BC Boards

Haha.... I know that feeling, I'm not ALLOWED to go to the bathroom without Shadow, she freaks out when she can't see me.

Lol! Same here. Ed follows me everywhere. If I go to the bathroom and he doesn't sneak through the door with me he sits outside it whining!! :rolleyes:

LoL, got two of these too :rolleyes:. When I've brushed my teeth in the morning, I get directed via a body block, a look and a tail wag, to my room where I'm supposed to change into outside clothes - just politely enough not to bring out a "Hey, I'm no sheep!!!" response!

Kyla is less polite, but then my mum doesn't have a temper. Kyla tells her when it's time to go to bed, by staring. If you reach out for her, she moves around to the other side of the table and continues staring. When her "sheep" finally does get up to go to bed, Kyla does that funny roar :D "Took you long enough!".

(Disclaimer for the worry warts: we do these things in our own sweet time no matter what the dogs tell us to do. :D )

Quite funny!

But who is the cartoonist? Where and when was the cartoon published? Let's not get upset about photos being used without permission and not credited to the photographer, and then do something quite similar ourselves with the artwork of another!!!

The copyright lawyers among us may tell us that it's OK to use a copyrighted cartoon for our amusement since we are not profiting from it (is it??), but I feel pretty sure that there isn't any fair use that doesn't even ask us to credit the copyright owner!

Not trying to be b***chy here, just wanted to point out an inconsistency.

Not trying to be b***chy here, just wanted to point out an inconsistency.

To what end, exactly? To make others feel bad or silly for wanting to protect what is theirs in an entirely different context? Instead of pointing out inconsistencies you feel about other people presenting other people's works, why not worry about your own feelings about protecting your own property?

I have to agree with Jan. If we don't want others using our work (photos) without proper credit or permission, then it would be nice if we showed the same courtesy to others. The point isn't about making people feel bad Laura, it's about, as Jan said, behaving consistently, and I think it's quite a valid point. While I can see where you're coming from with the "out of context" comment, the fact is that copyright is copyright and we ought not to infringe on anyone else's, even if it is in a different context. In other words, we all have the potential to infringe on others' copyrights, and probably do so more than we even realize, even if completely unintentionally. It's perfectly acceptable to want to protect your own copyright, but each of us should also be aware of any copyrights owned by others and protect those too.

Personally, I think the joke is adorable, but it would be fair to the artist to credit him/her and note where the caroon originally appeared. It's the same as when we post photos in the gallery of our dogs taken by someone else and so give the photographer credit for the shot. Common courtesy.

J.

Well, my point was more that any copyright infringement is indeed wrong, but there seems to be a slight backlash going on whereby those who have been victimized by it are being taken to task for wanting to protect what is legally theirs. I find that odd and kinda disturbing. It's not as though those defending their copyrighted material are the ones posting others' copyrighted material without attribution/permission.

Laura, it was not my intention to make anyone feel bad for enjoying an entertaining cartoon. I certainly do NOT think it is acceptable to download and use other people's photographs from the internet, without permission and without attribution. But that is exactly what has happened with this artist's cartoon. My purpose was to raise our sensitivity to the issue. It's a pervasive problem on the internet. Here on this board, I would like to see us be consistently respectful of the creations of others, be they drawings, photos, music, or whatever.

ETA: The "context" is another thread currently active in Coffee Break.

Well, my point was more that any copyright infringement is indeed wrong, but there seems to be a slight backlash going on whereby those who have been victimized by it are being taken to task for wanting to protect what is legally theirs. I find that odd and kinda disturbing. It's not as though those defending their copyrighted material are the ones posting others' copyrighted material without attribution/permission.

Since I'm part of the "slight backlash", I'd like to point out that I never said it was wrong to feel possessive about your images, although I do not feel that way myself.

What I find odd and very disturbing is the amount of aggression that adults display towards a young kid who's made a harmless little video, without thinking about copyright but also without any negative intentions.

I feel the same way about threads where people complain about "stupid idiots" wanting to pet their dogs or give the doggie a cookie. Of course it's YOUR dog. Or your photo etc. And you're entitled to protect it as aggressively (or as calmly!) as you choose to do. Nobody's trying to take that right away from you. But the other side had harmless, friendly intentions while they committed the "crime". Does that not matter at all anymore?

Sorry to take this so far OT, but I felt I had to try clarify why I feel that way - wonder if I managed to do that, though :rolleyes: .

OK, I know, this is directed at me. And in a way, I guess I deserve it. I received that picture as a mail forward and printed it out on letter size. I never went searching for it, neither did I use it in a slide show or video of anykind, taking credit for it or not given someone credit.

I don't mind someone saving and printing a picture I took, I just want to make sure no one is implying they had any credit in taking it. No one would assume I made such a cartoon - obviously it takes someone with talent, which I certaintly not have.

Thanks.

Anda,

I don't think the comments are directed at you, other than maybe peripherally as it relates to the thread in the Coffee Break section. Lots of people print out cartoons and the like to festoon their offices and cubicles. I know I've done it plenty of times. I don't think copying a picture and posting it on a wall in your home or office is the kind of thing that upsets people (since it's personal/private use). In fact, I think what's been mentioned here is exactly the point Pearse was trying to make in that thread (i.e., yes, it's thievery, but I would be willing to bet it's the same sort of thievery that many of us are guilty of--the best example probably being the use of music on videos we create), and so while it's okay to be upset if someone does it to us, we also ought to be aware of when it's being done to someone else.

This is what folks should be taking away from this conversation:

My purpose was to raise our sensitivity to the issue. [emphasis added] It's a pervasive problem on the internet. Here on this board, I would like to see us be consistently respectful of the creations of others, be they drawings, photos, music, or whatever.

As a writer, I am somewhat sensitive to this issue. The fact is that no one should use someone else's work without permission, and it's certainly okay to be annoyed when someone does that to you, but it also pays to think about the issue whenever you (the generic you) are in a position to do the same (that is, use someone else's work). No one should take this as a personal attack. It's really just about raising awareness of an issue.

J.

This 'funny' thread has got rather tense... :D

It's an unfortunate side effect of communicating by written messages. If we were all talking as we sat around having a cup of coffee together, I don't think it would feel that way. Emoticons will never take the place of facial expressions and tones of voice. :rolleyes:

Anywho....i would just like to jump in and say i liked it and was having fun reading the posts about your dogs following you....then the fun was lost, but oh well here is my funny part too, all my 4 Borders follow me to the bathroom but only 2 will go in, the others fret that they may have to take a bath!! lol!! my funny dogs!!:rolleyes: