BC Boards

"go on" over the jumps

BJ has a problem with not "going on" when I push out in front of me to take jumps away from me. Not a good thing. He's not toy motivated, but extremely food motivated, so I have been looking and looking for a "toy", not a tug type toy, that I can put treats in, to I can throw over the jump ahead of BJ so he will keep going instead of stopping just because I stop or change directions.

My agility instructor had this really neat looking thing that was about two inches in diam., , six inches long, clear plastic tube with a soft rubber top and bottom that had a slit in the top that you could dispense treats from but the dog could only smell them from. She said Home Depot had these by the nails. Well they don't any more I guess.

I swear in my web searching I saw someplace there are toys you can put treats in and throw over the jumps for the dog to follow, but I can't remember where I saw them.

If anyone can help me remember I would really appreciate it.

Geesh. . . getting old stinks!!! It's a wonder I can even remember a course after going over it a dozen times in practice. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Debbie, did you actually ask at Home Depot? They still sell those thingies here, at least. Anyway, check this page out, see if any of these would work. http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...;category_ID=22

They have something that's just like the nail thingie from HD:

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...mp;ParentCat=22

I have the Tug n Treat. My dog still won't tug, but it's good for holding treats and you could throw it out ahead of him, or lie it in front of a jump chute or whatever, to send him to it.

PSmitty,

Ya, I actually checked at 3 HD's in my area and no one knew what I was talking about. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

Where are they in the store??

Thanks for the links.

The containers are exactly what I was looking for!!!

I knew the people on this board would come through for me. They are the greatest!!! :rolleyes:

I use my treat bag that hangs on my belt. I just make sure it is closed and toss it over. Because my dogs know very well that it contains treats (I've been using it for years) they are more than happy to follow it over. They then pick it up and bring it to me for a little tug and then, if they've done something exceptional that we've been really working on, I let them stick their noses in and eat all the treats they want (only for a second) for a jackpot.

I like the treat bag cause I can't juggle carrying a food tube and running a course. If I put it in my pocket I can't get it out in time to throw it. The bag just hangs on my pocket or belt and can be grabbed off quickly. Plus you can jackpot really easily.

Olivia

You might want to consider doing a lot of work on the behaviour of fast, confident sendaways in one direction (even when you're moving in another) on the ground first before introducing jumps. Targets with food on are okay, though also consider clicker training the target behaviour. I taught my little girl to work away confidently over jumps by getting her really keen on her fleece tuggies as a pup, and then using a fleece tuggy lead in training. Her reward is always there at the end of a sequence, both in training and in the ring :rolleyes: - and she does not need me there either.