BC Boards

Considering another!

Kailyn is now almost 11 months old and on surfing some BC rescue websites, it appears that we may have fallen for a four month old pup in the States. Before we consider adopting a new pup, we have some questions. Kailyn has a best friend on our street, a BC that is almost 1 year old. They play regularly, at least 4 times per week and adore each other. They are both females. So....our questions.... 1. Would bringing a third dog into the mix be okay? We would love to have the permanent companion for our dog and we also would love to have a second pup, but we want to make sure that everyone will

get along.

2. Would a male be a more suitable choice when 2 females are already present? Both girls have been spayed and do generally get along with other dogs.

3. What age is best for bringing another dog into the household? We don't want to do it to early.

and finally,

4. What are the laws for bringing a dog across the border into Canada?

Thanks for your help

Your first few questions... I'm not really sure about. The general "accepted knowledge" is that a M/F pair is less likely to get into fights, two females can sometimes get bitchy. But sometimes they get along fine. I personally would rely more on the dogs' personalities to judge a match.

As for number 4, there really isn't much of a hassle. My brother adopted a dog from Washington state (he lives in BC) and him and my dad drove across the border, picked up the dog, and drove back home. Make sure you have whatever papers, especially rabies certificates, but they generally don't care too much about anything else.