BC Boards

Psycho Pups

The Z monster was boarded with Maggie for a week and I swear she came home 10Xs more wired than when I dropped her off. I'm sure a lot of it is the extra confinement, though she did get to romp w/ other dogs every day, but I think I may have stumbled across an interesting phenomenon.

Miss Z will be bouncing off the walls, but as soon as she gets a chew bone, she suddenly calms, even if she only chews it for a few minutes. Do any of you notice the calming effect of chew bones on crazy pups? Z's about 8 months old now.

Does she gets bones regularlly when you are home? Did she get any bones while boarding?

If she gets them daily while at home, and did not get any while boarding, she could just be excited/wanting to chew since she didn't get any for week.

My dog doesn't get bones while being boarded so she is always very happy/excited when she gets a bone after I get back and goes straight to chewing.

She always has nylabones available at home and had one while boarding but it dissapeared. :rolleyes: She has chilled a bit in the past when given a chewy, too, so it's not just a deprivation thing.

I always get my dogs new smoked bones when I want them to stay settled down. Eg. holiday dinners with lots of company, after spay/neuter surgeries etc. That yummy smoky smell and taste and the marrow to lick out is irresistable to them.

I give our crew a chew when my son's guitar teacher come over just for that reason. Jenny and Casey are calm most of the time but Mac ( 10 months old ) still gets so excited when we have company, I find he just sort of zones out when he is chewing on a bone... even his eyes get this I've gone to my happy place look.

A bowl of ice cubes can be a nice puppy project too.

Yeah. Until Rain takes them all one by one onto my couch and lets them melt there. :rolleyes: