BC Boards

About what age are border collies full height?

My BC is 7 months and 3 weeks old and she is about 18'' perhaps a touch more. I would also be interested as to when they might finish growing. A vet friend told me probably another 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

Border collies seem to vary quite a bit in height. At my agility club the mature females seem to range from about 16.5" upwards and some of the taller males are up around 22".

Wow, Kate! You're going to get tired of hearing "Ya got a saddle for that thing?" :rolleyes:

Alex is just got a mini dawg, that's all.

Jack is about 24" full grown, but I really don't recall him getting that much bigger after somewhere around 9 months or so. I should remember these things, I guess.

Here's how I'm measuring him: "From the bottom of his front paw to the top of his shoulder." This is the correct way, right? I use a t-square over his shoulders. Most of the time he doesn't even look that tall to me. His head is so large...Then he stands next to Georgia. We brought Georgia home when she was 8 months. We thought she was full grown then but she grew a couple more inches or so.

I was driving down the road the other day, thinking about when I drove home from the airport with Texi. He was able to curl up between my legs comfortably. Not now. <sniffle sniffle>.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

23" seems to be too tall for him. I use a fabric tape measure, the soft flexible kind. I put the dog in a very bad 'stack' and measure from the floor to the withers (where you can feel the shoulder blades on top of the back/neck area. Tank was exactly 20" last time I measured. I weighed him last week and he was still right at 30#.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

If he is really 23" tall and just over 30# he would be all skin and bones. Gracie my foster dog is probably 23" tall and 33# or so but her bone structure is very fine and she is not underweight. With the bone structure these boys have, if he was really 23" tall I would expect he to be AT LEAST 40lbs. But that's only because I know how thickly they are built.

both of mine stopped growing at around 8-9 months, and just filled out after that. I thought it took longer for Happy, but we mark all growth on one wall, with height, weight and exact age, and according to the wall Happy was already almost 20" tall at only just shy of 6 months, and she topped out an exactly 20 3/4 inches. Misty was only 15" tall at that age, and she topped out at 18" around 8 months old, but did not finish filling out till she was 3 years old.

It doesn't sound like you're doing it wrong, though I think you may need to make the trip to TX so I can confirm Tex's giantness.

Hmmm....That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I believe I've mentioned about a billion times that I just LOVE Mojo! :D I'm going to Wally World today to get another soft tape measure. Eric appropriated mine for school apparently. :rolleyes:

I think males tend to continue growing longer than females do. Sophie was full grown at six months. Admittedly, she is a bcx, though--probably bc/aussie/perhaps chow. She ranges between 38-41 pounds (not sure how tall--maybe 19 inches? I suck at measuring). Taz has continued to grow s-l-o-w-l-y forever. He is still filling out at 3 years old. He is tall, but very rangy and at last vet weighing was 42 pounds. His weight has not yet stabilized (keeps going up every time we weigh him, but he is not gaining any bulk, so he must stil be growing). His littermate sister stopped growing at around a year. His dad, who has a completely different build than Taz, is a giant among border collies, weighing in at about 55 pounds of muscle. Taz won't get that big, but I admit to a little fluttery concern every time Taz weighs in...