BC Boards

It's too quiet around here: Spay Day

Today Kaylee's getting snipped and microchipped. The house is way too quiet, and DH and I are moping without our little b/w girl friend. We usually have a morning game session with her, and the toys look sad, strewn about with no one to pay attention to them.

Kaylee's been progressing sort-of, in the last month. Gentle Leader has helped with walks. We are working on a good down-stay during meals.

She still bothers the cats, wanting to play with them. Doesn't get that hissing means 'Get out of my face, you canine imbecile!' She knows she goes to her crate for a time-out if she loses it and chases a cat down the hallway. I have three little sirens in the house that will sometimes send her to the crate.

She's learned to bark at passers-by she can see from the front window. She's learned that she gets to stay with me in the office with the door closed if she doesn't stop.

The biggest issue is still insane wiggle-bounce greetings of new people, which has earned her the title of 'Projectile Dog' from one of our friends. She knows what 'Off!' means, and will respond with a Sit, but intercepting her before the first jump is the current challenge. At least she has outgrown the submissive-pee part of that. She's 5.5 months old.

Can y'all offer any suggestions for keeping a freshly-spayed BC quiet for a week? For a day, even?

I used the "down" time after Recon's spay to teach her different tricks. I don't recall which ones exactly she learned at that point, but it was several of them. Lots of mental stimulation. She's a ball fanatic, though, so she kept wanting it to be thrown... to get around that, I made her lay down, then rolled the ball to her. She got to where she'd push the ball back to me with her nose...so we spent a LOT of time rolling the ball back and forth between us. It was fun for her (I guess, anyway, she seemed to love it) and it kept her from moving a lot....so maybe you could teach your pup that?

I used the "down" time after Recon's spay to teach her different tricks. I don't recall which ones exactly she learned at that point, but it was several of them. Lots of mental stimulation. She's a ball fanatic, though, so she kept wanting it to be thrown... to get around that, I made her lay down, then rolled the ball to her. She got to where she'd push the ball back to me with her nose...so we spent a LOT of time rolling the ball back and forth between us. It was fun for her (I guess, anyway, she seemed to love it) and it kept her from moving a lot....so maybe you could teach your pup that?

Ball rolling is a great idea, thank you! She blew us away recently when she learned to roll a basketball in about 10 seconds, and played keep-away with a 10-year-old boy, to his great delight. Indoor ball-rolling we will definately try. One indoor game I'll use again is 'Find It': ball or toy loosely wrapped in a towel: good for mental stimulation.

I hope Kaylee is doing good. Is she home yet? I know it's rough when they're gone. But she'll be even more happy to see you now :rolleyes:

Miss K is home now, obviously sore, but not too uncomfortable to gnaw on a marrow bone. We've got a t-shirt on her, upside-down with tail thru the neck, knotted on top, to keep her from licking the incision. Looks pretty silly!

I don't know if others have gone through a bit of puppy-grief with a spaying. I know all the good reasons to spay, and I'm certainly not knowlegeable enough to be a breeder, but there's still a wince there. Pups ARE sweet, and there is that grandpup thing...

What you did is a very good thing. About 500 BC pups will be born this month, but only 50 will stay in their first home. Only half of the others will ever find a home at all. There is far to many BC's in shelters/rescues to not spay or neuter. Thanks for having Miss K spayed.

About 500 BC pups will be born this month, but only 50 will stay in their first home. Only half of the others will ever find a home at all. There is far to many BC's in shelters/rescues to not spay or neuter.

:D:D *sniff*

Beki, give yourself (and Kaylee too :rolleyes:) a big pat on the back for getting her spayed.

What Kat said. Well done to you for taking care of your girl, and best wishes to Miss K. She should bounce back almost straight away - your job will be to persuade her to take things a little easy for a few days - good luck with that :rolleyes: .

Well, um, she stayed low for one day, but is up to all her old tricks now. Her incision is healing perfectly. We tried to teach ball-rolling, but she likes to pounce and keep, and offer the ball to our feet when we are trying to walk, etc. I've made sure she hasn't jumped much, or run on stairs or anything, and her incision is fine, so far. No playdates or dog park this week, though. A big bone has been very helpful.

The cute thing is that she has a row of four little spots just like buttons up the midline on her tum. All they had to do was connect the dots!

I realized this morning that my puppy jones is coming from the fact that Kaylee was 10 weeks old, rehomed to us, when we got her, and I wish I'd had more of HER babyhood to enjoy. I'm just a mushbucket, and she's growing up so fast! My baby is 31 pounds now, and not 6 months yet. I think she's going to be a tall BC.

I would NEVER breed a dog irresponsibly, especially a BC, and will rail right along with all of you at those who do.

Oh, that's good to hear she's making such a good recovery. And yes, I do know what you mean about the baby puppyhood - but just go and have a puppy fix with the baby pics in the gallery :rolleyes: .

I liked the mental picture of the 'join the dots' on Miss K's tummy.