BC Boards

Somebody's Christmas Puppy??? *Update*

Why oh why? Why Lord do you send them to me? :D:D But Im oh so glad you do!

Meet. . .um actually, I have no clue what her name is. See, I went out to pick up my chinese food and as I was coming out of the store this pup came running up to me on the sidewalk. Collar but no tags. The collar seems new because the color bled on her neck. I went around to the other stores in the shopping center and asked if anyone had a pup in their car that possibly could have jumped out of a window, but nobody knew where she came from. So then I went to the nearby streets, but almost all the folks that live there are elderly and were either asleep or wouldnt answer their door after dark. The one guy that did come to the door said he didnt think it came from that neighborhood. Sooooo . . . ..she came back home with me. :eek: Mad crazieness and zoomies galore! These three have been running around none stop for about an hour now. I think they are finally starting to settle down. She's cute, but I know she belongs to someone. I just have to figure out who that someone is.

You see the BC right? Im not crazy am I?

Of course she's a mix. I mean, look at that tail, but to me her face is all BC.

100_2176.jpg100_2185.jpg100_2169.jpg100_2180.jpg

Of course she's already peed in the house :rolleyes: Dh, might as well throw in the towel. He should know by now I cant say no to a face like that! Wish me luck on finding the owner. Im sure someone is missing this little girl.

What a doll! Reminds me of the spitz dogs I've known. But, then again, the Karelian has always looked like a BC spitz to me.

You do have all the luck. And a great DH as well.

Karelian Bear Dogs are so uncommon I would not be inclined to guess that breed -- also, in the photos she looks small but not that young (not shaped like a puppy). Who knows what she is. Anyway, she's a cutie and good luck finding her owner. Otherwise, congratulations on the new dog!

I wouldn't base too much on the tail - I know many purebred BCs that carry their tails like that when they are playing or just generally happy. (Not saying she is pb though...)

The fates have definitely blessed you with good timing. I usually see them when it is too late and they have already met their fate :rolleyes: , so you (and the furry ones you rescue) are definitely the lucky ones!

Thanks for having such a big heart.

We have two dogs at the bark park that look a lot like that, they are pure bred something or anothers :rolleyes:

I would not guess any rare breeds.

husky/BC, but then again because of size...

maybe akita/BC or even AE and BC.

looks kind of like a pup (a good chance if it is a christmas dog!). you think she is young? That would explain small size, because she really looks like an Akita, Husky or something similar to me.

I think the references to Karelian bear dogs were just remarks on the dog's appearance. Then you get into "possible & probable". And, while they are rare, there is still a miller or two in this country of this particular breed for the dogs to have turned up in Karelian Bear dog rescue. The fact that there even is a rescue for this breed makes me wonder how rare it is.

Anyway, it sure would be interesting to find out if she is a purebred anything.

She looks like she has tons of personality and is having a ball at your house.

Based on the teeth I'd estimate her age about 4 months. This is only an estimate (Raven, for instance, lagged on tooth development by a few weeks, so her teeth made her look younger than she really was), but generally at about 5 months the adult upper canine tooth is starting to erupt, and at 6 months it's fully errupted. This pup still has her baby canine teeth on the top there, and I'm not seeing an adult canine breaking through.

Anyway, when looking for the owner, that's the ballpark age of the pup, but don't rule it out if you have someone say they're missing a puppy that's a little older or a little younger than 4 months. Also, based on the wide range of suggestions about what breed she looks most like, I wouldn't limit that too much, either, in your search for the owner (or perhaps the owner's search for the pup). Maybe just describing the puppy would be better than suggesting a breed (should you be putting up fliers or ads in the paper). Although if you DO locate th onwer, it might be interesting to know what breed she really is.... :rolleyes:

If/when you advertise her in the papers I wouldn't even describe her.

Have the caller do that. Otherwise it makes it too easy for callers to lie and say she is their dog if she isn't.

I'd just put "Found puppy. Call to identify" in the ad.

That way- if it's their dog, you'll know.

Be sure to contact the local humane societies, animal control and animal shelters to let them know you have her. This is where the owner is likely to look first... rather than in the newspaper.

When I find a dog like this, I take photos with me and leave them with the humane societies. I really don't see a problem with "fake" owners coming forward to get the dog. In our area, we have a 60-70% euthanasia rate for dogs at shelters. I think chances are slim that somebody would go to animal control just on the off chance that they might be able to get a free mixed breed dog by claiming it as their own.

Good luck!

Columbia, MO

For sure give photos to local shelters/vets. That is the first place people are told to check for their lost pets.

I like letting callers identify the dogs a bit. Even if you give a quick discription like "black and white, prick ears, curly tail" that would be great and let callers give a bit more info for verification.

I hope the little one finds her home!

I put up a flyer in the Foodlion with just a pic of her face and front legs. All it said was "Found. .for information call ***-****" The ownere should be able to recognize her and be able to describe her right down to what color her collar is. She's doing well. I kept her in a soft crate while I was at work today.

She's not fond of Buddy though. . . I mean they get along fine most of the time, but for instance when I come home and everyone gets let out of their crates, she starts barking agressively and lunges at him. Im trying my best not to put up with this behavior. I have to be honest, ive never had to deal with it before. For now im either removing her from the situation completely (depending on the severity of the outburst) or making her sit and a firm "NO" everytime she opens her roughneck little mouth.

And earlier, I went to visit my MIL. When we got out of the car she greeted their yellow lab very politely and they were completely fine. But when it was time to leave, when we walked out of the house and the lab was lying down outside, it was like they had never met and she was barking and growling, doing her best to get at him. Any suggestions?