wrap or a towel doubled/tripled up and tied, any other ideas or experiences? Thanks!

Good vibes as requested coming your way, Erin - from a looong way away, but they should get there about the time you pick her up.

Sorry, no help on collars - my vets haven't used them, and so far (touch wood) over 4 dogs and several cats, haven't ever needed a collar to stop them licking at stitches.

I'm sending good thoughts for her. I hope it goes really smooth. Let us know how the little girl does.

ETA: At the shelter we use an old t-shirt with vet wrap around it (not to tight) to keep them out of it. Looks pretty weird, but it works most of the time. Male dogs are a little harder to use the whole t-shirt, vet wrap thing on :rolleyes:

You could try putting some bad-tasting chew-deterrant stuff on the suture line. At work (I'm a vet nurse) we use a product called Fooey (australian product I think but I may be wrong) that doesn't interfere with wound healing and also does not sting. It stops dogs licking their sutures straight away (also makes for some laughs when you see the look on their faces after they first taste it). I'm sure you could find a product similar. Other than that you could try a belly bandage using vet wrap/old t-shirt but if she's alone long enough and wants to enough she'll manage to get it off.

Just so you know Bonnie wore an E-Collar after she was speyed and she did fine with it in her crate. But every dog is different so best just to see how she goes with whatever you end up doing.

Erin, hoping everything goes just fine for the Z! Let us know when she is all okay. I would go with a t-shirt also. You can cut a hole in the bottom of the shirt, just where you can stick her tail in it to keep the shirt from riding up on her. If you are handy at all with a needle and thread you can make large basting stitches and then draw them up and tie them off. That should keep the t-shirt where it needs to be.

ETA: They are not true basting stitches. Basically it is an in and out with about 2" space between. I hope you understand what I mean! I could come up and do it for you if needed! :rolleyes:

Hehe - you guys are all so wonderful (and humorous :rolleyes: ). Z got out of surgery around noon and I went in to see her before I left for lunch at 12:15. She was soooo pathetic looking: all sprawled out, bleary eyes, shaking a bit, and holding her head funny (I think likely due to the room spinning as she came to). I rubbed her ears and she relaxed a bit. Poor puppy!

She comes home around 5:30pm today, hopefully she'll be feeling at least a bit better. :D I think I may bring her to work for the next few days and use a tshirt over night (great suggestion!), bitter apple at minimum.

Z's ready to get back to normal life already! Wanted to do the stairs instead of being carried and got all happy to see the leash come out. Very disappointed when she only got a 10 min walk this morning. :rolleyes: She was quite pathetic last night and slept very soundly, but you couldn't guess that she had surgery less than 24 hours ago by looking at her now!

She's wearing Maggie's old Christmas dog shirt to keep the licking down - it fits perfectly!