BC Boards

Brag! The Woobster Moves to the Head of the Class!

Guest WoobiesMom

Guest WoobiesMom

Despite a trying week cooped in the house and no practicing whatsoever, my Woobie tested out of Level 3 in obedience on Saturday ahead of all the other dogs in our training academy. The place I go to is new and had only been operating about a month or two when we joined. Woobie had spent months in Level 2 because he couldn't manage distractions. Then suddenly seemed to get it and has progressed really rapidly. The Level 3 at this place is a heel at 3 different paces, sitting when halted, quick reliable down, left turn heel, right turn heel, about turn heel and a 30 ft. recall (with a drag line, I'm still paranoid w/him). He's now ready to begin work on some of the CGC tests (meeting a friendly stranger will be our biggest hurdle I'm sure) and start thinking seriously about competitive obedience.

He still swings wide and sits at about a 90 degree angle to me most of the time when halting. Any ideas for getting him to stick closer?

Congrats to you and Woobie!! :rolleyes::):D

He still swings wide and sits at about a 90 degree angle to me most of the time when halting. Any ideas for getting him to stick closer?

I condition the dog to stay in heel during a halt by practicing next to a wall or barrier. When I start, I will put a treat on my dog's nose when he is "sandwiched" (not tightly, but enough to make the point) between myself and the barrier/wall. Then I cue the "sit" or whatever cue you are using and lure the dog back into the sit, just like I did when teaching the dog to sit in front at first.

Soon, I drop the lure and fade the food on the nose (at whatever rate is needed to keep the dog successful). Once the dog can halt in heel with reward only (no food), I gradually move away from the barrier.

Another thing that might work is put the dog in sit at your side and reward the heck out of him. Then, cue the dog to heel and take just one step and cue a sit right away. Reward the heck out of the dog. This is actually a "molding" technique. Some say molding doesn't work, but I find it highly effective in some cases. Once the dog learns that sitting at heel is extremely rewarding, the tendancy to swing out on a halt will decrease.

Also, only reward correct halts in heel, never when the dog swings out front. I wouldn't "correct" a dog for swinging out front - I just make sits in heel highly rewarding and the behavior comes.

That is great! Practice as part of everyday life, heel down the hall way, sit stay at the bathroom door(you know he's there already) or bottom of the stairs. It will be second nature by the time you do the CGC(which is really very basic stuff). A lot of people take the CGC test and think their dog is "trained for good" when it's really only the beginning of training. Keep it fun!

Boomer and I compete in Rally and we also have problems with sitting far away from me and crabbing when he heels. When I practice at home I do a lot of heel work in hallways, or along a wall. When we step away from the way and he maintains the close heel I click and treat to let him know that is what I want from him.

Kathryn

Congrats!! I'm envious. Rivens issue is being around other dogs without flipping out and completely ignoring me. You know where selective hearing kicks in and everyone stares at me cause she's barking like crazy. It is getting better, but its still a long way to go. CGC will be ours someday lol

Just curious. But, isn't CGC an AKC sponsored test?

Kathryn

It is but JJ got his thru PetSmart and I just paid for the obedience class. By the time Jake graduated from his 3rd obedience class that particular PetSmart didn't give the CGC test anymore so Jake is CGCless and will remain so. But you know what?? I don't care. I know he's smart and that's all that matters to me.

Guest WoobiesMom
Just curious. But, isn't CGC an AKC sponsored test? Or is there another one? It seems from the other thread regarding ILPs that no one would support an AKC sponsored event.

Kathryn

Shoot, I don't care, Woobie is a mixed breed anyway. BUT, I think that if I register him with AMBOR (or somesuch) then I can ILP him into something or other... I don't know all the acronyms. I do know a local club does the CGC tests and I'm just doing it with him for the fun and accomplishment. I don't care if I do it with the IRS, the PDQ, or the XYZ!

:rolleyes:

Congratulations, Woobie! This is great, given the amount of issues you two had to deal with. He's turning into a great dog. Not that those dogs who don't get obedience classes are second class citizens - got a big goofy one myself. Heel? What's that? A body part? says Ouzo :rolleyes:

Guest WoobiesMom

Oh and thanks everyone for the hallway tips! I don't have a very long one, but it'll do. And I have a decent length of fence in the yard and there's loads of fenced in areas at the park, so that will be our next exercise!

I don't know if we'll ever get the CGC or into competitive obedience, it's just nice to dream. :rolleyes:

Just curious. But, isn't CGC an AKC sponsored test? Or is there another one? It seems from the other thread regarding ILPs that no one would support an AKC sponsored event.

Kathryn

The thing about the CGC is that there is absolutely no alternative "Good Citizen" testing done by any other organization that I know of, whereas every sport is offered by venues other than AKC.

Some training centers require passing a CGC test in order for a dog to be permitted to take more advanced classes, and it's really the only thing I know of that one can work toward as a training goal before, or in place of, training for sports.

The AKC doesn't get any money for you taking the test, though. If you pay a fee to the training center/tester, you are actually paying that center/tester. You only pay AKC if you send in for the actual certificate.

It would be cool if another organization had a "Good Citizen" program in place someday.

Shoot, I don't care, Woobie is a mixed breed anyway. BUT, I think that if I register him with AMBOR (or somesuch) then I can ILP him into something or other... I don't know all the acronyms. I do know a local club does the CGC tests and I'm just doing it with him for the fun and accomplishment. I don't care if I do it with the IRS, the PDQ, or the XYZ!

:rolleyes:

To simplify:

CGC is open to all dogs regardless of breed, including mixed.

ILP is only for purebred dogs to compete in AKC events

Organizations that allow all breeda and mixed breeds don't use ILP's. You just get a registration number from the organization that you choose.

If you do a CGC test through the IRS, your dog must file income tax forms. I don't advise it.

Congrats!! I'm envious. Rivens issue is being around other dogs without flipping out and completely ignoring me. You know where selective hearing kicks in and everyone stares at me cause she's barking like crazy. It is getting better, but its still a long way to go. CGC will be ours someday lol

"Control Unleashed" I tell you! It's beyond fantastic for owners of dogs that bark like crazy when working in classes with other dogs! A lot of training books repeat the same info we've all heard before. This one is truly unique!

Guest WoobiesMom
To simplify:

CGC is open to all dogs regardless of breed, including mixed.

ILP is only for purebred dogs to compete in AKC events

Organizations that allow all breeda and mixed breeds don't use ILP's. You just get a registration number from the organization that you choose.

If you do a CGC test through the IRS, your dog must file income tax forms. I don't advise it.

Ah, thanks for the clarification! I didn't know that about CGC, just that there is an obedience school here that periodically has an open test. I didn't know it was only thru the AKC. It's too bad the Delta Society (is that the one for service animals?) can't set something up. Isn't that the first stage for service animals?

Good Job Woobie..and mom, too!! When my boys passed their CGC tests there was therapy testing at the same time. My boys went through both, but we never sent in the paperwork for either. I think their therapy test was through TDI. In order to be certified by TDI, you had to pass the CGC, too, so in a way, they were partnering with the AKC, I guess. The club I belonged to didn't charge for the CGC test if you were in the advanced obedience class, but I think it was $5 or $10 if you weren't taking a class. I also don't know of any other canine citizen tests from other organizations.

Emily

Guest WoobiesMom
Good Job Woobie..and mom, too!! When my boys passed their CGC tests there was therapy testing at the same time. My boys went through both, but we never sent in the paperwork for either. I think their therapy test was through TDI. In order to be certified by TDI, you had to pass the CGC, too, so in a way, they were partnering with the AKC, I guess. The club I belonged to didn't charge for the CGC test if you were in the advanced obedience class, but I think it was $5 or $10 if you weren't taking a class. I also don't know of any other canine citizen tests from other organizations.

Emily

Was that at RDOC? I notice they periodically do weekends of lots of testings, tattoo clinics, etc.

Guest WoobiesMom

He has some issues, but we're working on them and he's recovering nicely. He's an absolutely love and has fit in very nicely. Hopefully in a few months, there'll be some beautiful "after" pictures to post.