BC Boards

eh, ok pet me.

Well let's see I've had Holly for about 3 months and everything is going great. (She is 3 years old)

I do have a question though. When we are out walking and we come across other dogs or people she really doesn't show any interest in them. If the dog comes and smells her she'll do the same, but after that she is done.

It's even more noticeable when we a playing Frisbee at the park, a dog could come running up to her, and she' doesn't even acknowledge they are there. Her main concern is when I?m going to throw the Frisbee.

She also does with people, she will tolerate strangers petting her, but you can see it in her face that she would rather have me giving her a tummy rub. She isn't aggressive, but more indifferent to the whole matter.

Is this normal? Don't get me wrong, I love it. I'm just wondering if others have seen this in their BC.

Corey

Holly sounds exactly like my Rob. He is a wonderful dog, but could careless about other people he doesn't know or other dogs.

His world is me and whatever we are doing at the time. The one exception is if you have a fishing rod in your hand. Any person with a fishing rod is his new best friend.

Holly sounds perfectly normal to me. Give her that tummy rub from us!

Shoshone is that way. She'll go up to anyone that she thinks might have a cookie for her, but that's about it. She's my girl all the way. About 1/week, she'll nudge Terry's hand for a pet, but that's it.

Buzz, now, is determined to meet and get petted by everybody he can. They're just different personalities.

Ruth n the BC3

Ouzo acts similar to other dogs. He likes people, however, but as long as there are no tennis balls around. At the dog park, all he cares about is us throwing balls to him, and if we don't do that, he would go and hang out around other people with tennis balls

It kinda bothers me that he is not playing more with other dogs at the dog park. Eventualy he would chase some (especialy if they are in possesion of a tennis ball :rolleyes: ) and try to herd them.

But I wish he would respond more to the playful invitations of other dogs.

No, instead, he prefers to stare at me or my husband and let us know he's ready, whenever we are, to chase a ball

My GSD/Chow Jaida is that way. She doesn't play fetch or anything, but tolorates ppl petting her, and does sniff other dogs, but that's it. She does love on the family, rubbing against us and totally loves the 5 of us. Everyone else is chop suey!

Now, River my BC, LOVES everyone. Seeks out ppl and dogs alike to say hi to. But when she's playing fetch/frisbee at the dog park, she could care less that a dog wants to sniff her. She's just watching me and when I'm going to throw the ball/frisbee.

And that's ok with me

With Cheyenne, there is only two reasons she has an interrest in people. Do they have food? And will they scratch her back? If not, she will ignore them! Jackson, however, is convinced he has known every man, woman, and child in another life! He acts like he knows them! Dogs, OTOH, he is leary of until he is convinced they won't eat him! Then he is fine.

My late Meg was like this - even with people she knew well, she didn't seek attention but I was not allowed to forget that she was there! Sara has a select few people that she will seek attention from - the rest and/or strangers she could less about unless they invade her house or yard. Katie (bc mix) has never met a stranger and has even gone through a screen door to get to people on the sidewalk to meet them! :rolleyes: Thankfully the strangers liked dogs and she was belly up showing nothing but friendly attitude!

I'd say it is pretty normal. Tess is like you describe. She really has no interest in strangers unless they seem to be frightening ME. Then she gets very huffy until they go away. :rolleyes: Tess avoids other dogs except Kipp.

Kipp, though, will go up to anyone and everyone to say hi and get a pat. Kipp does not really seem to enjoy other dogs unless they are his size or smaller (he is a little guy) and bigger dogs are immediately told off and herded around, usually away from their owners.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Chili's the same way (got her from a BC rescue at 18 months). Not aggressive at all, just could care less about other dogs. She used to be the same with strange people, but then she figured out that people that come to visit will throw her ball. Now she won't leave them alone