BC Boards

Bones

This is probably a dumb question, but can a dog have too many bones? LOL I think I adopted a beaver. Poco could go through a couple of good sized bones a day. As of this moment we only have one nub left in the house, and I have never run out of bones. It is wounderful because I can sit him down with some bones and he will chew for hours, but is ingesting all of that raw-hide at once bad?

Yes, it's bad for them to eat too much rawhide at once (or real bones for that matter). Something I learned is that the pressed (layered) rawhide chews are safer than the regular, but I can't recall why. I don't feed my dogs rawhide. I think it has something to do with potential blockage. Feeding too much of anything that is slow to digest can cause blockage, which can be fatal if not surgically corrected. At the least it could cause constipation.

Do you have a kong you could give to Poco? That would keep him busy for a long time, particularly if you had more than one for back-up. I had to crate rest one of my dogs for weeks so made up a bunch of frozen kongs with broth inside. He could eat as many as he wanted and it kept him occupied.

Raw bones would be better than rawhide, and will keep him occupied even longer. Grass fed beef bones and large pork or lamb bones all make for a relatively safe and healthy chew. If he's really trying to get chunks off a non-consumable bone, take the bone once he's at that stage, but if he's used to rawhide probably he won't be a heavy cruncher.

The kongs are good and fun too.

If you feed bones or stuffed kongs, remember to reduce his food some so he won't overeat himself (which will definitely make him sick!).