BC Boards

Camping

My hubby and I are planning to spend alot of time camping this summer. We'll be splitting weekends between spending time with his cousins in a trailer parc they visit during the summer away from the city, and spending time with my mom and sister who do the same, just in a different trailer park.

Dogs are allowed but have to be on a leash at all times :rolleyes: . . . I don't want my baby to be on a leash 24/7.

Someone suggested I get an excersise pen, but I've never seen one before. Do you guys know anything about them, would they be okay for Odin? The only one I've seen is only for small dogs and is only a little bit taller than Odin, so I would need something bigger, I just don't know if they make them bigger or how much it would cost me.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Oh, and would he be happy in one of these pens? Or would it just be depressing for him?

Here is a link to the itty bitty one I found at Canadian Tire . . .

http://gateway.canadiantire.ca/driver.php?...45524443281015_

But won't he get tangled in trees or something? Or if he's playing with Rocky? (Rocky belongs to my dh's cousins and will be there as well)

edit: Not that I'd leave him unattended, but if he does get tangled around trees and such, 50 feet seems like alot to untangle :rolleyes: btw, is this what you are talking about?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396670059&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443273068&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1 145501316872&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true://http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortme...fromSearch=true

That link didn't really take me to anything.

Anyway, I would suggest a 30 foot soft leash and yes it will tangle somewhat, but not that bad unless you have him in a bunch of trees. Better than being fined for not having a dog on leash.

Our dogs get tangled up but I'm worried about it untill they really can't function because they are so tangled. It really hasn't been that big of deal for us and we have camped several times like this.

We use 50 foot lead and a long runner rope around two trees. I put harnesses on the dogs that way the leads don't get tangled around their legs. We slip the leads through the runner rope and this allows them the freedom to walk all over camp and not even realize they are leashed up.

We just did camping. For Libby and Sam both tie outs and 15 foot lines. We made it to just where they could play together but not get all the way around each other. They enjoyed it, especially the walks. Would have like longer but we saw how close the sites were to each other: even 15 foot had them in another site.

*****Sam picked up ticks at the campground! So if you haven't got Odin on something... I would do it. Oddly enough Sam with his fine ruffie hair got the ticks but Libby with that Lab hair of hers didn't get a one. Go figure.

Enjoy the camping!

Kee, I typically take two Ex-pens with me when we camp. I have the 42 or 48" tall ones, can't remember. At any rate, I connect the two, and use some extra tent stakes to secure them in the ground. I wouldn't ever leave them there unattended, but for while we're cooking or telling stories around the campfire it gives the puppers a chance to hang out with us, and move around a little, but not be tied. I also on occasion tie them out as well.

I can't remember where I got my ex-pens at, I think it was www.jbpet.com . I also like the ones that www.dog.com has. I will probably get my next ones there. Oh, and I get the black metal wire ones. I have a feeling the mesh ones would be breakfast for someone.