BC Boards

Fynne needs a home

I've missed seeing you around here, Michelle. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this difficult time.

It's a shame I will miss the fall colors. I haven't seen the colors in so many years.

You haven't missed them yet. We've yet to have a frost in SW MI and the colors are just coming on now. If you make it here in the next 3 weeks or so you should still see some color.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing, okay?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miz --

Sounds like you have a good attitude about this major life upheaval. Good on you!

But revisit your assumptions about heartworm and tick control in Michigan. While they're less of an issue than they would be in the South, they are still concerns.

But revisit your assumptions about heartworm and tick control in Michigan. While they're less of an issue than they would be in the South, they are still concerns.

Ditto to that. I'm in Michigan and HW is definitely an issue, as are ticks. Maybe not as bad as elsewhere, but I wouldn't dream of having my dogs unprotected especially against HW.

HW is not so much of an issue in Michigan for CATS. Here in Houston, one in ten cats will get HW and there is no treatment like for dogs, so our cats get a HW pill each month.

Maralynn, of course you are right and that made my day! They are about done at my gramma's and I figured they'd be about done at my dad's by the time I got there too. It will be over a week before I get there but of course there are trees further south yet!

I didn't sleep worth a darn last night. I'm going to miss Fynne an awful lot. This is going to be so hard. She will be in good hands though.

Thanks again everyone!

Miz

Ditto to that. I'm in Michigan and HW is definitely an issue, as are ticks. Maybe not as bad as elsewhere, but I wouldn't dream of having my dogs unprotected especially against HW.

Miz, will you have any internet access where you are going? We miss you so much.

I did not even know cats could get HW!! Does anyone in OH treat? We treat for fleas and ticks.

Miz, I am glad you both recovered from your tick illness. My cousin went through a terrible time with Lyme's disease and it took FOREVER to diagnose him ( a year) and he is a doctor!!

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Well Fynne is here and doing well. She looked at me a little quizzically when Miz left but she is doing fine now. She respected the boundaries I laid for her right away and so far has not started a fight with any dogs. I will let you know how she progresses here.

I live in Michigan and give both of my cats heartworm preventative every month. The vets were starting to see cases in cats and I was told that 1 worm can kill a cat. They are both on Revolution. My vet has had 21 cases of heartworm in dogs in her small clinic this year compared to 4 cases last year.

We just walked in the door. I'm so glad you posted something so soon! I lost it as soon as I walked out of your house. She'll probably be a little uneasy being in a new place and all, especially with a bunch of dogs, but she should settle in soon. She would probably appreciate her own spot to go to where she'll feel safe if she gets overwhelmed. We sent a crate rug that has our smells on it so maybe that would work.

Boy got out of the car and ran all over the yard looking for Fynne. Those two couldn't have been a more perfect match. He has an exciting week ahead of him though and will be happy where we are going so he won't be moping around for long.

Just about everything you might need to know is in that "book" I wrote. If you have any questions then please don't hesitate to contact me. She needs to go potty more often than Boy, small bladder like hubby I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if she whined tonight but some of it may be her needing to go out.

I wanted so badly to love on her before I left but didn't want to upset her, so if you would give her a little love for me then I'd appreciate it a whole lot. Please update me as much as you can these first few days. After that I'll be leaving and internet access will be spotty. I've put an awful lot of work into her and am curious to know how she manages around the dogs and a new person. The old timers here will remember how psychotic she was when we got her. Her name used to be Lucy and we called her Lucy-fer because she was such an evil witch.

Ok, ok. Thank you Debbie. And G'nite Fynne. We love you a whole bunch.

Guest JoeysMom

Thinking of you, Miz. Please let me know if you need anything. So glad to hear that Fynne will find a great home. You did right by her, and that is the most important part.

>I hope my dad doesn't mind too much. I've had him over 9 years and he's my baby. He won't need heartworm prevention there and ticks are not a problem >there so maybe I can swing it somehow. If not then at least I'll have the opportunity to try and find him a good home. I hope it doesn't come to that though.

Miztiki: According to vets here in Michigan, cats here also need heartworm prevention (even inside cats) and ticks are becoming more and more a problem every year (lyme disease also) problem on the west and southwest side of the state; not sure about the east side.

Best of luck for the future,

Barb S

Debbie, I am leaving in the morning so if you can please let me know how she is doing then I would really, really appreciate it. My husband and I would both like to know how she's adjusting. I hope she's being a good girl for you.

Last night Boy wanted to play and it reminded me of why we got him a playmate. I can only do so much playing because of my back and those two were so perfect together in every way. The house is awful empty with her gone.

Thanks for the heads up MaggieDog! I've been checking the boards here and her rescue site every couple hours or so since we dropped her off. She must have posted Fynne within the last few hours. I'm so glad her personality and temperament match her good looks now. She's a beautiful dog inside and out! I am hoping someone will get her involved in agility. I think she would enjoy that and be good at it. She's really fast too so maybe flyball as well? I sure would like to know if she has any natural ability with sheep too!

If all of y'all would please pray for her so that she finds a really good home. It would mean an awful lot to me.

Miz

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Fynne is doing just great here so far!! She does not -like- the other dogs (yet) but she no longer wants to eat any of them for dinner so she spends the afternoons with us outside in the yard. She hasn't gotten as far as wanting to interact with the other dogs willingly yet but like so many other dogs that have come through my doors, she is learning how to 'just be a dog' very quickly with the help of so many other well-adjusted dogs. She was posted on our site last night but as you see I have not had enough time with her to properly assess her personality and temperament to post a description of her.

Thank you for the update! I was getting worried.

How about you and her? Is she more more comfortable with you now? Is her wariness completely gone now? Is she playing with you or loving on you or anything like that?

Boy and Fynne had a "breakthrough" after 6 1/2 weeks and in that instant they were completely fine together and played and all was well. It was a huge turnaround. That happened while I had her on the leash. She raked the top of my foot and pulled the leash out of my hand. The two of them ran and ran and ran and I watched her posture change from being aggressive to just running and enjoying it. They finally ran out of breath and stood there facing eachother and panting. There were no problems from that moment on. Boy corrected her snarkiness a few times over the next week or two until she submitted, then he let her up and she showed him respect and then they acted like nothing happened. It was really quite awesome to watch.

If for any reason you don't think she will work out for you then let us know. We will move heaven and earth to make sure she's taken care of. I bet you my husband would buy me a house so that I could keep her if it was that or putting her down.

Please let me know how she is doing with you so that I can hopefully put my mind at ease. And thanks again for everything Debbie!!

Miz

Miz--I can't begin to say how much I feel for you and Mr Tiki having to re-home Fynne. I know just how hard this is for you and I'm so sorry for your troubles. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that her time spent with you guys and Boy, and all the work you put into Fynne's rehabilitation is what has made her so adoptable now. She's in good hands. Wishing you both all the best on your new journey and whatever lies ahead.

And Debbie, thank you for all you do!!

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Fynne's world has just been turned upsidedown. NO, she is not completely comfortable here yet and that is to be expected. Everything she previously knew is gone and in it's place is a strange home, a strange person and LOTS of strange DOGS, which she doesn't appreciate. She is still weary of everything here, including myself, but she's been here for THREE days. Fynne is learning how to be a DOG right now instead of a robot which means I am not doing a whole lot of forced interacting with her at all. I don't mean to sound rude but she is terrified to take a single step for fear of being corrected for doing so without permission. You should have seen her face when I didn't make her work for her dinner. She was like a kid of Christmas morning. She is settling in nicely but she has absolutely no clue what it means to be a dog right now and she has to learn that before she can be comfortable with anything else around her.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is the reality of what is going on with Fynne right now. I have worked with plenty of dogs to know by now that Fynne is not aggressive to people or dogs. She is just scared due to lack of exposure to anything outside of her little bubble. She has already made tons of progress and will continue to do so thanks to the other well-adjusted dogs that live here.

Fynne is in the best possible place right now. Debbie is amazing with these dogs. Fynne's going through a huge adjustment but she will adjust. It's just going to take a little while. I'm just trying to put your mind at ease some. If I ever had to re-home my two, Debbie would be the 1st person I would call. Fynne's going to be ok.