BC Boards

o/t getting video from dvd onto web?

hi everyone:

I know this is o/t, but also, there are many wise folks out there who might know how to do this...

I have a dvd that I would like to put (some) on the web (at youtube.com). I cannot seem to grasp how to save some of the dvd onto the hard drive, and then, I guess onto the website? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

julie

Hmmm....you speak in code. :rolleyes:

Can you play the DVD in your DVD player hooked up to your TV?

When you put the DVD into your computer, does it automatically open DVD player software and play, or can you see the disk and actually go into the disk and open up the folder and see the video files?

If it's burned from a video - who owns that video? If it's a copy of someone elses video, you may get into copyright issues. Just letting you know! (I make interactive DVD's so I am always on the lookout on how to NOT get sued!) Is the video a commerical video? Or just a copy of someone's b-day party or whatever?

You can PM me about this too if you want!

Denise

Hi Julie,

Your computer platform isn't specified....so I'll point out a tool that is cross-platform.

MPEG Streamclip is available here:

http://www.squared5.com/

It allows you to extract/convert video files from DVD (and other sources). DVD video is generally stored as a VOB file in the VIDEO TS folder of DVDs.

This can be opened/edited in MPEG Streamclip...and exported as an MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format at 320x240 resolution with MP3 audio.

Resizing your video to these specifications before uploading will help your clips look better on YouTube.

You can use iVideo or Windows MovieMaker to do the same type of job....but the app mentioned is faster.

Note that you will also need to download annd install Apple's QuickTime 7 to use MPEG Streamclip.

Windows:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/win.html

Mac OS X:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mac.html

You'll probably already have V7 if you're running a recent OSX version.

Couldn't post this earlier, sorry!

Ok, if you put the DVD into your computer, is there anyway that you can get to the DVD in it's drive and open it up? If you are on a PC I can only suggest that you throw it out the window and go buy a Mac. Sorry! :rolleyes:

If you are on a mac, just quit AppleDVD and double click the DVD icon on your desktop.

Once you throw away your PC and get a Mac (or figure out a way to navigate to your DVD drive and open the disk) you should see some files. Find the VideoTS folder and there is where the video files should be.

You may need a editing software if the clips are too long. Do you have anything like that?

I see a post that has some info on how to get the files up once you get them off the DVD! Have at it! Good luck!

Denise