BC Boards

Stress Colitis

MaggieDog

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Diane, metronidizole is an antibiotic that you would have to get from your vet. Probiotics can be used on a daily basis. I don't give them to my dogs everyday but I do if they are going to be in a high stress environment or situation. For instance, I am leaving tomorrow for 4 days. Two of my dogs have already left and will meet me where I am flying to. Four of my dogs will stay in my home with a dogsitter and the other two will go to my parents house. Everyone started getting probiotics in every single meal starting yesterday and will get them through a couple days after I get home. It just helps to keep the good bacteria in check and prevent the bad stuff from taking over even in a stressful situation. You can pick up probiotics just about any drugstore.

Heard back from the vet and I'm to give 2 doses of the diamycin assuming her tummy stays settled, continuing the reglan for a few doses past that (gradually weaning her off), and continue using the metronidazole for another 2 or 3 days.

She had a small bowel movement this evening after a nice long walk - it was soft but formed, so def positive progress. :rolleyes:

I introduced about 1/2 her normal kibble ration into her rice mixture tonight and so far so good, though she does have some pretty rank gas. Fingers and paws crossed that the positive progress continues.

Diane - I've heard of a number of dogs that seem sensitive to Innova - you might want to try a more simple diet. I like California Natural Lamb and Rice personally and I know several people who have had success switching to it when Innova didn't work. The two foods are actually made by the same company (Natura).

Good that you got her in then! Anyway- a side note- I had my Boxer on Reglan, and Metro-- and it really threw him for a loop- he behaved very oddly, I had to stop it.

This is an interesting thread. When I saw Reglan being used on the dog that reminded me of some cases of anterior enteritis in horses when I worked for my equine vet. We used Reglan (metoclopramide) on one very severe case. As I recall it managed to jump out of the stocks. After this rather frightening episode I asked my boss what caused that. Apparently , in horses at least, it can cause some hallucinogenic behavior. I was always a bit tense whenever we used that again.

Carolyn

I would stop giving her the chicken broth for awhile and see if that helps.

If you feed EVO and give the white meat maybe try switching to the red meat version.

Dogs can get stressed bellies when they are happy too. The running may not be the problem but being in that environment could even though she enjoys it. I have 2 dogs that love flyball but come Sundays they are loose sometimes. I know a lot of folks have the same problem.

The first time Tiga had colitis I was so scared. I had no idea what was going on. It started with diarrhea a few times throughout the night but in the morning he started thowing up and it was a lot and it had a whole lot of mucus in it. His poop did too. No blood, but sooo much mucus. The vet told us to keep him off food and water for the rest of the day and gave him a shot to settle his stomach. The next morning he was allowed water again and the next day he went on rice, then rice and chicken and then slowly back to kibble. He was on another pill for it too that I had to get at a drug store. He got it once since then, but since we know what to look for now we weren't as scared the second time.

He didn't poop for a few days after we were at the vet. Of course that started to worry me too, but after he started eating again he got back to normal.

I hope Maggie is doing better now. Big hugs to her!

Woo Hoo! Mostly normal poop this morning! (I'm so strange lol) Maggie had a pretty normal bowel movement on our walk this am - first time since Saturday really. It was mucousy, but formed and in the right amount, so yay!