BC Boards

Weigh-In

Ok, I know border collies are really fit when they're in shape but for some reason Black Jack looks really skinny. He can't be over 30 pounds.

And I was wanting to know, are you supposed to be able to feel their hip bone sticking out? I know if you can feel their ribs (without them sticking out) that they're probably good. But his hip bone bothers me. Maybe it's just me. :confused:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really know. I'll ask them today when I go in. They might even have a scale I could use to know for sure what he weighs.

Well, Jack is 63 lbs, you can feel his ribs and such, and he's about 21 inches at the shoulders. He gets fed about a cup and a half of food once a day. The vet says he's not overweight (about a year ago he had to lose about 5 pounds).

I recall his mother being a big dog (I only met her once, when my ex picked Jack up-he wasn't originally my dog). And at the time, I knew little about border collies, so it didn't occur to me that Jack might be a big guy!

4 months sounds a little more realistic

At 4 months she was about 17 lbs so that puts her at 34lbs which sounds more right then almost 50lbs! lol I dont see her getting anywhere near 50lbs

Originally posted by PSmitty:

Liz beat me to it, but I have always heard to double their weight at 4 months to get a guess at adult weight.

That sounds reasonable to me. Using that as a way to predict his adult weight, Zeb should top out at about 42lbs. He weighed 19lbs today. If he continues at his current rate of growth (1lb/wk), he should be 21lbs in two weeks when he turns 4mo.

The four month mark was pretty right-on for us. Hoku was 24 lbs at about 4 months (he's a rescue, so we don't know his exact age) and he is now 50 lbs and 25" at the shoulder at about 15 months.

Kristin, Hoku the huge and Gussy the goof

Is there any guesstimate on how tall they get? like the 4months=1/2 weight? Something similar that helps predict height?

Hmmm. Interesting. FWIW, the "four month rule" would have been totally off for Finn - he was 28# at 16 weeks, which would have made him 56# as an adult, but MUCH to my relief he's only 42# now (despite the dire predictions of various allegedly "in the know" BC people that he would be 60# or more.) I personally am best at guessing what the adult weight will be when the pup is about 16 weeks or older, though TBH I'm doing it based on sort of seat-of-the-pants judgement and not by doubling the 16-week weight.... I should try that for a while and see how it pans out. It's all a rule of thumb anyway, not an exact science, but I'd be curious to see if that holds more or less true, especially as the majority of the time I'm asked this it's because the dog is an unknown mix and the owners have no idea what to expect.

BTW, for those who are curious, Raven now weighs nearly 24# (mainly legs, at this point), which I believe makes her the smallest of the Twist puppies. Not that she's lacking for energy, mind you, and she DOES eat about 50% more than Finn, who is roughly double her weight... :eek:

The rescue we got Allie from indicated that she weighed around 18 lbs. or so at 4 mos. We adopted her at 6 months (she weighed around 25 lbs.) She now weighs 30 lbs. (all legs :rolleyes: ) at 19 mos. and appears to be holding at that weight.

I think that some dogs are just genetically going to be bigger than others. Also, some seem to like to eat more than others, too. :D

Originally posted by BorderC:

I dont think she's that small Alicia. Maybe she just looks small cause she has short hair? if the 6 month weight was half then she'd be 49.2lbs! which is pretty big for a female border.

Also, if they knew what a jack russel looks like, they wouldn't ask you that lol.

That's a thought, I havent seen many small female short coat BC's, at least none that were as small and lean as her. Maybe she looks smaller because of hair, or lack of it ;D

And that's exzactly what I was thinking. Looking at my pup I cocked my head and thought, "What kinda Russel's are YOU seeing?" lol Certainly none that I've ever seen :rolleyes:

Liz, Finn is 100% ABCA BC and has always been lean, even as a puppy. He just grew fast on the front end of the growth curve and then slowed it way down. (FWIW, at 16 weeks I was estimating 45# for his final weight, but that might have been more wishful thinking than a good guess on my part, because I did NOT want a 60# BC!)

OK, here's my puppy pic. We're new to the board- BTW thanks everyone for all the excellent posts, it's been most informative and very helpful!

This is Zoey, she's a lively, almost 9 months old and is up to 32 lbs. She's just starting to get in her big dog coat and longer fur, so she's looking pretty grown up already. Zoey is a great dog (except for that time last month where she pulled out all the wiring in the refrigerator door), super friendly and always happy around kids. We love her to bits.

zoey-8mos.jpg

Ok, well the people at the shelter said that he was up do date on all of his shots, and everything else too.

I'm thinking that maybe he's just a "smaller" bc.

I do think that if he got some really good food that he would fill out some, and his coat would be silky smooth.

P.S. My Mom is starting to ask about the kennel I'm going to buy, and where I'm going to keep him. So maybe I can buy my Christmas present this year :rolleyes:

Woo-hoo! That would be awesome. I'm hoping for you! :rolleyes:

P.S.

I will post pics of my two soon but it will be from a camera phone so the pics may not be the best...

Lafitte is really long and lean - at roughly six months he is 32 lbs. He looks SO skinny, though. My dad always teases me and asks me if I "starve" my dog :rolleyes:

Arggggg, I have no I idea anymore what to expect as Tucker's adult weight. I weighed him today,

45 pounds and 19.5 inches at the shoulder. He still has alot of loose fur and his feet still look a little big for his body. I am thinking he will max at about 50-55 pounds. I just don't think he is going to get quite the height I expected out of him. His full brother is already about 22 inches but probably only weighs 40 pnds. I guess Tucker is just going to be a stocky little guy. Or is 19.5 that short? I don't really know, I am just so used to BIG Border Collies.

Thanks,

Betsy