BC Boards

Are any of our BC's related???

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, Julie! We'll have to see if Tess, a.k.a "The Tess-mania-n-devil," and "The Weasel Beastie," can overcome the loose screws she got from her dam and show off those Henry lines! Aheh, aheh, aheh . . . Okay . . . I can breathe now, ahehe.

Sorry, Julie! Upon further reflection -- once I managed to get a little oxygen back to the old brain-box -- I realized that the "Henry" you're referring to must be Henry Kuykendall, in which case I'd have to agree. They are a pretty darned distinctive line.

Even for a greenie like me, a lot of the Bomber dogs are easy to spot, too, looks-wise; though I'm not expert enough to say whether they have consistently similar working styles. Throwing talent is a whole lot trickier than throwing looks -- hence the registry split, eh?

Yep, sorry for the confusion, but I did mean Henry Kuykendall. The funny thing is that often you can suspect Kuykendall lines by their looks, and then when you see them work, you *know* (not that they are all cookie cutter when it comes to work--or looks--but certain working tendencies to seem to show up all the time--the result of line breeding no doubt).

I agree on the Bomber dogs, though like you I haven't seen enough different ones working to draw any conclusions about similarities there.

J.

Back to the original thread, I know what's up with most of Oz and Will's sibs, but have wondered from time to time about Tessy's. She's a Lacy bred dog: McKenzie x Toss, 2001. She does favor her grandmama, David Henry's Holly, in some ways. Work-wise: she's smart as a whip; has plenty of power, enough eye, very snappy responses, great outwork, great balance; is eager to please, but HOT, HOT, HOT! She's been a fun -- if a little fast -- novice dog for my teenager (Thanks, Karen!!!) and a good little back-up for the sheep work here. Now that the teen is off to college, my almost-teen is working Tess a little, and they get along great. I'd love to see them get all the way to open, but I don't know if Tess will have the stamina to get past pro-nov unless we can get her to chill out!

'Nuff o' that!

I am very new to the concept of lines and I find it extremely interesting.

Just for fun, I googled some of the dogs in Speedy's pedigree and found a couple of pictures of some of his ancestors. I also found some dogs bred from the same lines and I do see physical similiarities - Speedy ears and faces in dogs clear across the ocean! I know - it's about working ability, not looks, but he's my pet, and I am impressed by the similar looks.

That's just cool!

Happy was born at Weskys kennels on october 27th 2000, her mom is Dyna, and her dad Cajun, she is related to peachykeen dogs as well as granddaughter to Shorlands critter getter. Happy is half sister to several pups out of Lacys Kris.

Misty was born on november 6th 2002 in weyburn sask. her breeders are cleasbys paints and quater horses. her mom herds cattle and her name in Tia, her sire is sweep, who travels with a rodeo bull rider, named Luke Ellingson, and works a commercial cattle ranch when not on the circut. Tia's sire won the agribition sheepdog trials several years ago now, but I dont remeber his name.

Key Dogs from the Border Collie Family by Shelia Grew (Heritage Farms Publishing Company, 1993) has biographies of working BCs from the past, staring with Issac Herdman's Tommy and Dickson's Hemp and including Templeton's Moss. It's great reading, especially if you can trace your BC's pedigree back several generations.

Barb S

Felicity,

I have a Toss son, Simon, who is my main pen dog now that Luke's gone. Simon is 2001 as well, out of Tom's Jill (imported). He's a cool dog (to me), very easy to live with, tries so hard for me with the stock, and handsome, but that shouldn't matter. Karen bred him to Beryl for one litter, her last, and I have a pup from that one, Jane, who is a pistol. Beryl is a fabulous old dog and I really look forward to working with Jane in the future, when she settles down a bit.

I like the Roy lines, Luke was a Roy great grandson by way of Jack Knox's Danny Boy (through Eve, who still goes everywhere with me).

I liked old Roscoe, he was something else, a real stockdog. I'm lucky to have these dogs.

Debbie,

More cousins! Out of Jill and now D.H.'s Beryl -- nice! (My years of clerking have helped dispel some of my ignorance at least -- whew!)

So your Toss son is cool-headed? That's another data point to back up my suspicion that the buzzy side of our Tess comes from her dam. She's quiet and sweet in the house -- you'd never guess what a handful she can be. I'm hoping that more sheep time will help. Sounds like I'm knocking her, but I actually love this little beast. I asked Karen to let Annie pick from a litter of likely novice dogs based on parents -- what the last few years have taught me was a pretty tall order! If Karen was guessing, she sure guessed well -- Tess has done a super job for Annie, and now Emily, too!

You knew Roscoe? Lucky! Wish you could have seen Oz debut on cattle -- he loved every minute, even though I was decidedly clueless (went on to clerk for the remainder, however -- some really pretty runs, too -- so even though we managed to pen, I definitely won't be standing still and hanging on to ropes next time out :rolleyes: ). Though I never got to see Roscoe, and I know Ozzie's only a pale shadow of his ancestor, I couldn't help being pretty pleased with my boy.

You're right -- we are very fortunate to have these dogs!

Thunderbolt was born 10/13/03

Litter was 6 total

1 female and 5 males

All were red and white pups except TBolt

(out of 3 seperate litters that I witnessed over 3 years from this pairing there was always just 1 black and white pup and the rest were always red and whites.)

Sire was; Zachariah ABCA#181421

Dam was; Miss Dolly ABCA#206789

Thunderbolt

tboltsit.jpg

Zachariah

zachariah1.jpg

Miss Dolly

No picture of her but she is a classic marked red and white rough coat.

------------------------------------------------

Jasmine was born 6/25/05

litter was 10 total

3 red/wht females

4 merles,2 female/2 male

3 blk/whit, male

Sire was;Blazzin Bailey ABCA# 233759

Dam was; Zsa Zsa ABCA# 200839

Jasmine

jasminemarch9th.jpg

Blazzin Bailey

a06f2951.jpg

Zsa Zsa

zsazsa1.jpg

------------------------------------------------

Starla (who we have renamed to Lulu) was born 6/13/03

Her ABCA# 228400

litter was 7 total

3 females

4 males

Sire was; Harvey ABCA#93745

Dam was ; Abby ABCA# 131083

Lulu

lulufeb3th.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

It's awesome to read up about everyone's Border Collies! This really, really makes me wish I had a dog with a pedigree =P Rescues make up for it in love, anyway.

Not that anyone will care, but Gonzo was born in Elk Grove, CA, on a cattle ranch. His Dad is registered (I would have to look up his ABCA #) and his name was Waldo. No idea about his Mom, there was something wrong with her registration as I remember? She was a smooth coat red/white girl, his Dad was a rough black/white.

I think all are dogs are related if you go back far enough. :D

Dice?s Sire?s Sire (Alan Mater?s Jim ABC 47602) was bred by Charles O?Reilly. Jim?s Sire was Charles O?Reilly?s Shep ABC 3417 (Ralph Pulfer?s HOF Shep ABC 89 x Judith Allen?s Fly ABC 2107) and his Dam was Charles O?Reilly?s Paige ABC 27281 (Bill Berhow?s HOF Nick ABC 1778 x Deanna Wilson?s Liz AIBC 65447).

Her Sire?s Dam (Mike Fleming?s Tip ABC 84471) was bred by Trudy Mater. Tip?s Sire was Kelly Murnighan?s Jake ABC 24369 (R. W. Bruner?s Jack AIBC 57618 x Pual Beere?s Gale AIBC 82657) and her Dam was Trudy Mater?s Gyp ABC 22873 (Geroge Good?s Dave AIBC 41178 x James Sheaffer?s Lass).

Dice?s Dam?s Sire (James Wilkett?s Ike ABC 76074) was bred by James Wilkett. Ike?s Sire was Jimmy Hall?s Brit ABC 37209 (C. J. Gordon?s Cap ISDS 165400 x Cindy Von Beete?s HOF IMP. Peg ABC 37208) and his Dam was Steve Butler?s Casey ABC 27946 (Robert Roe?s Rowdy ABC 12138 x Robert Roe?s Woodland Jem ABC 13459).

Her Dam?s Dam (Cameron?s Sassy ABC 56662) was bred by Maurice and Sue Martin. Sassy?s Sire was Maurice and Sue Martin?s Gus ABC 34328 (Lee Hodge?s Pat ABC 8950 x F. S. Hollenbeck?s Mona ABC 15350) and her Dam was Maurice and Sue Martin?s Tina ABC 31554 (Lynn and Shirley Daniel?s ButtersettTweed ABC 23910 x Luther and Susanne Wayland's K.T. ABC 11471).

And yes, she is related to Wilson?s Roy too, who was the Sire to Deanna Wilson?s Liz (Wilson's IMP. Roy x Jack Knox's Ettrick Gin). :rolleyes:

Katelynn

Oh, fun! My two Roy boys are everybody's cousins -- Roy was one busy fellow! Ozzie's dam's sire is Barry Moyer's John, who also goes back to Buttersett Tweed, so Oz and Dice are cousins on both sides (probably even more links, since he has three Ettrick dogs -- Scot, Bob, and Jet -- back there too, heh!).

Our Tess may be related to Dice back there somewhere -- she has several Judith Allen Kelly/Judith Kelly dogs behind her (Image, ABC 110826; Trace AIBC 6515; and Tweed, AIBC 95957).

"They're cousins, identical cousins all the way, one pair of matching bookends -- different as night and day!"

My Keegan is related to Sue Rayburn's Celt...they are half brothers by way of their mother. I know that Andrea D's dog is related to Keegan in a way, but I cannot remember how. Locally, Keegan is related to another dog that runs agility by way of their father.

Tess is related to Becca's Anne and Laura's Rave...and others locally.

I haven't studied their pedigrees because I'm still trying to learn the whole herding thing...I can't overload my brain with too many new things to learn.

Felicity,

You mentioned Barry Moyer's John...Barry tears up at the mention of his old pal John. One of the sweetest dogs I ever met, and cool with his stock. I think John's still kickin', and Barry's judging Tom and Karen's trial (and I think Ethel's in May). You ought to ask him about him.

Simon...he's an interesting dog. I could not ask for a better partner, he's a combination of cool and zip. He can hang out at the pen all day at trials, be just as calm as can be, but keen, never quits watching stock. When I ask him to move, he's a rocket sometimes and way too quick for my liking (and the stock's)but he will draw up, keep his distance right and give me tiny little moves when I need them, stops so quick he scares me for the skidmarks. I'd like him to flow a bit, but he's got so much pressure inside he just pops when I ask him to do things sometimes (not always). I chose him from the dogs Tom and Karen had at the time, he replaced a dear old dog of mine, Calvin (Lacy's John -not Barry's, and Clyde, who was a female from Karen's Bill Crowe days, MacPherson's Zac grandaughter) BECAUSE (I run on) I liked Jill so much. I think the keen comes from Jill, but both Jill and Holly are dogs devoted to working for their handler, as well as being very keen and brave on stock. Jill thought she was the only dog in the world for Tom, and she set out to prove it every day. I saw Holly work as a novice 18month old with David, just starting out, and she was wonderfully natural and had that "want to be your dog" attitude too.

Toss is very cool and natural, and sensitive. Simon is kind of sensitive too, but in a tougher way.

Some days I just want to call him hyper, but he can lay around the house or under the bed (his favorite place to sleep) and you'd never know he was there.

Jane, to date, is like her dad Simon, and has less POP and better balance than he did at that age, and has beautiful style, probably from Beryl. Beryl is a real quiet steady thing, very powerful, very confident, but her days of being on the trial field were probably cut short by her hearing loss. It was never realized that this was her problem until recently, and it makes sense why she had the problems she had her last few years. I have her now, and knowing her makes it easy to see what's in store for Miss Jane, if I'm lucky.

I'd love to see your Tess work!

You guys mentioned Megan (Sue Rayburn's Celt dam)...you know how I got into this whole Border Collie mess? Washing Tom's trial dogs before big trials. Makes me smile, I did Rip, Midge and another dog for Karen three days after PTSing my beloved Lab mix Carly, and impulsively went to see puppies. First (and last) dog I ever paid for was Calvin (those who end up in Karen and Tom's "family" understand).

Well, back to Megan, I groomed Megan, Peg and Laddie for Tom Thursday so he could take them to KY Friday. Anybody who's going there, tell him how beautiful they look for me! Great dogs.

OT-SUE!! are you ready?

Okay, me again, then I gotta go run to Deltaville for Mother's day with Mom.

SOmebody ought to devise a game, kind of like "Seven Steps to Kevin Bacon" with Border Collies. I've thought about it before, just for fun.

Just checked the scores at Hanley's trial for Saturday, Tom is tied with Alasdair with 95 points with the beautiful, clean as a whistle Megan!

And Beryl's grandson, Fieldstone Britton was second in Nursey.

Debbie,

And I'd love to see Simon work! (I love the "under the bed" part -- Tess prefers our closet .)

I got to see Barry run John a few times, including his first open run at Sam's old place -- John was definitely a far better fit for Barry than James ever was! I hated to see them have to stop trialing, but we all have to put our families first, and I'll always admire Barry. It's great to hear that Barry has time to judge, now -- I'll look forward to seeing him one day soon!

We should try to work our dogs together some day, when schedules and gas prices permit!

The Cherokee have a saying for all of this.

"Mitakuye Oyasin"

(translates to)

We are all related.

This doesn't just apply to us two legged but it applies to all things in creation, so yes all of our dogs are related in a fasion but then we as well are related to them in a fasion.

Today is Mothers day and I wish to extend my best wishes to all the females regardless if you have biological children or not for you all have the nurturing ways that make you mothers in your hearts, may you be honored for that not just this day but every day.

Now as I have done for over 30 yrs I shall go out and plant a tree in honor of all of our Mother (Mother Earth)

this year it shall be a Bald Cypress

(as totem this tree will teach you how to take challenges and thrive with them in your life)