BC Boards

I got to check out some cowboys today :rolleyes: . Went up to Lodi to watch a cattledog trial. I've never seen one before, so I didn't know what to expect. Anyways, here are some pictures

the other spectators:

DSC_0002.jpg

the Handlers' meeting:

DSC_0227_cp.jpg

These handlers get to leave the post

DSC_0194_cp.jpg

Cattle seem to be less cooperative than sheep:

DSC_0167_cp.jpg

DSC_0185_cp.jpg

DSC_0188_cp.jpg

More:

DSC_0164_cp.jpg

DSC_0165_cp.jpg

DSC_0177_cp.jpg

cattle crossing

DSC_0184_cp.jpg

it was pretty exciting how they had them cross the road from one pasture to another. Twice they decided to make a break for it. I don't think I got any shots of that, though.

Those are wonderful pictures. I got to spend time watching BC's work cattle in NC and it was the best day I've had in years. Those dogs sure are amazing to watch and they seem to really love their work. I'll always appreciate that person letting me spend that day with them.

Thanks for sharing your pics!

Miz

I agree with Julie, in liking the calm, low-stress, good-working photos the most. The "least exciting" work is the best work.

Wonderful pictures. Thank you for sharing us. Trials are very interesting. It impresses me to see how exactly the dogs do their herding job.

I prepare to take part at a trial with my BC Liska in January 2008.

Wow, those are awesome! Someone I know from another board (in CA) was going to a cattle dog trial this weekend. Might've been the same one, I'll have to ask. Thanks for sharing these great shots.

Rof, good luck to you and Liska in January! :rolleyes:

Wow, lucky you! That's something I'd love to see myself - shame on me but I like the "action" - but pictures are the next best thing. Thanks for sharing!

Love the action shots, too! I think it would be so interesting to see such an event in person - thought I might be scared for the dogs. When I see the pictures I know everything ended up being ok - so maybe I prefer the pics :rolleyes: Got more?

Got more?

yup. There were surprisingly many red dogs there.

DSC_0007.jpg

One of the reasons the display is biased towards action shots is that the other events were too far away, and I had to shoot through a fence:

DSC_0027.jpg

Here's one of the relatively few calm ones that I liked from a photographic standpoint (I prefer the one with stock and dog in the same frame, but that's a purely aesthetic bias. I can understand your point though, Sue and Julie.

DSC_0163_cp.jpg

Here's one for Julie, though unfortunately it is not sharp:

D80Test2028.jpg

Am I correct - in these type of trials, it's ok to bite? If fact, if the cattle won't move- aren't they expected to? Just wondering as my ex-sis-in-law had a mighty tough ACD that was HUGE!!

Bo Peep,

In cattle trials you will not be disqualified if your dog grips. That said, grips should still be appropriate (head or heel) and called for. Often when a dog grips just because it can, you are setting up an antagonistic relationship with the stock and in the end it will do more harm than good. Usually the nicest work (calmest, efficient) will be grip-free or nearly so. Generally the dogs that win at cattle trials are not the ones who do a lot of biting.

J.

Thanks for the Kelpie shot!!!!!!!!!! As to the gripping- having only seen the sum total of ONE cattle trial, I feel like I learned a little... Dogs who barked and hopped around, were utterly useless- probably felt like an annoying gnat to the steers, and those that were calm, and didn't hesitate, but didn't RUSH in, that is, they were methodical, and strong- won the race- so to speak. Cattle just don't work anything like sheep!

That said, I don't think I could work a dog on cattle, those kicks are something.... I saw one dog get clobbered in the face, and he was bleeding- he went back to the handler, but she sent him back and to his credit he kept working- albeit further off the cattle. I found it frustrating to watch, because these were not dog broke steers, and since every dog had a fresh group, well, all their time was spent breaking the steers to the dogs...

Thanks for sharing!!! My friend was competing and exhausting. He said the cattle were super tough! I didn't see him in any of the pics though :-(

Jennifer

Thanks for sharing!!! My friend was competing and exhausting. He said the cattle were super tough! I didn't see him in any of the pics though :-(

Jennifer

There are about 200 shots I didn't post - I might have one of him. When did he run?

Sorry, I'm not sure when he ran! Don't worry about trying to sort through that many pics! Thanks for asking though! He ran a dog named Bull.

Jennifer