BC Boards

Vent on down command

OK Reyna is 4 months now and has been doing the down command for a month now and all of a sudden she won't do it. She looks away when I give her the command. I have been very good about not repeating the command. I never give up until she has done it. Some times I have to "put" her into the down. Should I give her praise and treat if I have to put her into the down. Am I pushing her to much. She knows sit, down, stay(sit and down), wait, and of course come. Thanks everyone in advance

Our obedience trainer said that a few weeks into training most (all?) dogs have a major regression and suddenly forget everything they know. She said it's frustrating, but you just need to be firm and patient and it'll "click" again.

With Reyna, is it JUST the down command? That makes me think it might be something physical - some reason she doesn't want to go down.

Or it could honestly just be a childish thing, not wanting to just because I don't want to. :rolleyes:

When Jackson would get a little rebelious, I would make him stay in whatever command I had given him for longer than normal. The longer it took him to do what I wanted, the longer I made him stay that way. It didn't take long for him to figure it is better to just do it!

I don't have a lot of experience, but I would say make it fun and be careful about making it into a battle of wills. You could just reward her for being in a down position ( when she is simply lying around ) by saying " good down !", throwing a treat ( let her know you have a handful of them ! ), so she has to get up and get it and then seeing if she will offer you the down position again - make it into a game. Then ask for it and only reward if she does it quickly. I wouldn't force her physically into a position, but that is just me. Good luck !

Most pups (around that age) will go "backwards" in training. The good thing is, it usually only happens once or twice.

Clicker training would really help for that command. But also just make it the "automatic" behavior. Every time you let her outside, or play ball, or give her food - anything - make her down first. Make that command the most fun - and do more work on it then any other command.

Also I agree with the method that Zoe said - reward her for ANY down, commanded or not.

I also wouldn't do to much forcing, more luring or, if she really needs help, just use the tips of your fingers and push down right in between her shoulder blades.

One more thing, when you are training (until this problem is solved), don't do a recall from a down, don't make her sit from a down, don't make her do ANYTHING from a down - the idea is that you do not want to reward her for getting out of the down.

Thanks you guys. I will try everything stated and see what works best for her and I. I don't recall her from a down anyways but have worked on sit from a down in the past. I will make sure to keep that off limits for now. I don't think it is anything physical because of the way she plays with my doxie and the look on her face says "I don't want to" or "you can't make me...can you?". Thanks everyone again!!!