BC Boards

Combo mobility/pulling harness

http://www.ldsleather.com/comboharnesses.html

I'd like to order this harness Monday but since it's so pricey and long term, I wanted to hear your thoughts in case y'all think of something I hadn't thought of.

The wheelchair pulling handle can be removed. I figure it's a good idea for me to have that option available in case I end up in a wheelchair again. The other handle is for me to hold on to so that I don't slip and fall on the snow and ice here. Falling scares the crap out of me.

My Uncle Joe is building that cart for me. Finally found someone to do it! I'm so anxious to get that thing made and in use! We're working on a design where I can have one or both dogs pull me (wheels replaced with skis for the snow) and also be able to pull other stuff around without me in it. What a great help it will be!

Boy and Fynne have been having a blast since we got to Michigan. Boy has been going pretty much everywhere with me (not public places yet though) so that I can get him ready for working. Fynne has been to a bunch of new places too. Both dogs have played with other dogs, run on the treadmill, played in the snow, been around horses, etc. It's been a great month or so for all three of us!

Both Boy and Fynne have been to the nursing home multiple times to visit my grandmother. I have some vids and pics to post for you this weekend. Fynne did great each time and of course Boy loves all of the attention!

I hope y'all have a good weekend, and please let me know if you have any thoughts on this harness before I order it.

Miz

If I were getting a harness for pullign, I'd prob get a softer one than the LDS stuff. I think I've also heard that their harnesses tend to be pretty bulky and heavy for all but the largest, sturdiest working animals. Personally I like the Freedom Design harness as a multiuse harness and if I was doing service related tasks, that would be my choice.

Freedom Design USA

It does look heavy, but it's only 1.75 lbs so not bad at all. I looked at the harness you mentioned but there is no sturdy handle for me to hold on to for support so that I don't slip and fall on the ice and snow. In fact, I only found 3 harnesses total that have a vertical handle for support, two from LDS. If anyone can find any others then please let me know. I'd like to avoid buying two seperate harnesses since funds are limited. In fact, I'm hoping this harness can be worked on so that I won't need yet another harness for the cart. We'll see...

Have you looked into having a leather work or tack person in your area design a custom harness? That might be an option - and depending on the place it might be cheaper while being exactly what you need. Remember that you'll want a harness that puts weight directly over the shoulders for mobility assistance while walking and a harness design that allows for straight pulling when using a wheelchair (two traces often work well from what I've heard, plus teaching the dog to pull straight rather than offsides, all with sufficient padding and a design that will prevent chafing (often a common problem with thick leather harnesses from what I hear).

I wonder if you could work with a craftsperson to retrofit this type of carting harness: http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0006270613717a.shtml

Delta Society has a great list of suppliers of equipment - one even makes pulling harnesses and will do custom work! :rolleyes:

http://www.deltasociety.org/ServiceTrainersSuppliers.htm

Hey Miztiki,

I've seen someone using what looks like this mobility harness/pull at our health care centre. If you think it will be functional for you then it's probably worth trying. Maybe inquire about return policy in case you are not satisfied (I didn't look for it on their site). Good Luck.

I like the way that pulling harness looks Erin and may get that for Fynne for the cart.

I will take the LDS harness into a custom shop and see if it can be fiddled with so that it's a 5 in 1 harness. I want it to have the vertical handle like shown to support me, the other handle like shown for pulling a wheelchair (which would be infrequent since I can't sit in them for long w/out hurting), padded and whatnot in the front for pulling the cart (and wheelchair), room for a backpack or something so he can carry a few small things around, and room for a blanket/coat type deal so he doesn't freeze his butt off while I'm ice fishing or out carting for hours.

That may be asking for a bit much from one harness, but that's what I'm aiming for. Fynne will need just one pulling harness for the cart though and the design and price on Cabela's looks reasonable to me, so thanks for pointing it out to me.

'

I used to run sled dogs. That harness from Cabellas would be very uncomfortable for a dog to pull very much. I think you would be better off with the newer skijoring harnesses that don't restrict shoulder movement. I've got to go out but I'll find links for comfortable pulling harnesses later.

Wow, I think I should start a new business- that's a heck of a price they've put on that harness for the materials that are there. I make horse harness so I'm familiar with what work and material goes into making a harness from leather or biothane. If I were you, I'd take a photo of that harness and go visit an Amish harness maker in your area, take your dog with you so they'd be able to figure size. I'd be willing to bet you could get the same harness made for a lot less than what that company is charging.

http://www.akkosports.com/english/harnesses.htm

JH or the MH (I've found BCs to be very pointy chested compared to huskies.

http://www.blackicedogsledding.com/page5.html

Deluxe Competition harness

The spreader bar keeps pressure off the hips and chest. A lot of people use a weight pull harness for their sled teams because they like them better than the traditional X back.

http://alpineoutfitters.net/Secure/scripts...p?idCategory=16

urban trail harness

http://www.sleddogcentral.com/equip&supplies.htm

I don't agree with allowing a dog to pull from the side of the wheelchair. That is terribly hard on the dog's joints and spine. An average sized BC can be reasonably expected to HELP a person in a wheelchair but not pull all their weight. They just aren't large enough to pull someone alone. You really need at least 3 adult BCs to comfortably pull an adult without assistance on flat surfaces.

Thank you for those links, and for the tip on Cabela's harness. I have not spent the time to look into pulling harnesses yet. I know Fynne and Boy are shaped differently so will have different needs. This cart will be for both dogs to pull me around, and it will allow me to get Fynne out for socialization without me hurting so much. Depending on how well she pulls and how her socialization goes, I'll have another cart built that will be permanent.

Remember, Boy is not a BC. He's a big dog, and I'm not even 100 lbs, so he's quite capable of pulling me in the wheelchair when I need him, which is very infrequently.

Nicole, that is an awful lot of money though, isn't it? But I really need that mobility harness like yesterday, so I'll get it. I just can't risk falling. I do think taking the harness to an Amish leather shop for some custom changes is in the future though so that it can be used for other things as well.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll let you know how it works, maybe post a pic or two!

I have the Urban Trail Harness for skatejoring with Maggie and LOVE it. You can get extra D rings if you're going to use it in non pulling situations as well and their customer service is absolutely wonderful! I highly recommend that company. :rolleyes: