BC Boards

Play Behavior- Ear pulling

Hey everyone,

My border collie/aussie mix is almost two years old. He gets a lot of attention and exercise. We take him to the local dog park for daily run/play time. Several times a week he gets to go twice a day. We work on obedience and play ball at home. He's a great, friendly, awesome dog, who doesn't really ever chew on our stuff and loves to cuddle up. At home he is really laid back while at the dog park he can run with the best of them.

At the park he loves to chase and be chased. He usually matches his energy level to the dog he is playing with. If they want to wrestle, he's more than happy to play like that. The problem is, he's really good at wrestling and usually always can get the other dog down. Sometime he doesn't want to let them back up. Sometimes he holds onto their ear to keep them down. The dogs this happens to are usually about the same age as him, just under 2 years and are usually the same size if not a little bigger. The dogs are usually really submissive. If I pull him off, the other dog usually comes back at him to play the same way. I'm not worried about him hurting another dog. In the seven months I have been taking him there he has never been in a fight or hurt another dog. If the other dog gets annoyed at him , he lets up right away. It's usually the owners of the other dog that gets upset. I tend to think that's what dogs do. With little dogs he is really gentle, letting them climb and jump on him.

How do get him to stop the ear pulling and get him to let the other dogs up? It's not every time we go. But there are certain dogs he does this to who are often at the park.

People object to the ear pulling? Seriously they're dogs, as long as no one's yelping, snapping, being constantly picked on, or trying to get away, it's all normal play. I'd be concerned that interrupting normal play might cause more problems. My youngest likes grabbing ears and feet and sometime neck ruffs.

Guest SweetJordan

Some people don't understand dog play. Our dogs have always played like that. Riley(BC) her best friend is my mom's dog who is a mini doxie. And due to the size difference she lays down on the floor to let the doxie pounce on her head. She gets her ears pulled on and little doxie arms wrapped around her neck and she loves it. She waggs her tail and comes back for more. My labs never did the ear thing but have always liked the neck ruffs.

Wow, wouldn't those owners freak out if they saw what my guys do to each other! At least your dog does it when the other dog is stationary. We've got the attached to the ear on the run thing going on here - they all do it (well, not Ben, he's way too dignified, and Cord's in Cord World).

I had one dog years ago who had a pierced ear - I never saw it happen but I imagine it was from his play buddy grabbing his ear in just the right way. It was in just the right place that it never even bled much - ears can bleed something awful but this didn't. And he had that little hole in just the right place for a pirate earring. I sure was tempted . . . :rolleyes:

I'd say that type of play sounds pretty normal :rolleyes:

Tucker's mouth is big enough that when him and Chesney are playing he can grab the back of Chesney's neck or right above his hips at his waist. Most of the time though Chesney is quick enough to go for Tucker's front feet and get him on the ground. Lots of scruff grabbing while running at full speed goes on at our house too, until someone gets annoyed with it (usually Tucker is the one being put on the ground haha Poor kid)

Yup my Ben loves to grab on

One of his friends a lab about twice the size of him he runs with her but he is holding onto her scruff and barking the whole way

They both love it and if he isnt in the mood she will go and pick up a bottle (the prize toy in the park) and run past him till he chases her

Looks sore to me but she dosent seem to notice

Also he loves the floopy ear breeds.

About a month ago a little Lasa apsu (sp) gismo ,him, and his pall Blue (a 6 month old collie pup) were playing and ben had gismo by the ear and blue had gismo by the tail and they were pulling him all over the park

Gismo LOVED it and kept going back for more

Thankfully all owners were fine with it - we couldnt see for laughing

My dog seems to be outgrowing rowdy play :rolleyes: but early on, he'd play in the backyard with a beagle mix down the street. You'd think that dog would be pulled apart by now! Buddy would grab her neck or ears and then she would run at top speed, trying to get away, while he held onto her body parts. But she always came back up smiling, wanting more. They're tough little buggers!

Mary