BC Boards

Help with the pooping!

Hi, its been a long time since I have been on here, many things going on. My Border Collie Harley is now 1 and half years old and my girlfriend recently moved in with her two Westies. I've never had an issue with Harley doing anything in the house. Now that the other two dogs have been added the male Westie is not what I would call 100% potty trained. One of the dogs pooped in my office and now Harley has started doing it. Its not like they aren't getting let out enough, just this morning they were outside, my girlfriend let them in and Harley goes into the office and poops. I haven't been able to catch anyone doing it so I havne't been able to properly scold them. Any suggestions of getting this problem in check? My nose and carpet would be much appreciative.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I had the same sort of issue with my cat :rolleyes: we got Shelby the puppy and the kitten started pooping and peeing on the carpet!! we just threw her out. i don't think you want to do that with Harley, but what I did when I had an angry dog that was pooping in front of doors, Before she got let back in the house I would close all the doors, and then watch her. I just didn't give her the chance to poop. and then praised her silly when she went outside.

So it could be a call for your attention, with the addition of the girlfriend and her 2 dogs.

or lol he could be marking the office as his.

somebody will have some good advice. :D

~elizabeth

Sorry to be nosy but what do you mean by, you just threw her out? Outside fulltime? or away, as in just put her out and never let her back in again?

LOL, No!!! I would NEVER throw My baby out! forever or even FUllTIME!! but up until she started her pooing rampage she had been indoors only. She goes outside while I am at work and is indoors when I get home and at night time.

Sorry to sound like I just threw her in the trash... I need to learn how to proof read :eek:

But since she has started going outside there has been no more accidents in the house, and to boost she is so much more calm.

but she is my sleeping buddy and she "helps" me clean by making a mess of whatever I am picking up :mad: but I love her!

Back to the OP...

Are you cleaning up accidents w/ a cleaner specifically for pet stains? If not, Harley is probably smelling the accidents and thinks it is ok to 'go' in the office now. I highly recommend an enzymatic cleaner, like Simple Solution, for pet accidents.

This is an email that I wrote to somebody who about to GIVE her dog away for peeing on the carpet. Granted Everything that is in that Email, somebody here as most likely already said in a previous post. I would suggest searching the old posts to find some more advice.

heres my email.

There is a commen mistake that alot of people make when trying to train a dog.

the mistake is punishing them. and I am very guilty of it myself. many people don't realize it but when they are doing that they are taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

she may be peeing out of fear, or anger. stop and look back and see if there is any reason for her to be afraid/angry. and work on it slowly. I rescued a dog from a shelter she had been in for seven months, and for the first 2 months I had her. peeing on the floor was a common thing! it drove me BATTY! and at first I rubb her nose it and got very upset. then realizing it did no good I stopped and looked around. She was nervous, and I was just making it worse.

I guess what I am getting to was that when she pees and you find it later. just have her sit by you while you clean it up. you don't get angry about it or punish her because she won't know what she is getting in trouble for.

when you catch her in the act. make a sharp noise and get her to stop. AGAIN don't punish, just get her to stop, take her outside to finish. and Praise her like she just found the cure for cancer when she finishes.

and other then that just start at the beginning. take her out every 2 hours or as often as you can. and when she goes, praise her silly.

this way she will learn not only to go potty outside. but that you are not a mean master. and she will want to do more to make you happy.

training is always eaiser and more efficent if done with love rather then fear. and I know that some ppl just don't realize that they are using fear tactics, but they do and its bad for training. unless you want a dog that fears you rather then loves you.

OH, one more thing. when you clean up the pee I recommend that you get a vacumme powder for your carpets. I forgot the name but there is one that leaves a scent making the dog not want to pee there.

from one humble pet lover to another,

Elizabeth

Sry I tend to ramble

I hope that this helps

If there were odors in the carpet to begin with I would have had a problem before this but it is a valid point. I use a steam vac to clean the carpet after all the messes. The day I started the post I had closed the door to the office for the day and picked up some natures miracle to add to the steam vac. When I got home someone had pooped in the master bedroom. I assume Harley because of the size and quantity. I cleaned all carpets the carpets using natures miracle. For the last 2 days both male dogs have been crated while I'm at work. Maybe a refresher course in crate training will help. Neither one snuck off to poop while we were home.

I also need to sound off on the cat deal, this is a sore spot with me at the moment. I have a huge problem with anyone putting their cat out for any period of time. Cats don't stay on your property, they wander. When they wander they become other people's problem. If you own a pet, it should not be anyone else's problem. Among other things cats like to lay on cars. Sunday I found scratches on the hood of our BMW from a cat that had been laying on it. If I find this cat and the person it belongs to they will be responsible for repairing the finish on this car and it will not be cheap. If you own a pet of any kind, make sure it stays on your property. There was a story here not too long ago about a guy that got tired of other people's cats on his property so he started trapping them and releasing them outside the city. While I get his frustration I don't necessarily agree with his methods although it is better than harming them. It is an example of how fed up people can become with other people's pets.

I'm sorry you feel that way about outdoor cats.

and is sounds like harley is pissed because of the new roommates. and it will just take some adjustment time.

HarleysDad -

Just a quick bit of advice on your bmw hood scratches; just buff them out. a cat's claws cant possible scratch through all the clear coat of your cars finish. And if you find the neighbor who cat did it, you should give him the option of buffing it for you if you dont want to do it yourself, cause as you said that wouldn't be cheap lol.

I have to agree with HarleysDad about cats. I am not a cat fan but my in-laws are. I am ok going to their house knowing the cats are going to walk on my van but I do not like when a neighbor's cat does it. I guess since it is on my property then the cats should stay away.

The worst was when I left my windows down and a cat decided to have a play session in my van (this included a mouse)... I should be able to leave my windows down without a cat playing fun games...

And yes I have owned a cat and mine was a home body. She would sit on the deck and that was about it. OK she was a tad lazy and couldn't be bothered moving off the deck.

I too agree about cats. Not only for the neighbors' sake, but for the cats. Outdoors wandering is NOT a safe place for a cat. Wild animals, cars, other cats, and many many diseases. You'd be shocked how many cats we get in our sanctuary with Feline Leukemia or FIV. These are passed from cat to cat, they are not curable and they severely compromise your cat's immune system. People take no issue with keeping your dog either indoors or leashed, but they don't do the same for their cats.

Anyways, about the pooping - at first I was thinking the scent wasn't getting out of the carpet but since Harley went and pooped in the bedroom afterwards... it sounds like he's trying to mark his territory, in a way. I'm not sure how to go about fixing that, either. :/

sorry about another off-topic post about cats, but I see the point clearly. I have three cats that are both in and outside cats. Although I've not once seen them in someone elses yard I wouldn't want them to bug the neighbors or mess with their property. But now that they go outside regularly I dont think I could successfully keep them in :rolleyes:

[Again, sorry for the OT] BorderC - It IS possible to transition cats, though it takes some patience. My own cat was found as a stray before ending up at the sanctuary and finally my home. For the first while he tries VERY hard to get out. But after a while he gives up and gets used to it. Also, I do take him out on a harness and leash so he can eat grass and get fresh air.

My cats have been on Invisible Fence for 5 years. Lucky, my throwaway kitty with issues, will NOT tolerate any other cats in her yard; word must have gotten around the cat community because I haven't seen another cat in my yard in years. (Mao, on the other hand, has always gotten along with other cats and would welcome new buddies or playmates.)

Years ago, I taught my cats to stay off my new van by watching out my kitchen window and using the remote to lock the doors which on my Dodge gives a little confirmation toot. They were quick learners!

Originally posted by HarleysDad:

I also need to sound off on the cat deal, this is a sore spot with me at the moment. I have a huge problem with anyone putting their cat out for any period of time. Cats don't stay on your property, they wander. When they wander they become other people's problem. If you own a pet, it should not be anyone else's problem. Among other things cats like to lay on cars. Sunday I found scratches on the hood of our BMW from a cat that had been laying on it. If I find this cat and the person it belongs to they will be responsible for repairing the finish on this car and it will not be cheap. If you own a pet of any kind, make sure it stays on your property.

I totally agree (about any pet actually) about keeping your pet on your own property and not letting it wander. It is also about time that they cracked down on this problem of letting people letting their cats wander. Then we might be able to get a handle on this feral cat problem.

I'm tired of seeing all the wildlife decimate in our area and the rest scared off. And I'm tired of all the cat urine on my outside children's play toys. I've seen cats peeing on my son's things!! Makes me so ticked off!!

Don't get me wrong I don't hate cats or anything but I'd really like my son to be able to play on pee-free stuff...

P.S

And my mom has cats and yes I've seen them scratch the paint off of cars. Some of her cats are 15-20lbs!!